sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=Tacet-Conundrum;7108546]
Originally Posted by sharkster

Its says on your Website that you can but just to confirm you can perform this on an 996 GT3 correct?
Hey Tacet-Conundrum... we can and will be doing that. It's not released yet and won't be till we own/drive it (hint) See you later today...

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
Very cool - enjoy Snowboarder! Alex - FWIW - I haven't done business with you but I just have to say I've been very impressed after watching you on a variety of boards for a while now. You seem to be a true enthusiast and a class act and I can see why your business is doing so well. Entrepreneurial success is so dependent on the passion and commitment of the key individuals and you seem to have an endless supply.
Hi Bob_dallas, thank you ever so much- means a lot I can't believe how good these 3's are... I won't ever need a Turbo again
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex bud, you are right! Something will happen soon, thing is as you probably know from me already with all of my purchases (if you cared) my indecisiveness is crazy LOL.. It's a big purchase so to speak though, and something I want to be fully 100% sure and confident with. My Gt2 has been SO AMAZING, flawless and entertaining to no end, so switching to a GT3/RS both MK1 and modding will I be happy? I am unsure! Do I go for a MKII GT3? I wanted new RS but couldn't find one at MSRP, then I ventured over to the Lambo side, was going to pick up a Gallardo and TT it, then i'll need a racecar/track car to fulfill my REAL needs though once spring comes around as the Gallardo is such a poser car lol ... Wish I could have em' all.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Alex bud, you are right! Something will happen soon, thing is as you probably know from me already with all of my purchases (if you cared) my indecisiveness is crazy LOL.. It's a big purchase so to speak though, and something I want to be fully 100% sure and confident with. My Gt2 has been SO AMAZING, flawless and entertaining to no end, so switching to a GT3/RS both MK1 and modding will I be happy? I am unsure! Do I go for a MKII GT3? I wanted new RS but couldn't find one at MSRP, then I ventured over to the Lambo side, was going to pick up a Gallardo and TT it, then i'll need a racecar/track car to fulfill my REAL needs though once spring comes around as the Gallardo is such a poser car lol ... Wish I could have em' all.
Hey Martin.... You have a special GT2 so no wonder you're hooked to it. I've loved turbos, believe me... but it's the responsiveness and connectivity of the GT3 motor that I love so much.

I've got both and I think the MK1 is so much better "value" for money right now vs the MK2. The MK2 has less 'fight' in it over bumps if you will. It's not so figity but for 50K more... I'd go MK1

Gallardo is for garnering women I think My wife only allows me man-magnets (aka Porsches) but from having driven them they feel bulky and disconnected. Plus my Kermit's quicker than even an SL anyways hehe...
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=sharkster;7109863]
Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

Hey Tacet-Conundrum... we can and will be doing that. It's not released yet and won't be till we own/drive it (hint) See you later today...
Would like to apologize again for not being able to make it to the shop the other day. My better-half's uncle's mechanic shop couldn't pull off the neccesary work in time. And how were we to know that you cannot use standard transmission fluid in a 2008 Subaru? Ugh, that is the last time I do anything to one of my cars without reading up on it first. It's not like they sell this fluid in bulk!

Here is my conundrum... I want to get into a Porsche sooner than later. My better-half wants me to wait until I have the funds ready to spec out a new turbo from the factory. What I want to do is to get an 996GT3 and have the 3.9 conversion done to it so I have something comparable performance wise. And I know I can get into a Six GT3 before funds are available for the turbo; which is 18 to 24 months out there.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=Tacet-Conundrum;7115799]
Originally Posted by sharkster

Would like to apologize again for not being able to make it to the shop the other day. My better-half's uncle's mechanic shop couldn't pull off the neccesary work in time. And how were we to know that you cannot use standard transmission fluid in a 2008 Subaru? Ugh, that is the last time I do anything to one of my cars without reading up on it first. It's not like they sell this fluid in bulk!

Here is my conundrum... I want to get into a Porsche sooner than later. My better-half wants me to wait until I have the funds ready to spec out a new turbo from the factory. What I want to do is to get an 996GT3 and have the 3.9 conversion done to it so I have something comparable performance wise. And I know I can get into a Six GT3 before funds are available for the turbo; which is 18 to 24 months out there.
Not to worry! Always be another time and certainly best not to rush it. LOL you should see the procedure for trans fluid for a 997TT Tip:P

2010 Turbo will be a great Turbo no doubt but it won't respond, drive, feel or turn like one And for 30% of the price it's such a bargain... I couldn't help myself either
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

A quick update on the SW3.9. I now have 2554 miles on the new motor and am still very pleased with it! It just seems to get stronger every outing. We have been experiencing a lot of rain this winter here on the northern Ca. coast, so I haven’t been racking up the miles I normally do this time of the year. However yesterday was a very mild day with temperatures in the high 60’s low 70’s. So I took the opportunity to take a nice 270 mile drive on the “secret test loop” and came away with the following observation:

The 3.9 appears to get stronger as the miles are added and continues to put a smile on my face on every outing. I may have spoken to soon regarding the Pirellis as I started noticing towards the end of yesterdays drive that things were starting to get a little greasy. The last segment of the drive is over 60 miles of very twisty second and third gear back roads with an enormous amount of elevation change. On the home stretch, about 20 miles from the house, I came up out of the river and into a tight right-hander which I can honestly say I have taken hundreds of time previous at faster speeds when suddenly the rear end stepped out quit un-expectantly. It suddenly got very busy in the drivers seat but I did manage to get things reeled back in and on my way with no damage, although it was a close one. After getting home and replaying things in my head the only explanation I came up with was that I must have applied power too early on exit and with the added Trq & HP of the 3.9, especially at the 5200 RPM range in second gear were the cams start working, I just lost traction.
After arriving home and an inspection of the rear tires I noticed that they are worn through the wear bars on the first two inside treads!! Only 1707 miles on this set!! I may have to take back the statement I said earlier about the Pirellis being “my new favorite tires” For the first 1500 miles they were very good, especially on wet or damp pavement, far superior to the MPSC’s! However I am now questioning if they are truly worth the almost $400.00 more a set then the MPSC’s. Also, I managed to average just over 3000 miles for a set of rears with the Michelins, but there is no way I will get close to that on this set of Corsa’s!! I may get another 500-600 miles out of them if I curb my aggressive driving style but I don’t know if I am capable of that at my age. I guess if I was driving up and down 101 I could, the problem is getting the 60 miles from here to there!!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Snowboarder54, what condition is your LSD in? I noticed extreme tire wear on the inside shoulder as my LSD wore out.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Snowboarder54, what condition is your LSD in? I noticed extreme tire wear on the inside shoulder as my LSD wore out.
I had it checked by Porsche a few thousand miles ago and everything was fine. Both rears are down to the wear bars. Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Md11skipper
Rennlist Member

Don't discount the fact that you put 50-70 hp more onto rear wheels than you did before with the 3.6 liter engine. The extra power will wear the tires faster as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^ He's secretly doing wednesday nite drags at sp : ). Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Md11skipper
Don't discount the fact that you put 50-70 hp more onto rear wheels than you did before with the 3.6 liter engine. The extra power will wear the tires faster as well.
Yes, I am aware of that as well as the toll it's taking on my brakes carrying the extra speed between turns!!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Snowboarder....do you think you could
do all if us east coasters with boring roads a favor?: can you please make an in car video of that run? It sounds like real fun!

Why don't all of you west coasters join in and give us a peek at your favorite back road canyon run!! It would give us all a vicarious thrill!!

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Snowboarder- have u taken car to the track yet? If so ne impressions? Thanks. MIke
Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Snowboarder- have u taken car to the track yet? If so ne impressions? Thanks. MIke
Every day is track day were I live!!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Every day is track day were I live!!
Hey!! what happened to the video?? that was an awesome piece of road!! def re post it and more.....I am moving next door!! wouldn't it be great to have to drive that road everyday??

Quick Reply: SW 3.9 First impressions