SW 3.9 First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:59 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Nice..

When they did the tuning, though, was it designed to take advantage of the high octane gas? Because if you run 100 in the standard GT3, I'd guess that there won't be much difference.. (compression ratio not high enough, etc.)

Just curious..
IIRC, even with same compression, higher octane will allow more advanced timing and more complete combustion at higher revs without detonation.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

My point was just that if the engine was designed to max out at a certain octane already, then higher octane gas would not help it further.. usually it works the other way around.. i.e., when a lower than expected octane gas is used, the timing is retarded.. (to save the engine from knocking)
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

My point was just that if the engine was designed to max out at a certain octane already, then higher octane gas would not help it further.. usually it works the other way around.. i.e., when a lower than expected octane gas is used, the timing is retarded.. (to save the engine from knocking)
Agreed.
Just saying new mapping "might" allow for more aggressive timing with higher octane.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:22 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah.. Sharky / EVOMS' secret sauce mapping!!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished reading the Nov. Excellence article with Pat Long and was wondering if Snowboarder 54's 3.9 was the car that was referred to? Are you the mustache man???
Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Hmm, Snowboarder, Loop Man, Mustache Man, 3.9 Man (?)... Ralph. Who is this mysterious man with so many pseudonyms
Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
They have been my "new" favorite tire for quite a while.
I had them on my '07 and have them on the '10 ... love them ...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Hmm, Snowboarder, Loop Man, Mustache Man, 3.9 Man (?)... Ralph. Who is this mysterious man with so many pseudonyms
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Yeah.. Sharky / EVOMS' secret sauce mapping!!
anyone experience this on the .2 3.8L ???
Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

So glad that after while now you finally got to throwing in some 100 octane It really does add a nice kick. The ECU is able to use a higher ignition map
Old 10-08-2010, 02:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,785 Likes on 2,371 Posts

snowboarder has mustache.....?
you dont say!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Well another milestone has been reached in the adventure of my Sharkwerks 3.9 conversion. I have just recently returned from a 600 mile trip up through northern California and on to the Oregon coast. I have now broken through the 16,000 mile burier and on my way to 17,000 miles.

I have two new additions to the car since my last update; the first one being a new set of Brembo big yellows, something I now wish I had done miles ago. These things are absolutely fantastic! The stock rotors had come to the end of their usefulness and it was time to do something so a trip back to Sharkwerks and a few dollars later I am very happy. Just a few miles after the big brake kit I mounted a set of the new Michelin Super Sports, after talking with Damon at Tire Rack, and made the decision to try a set after being assured that if I didn’t like them before 30 days were up I could return them for a full refund. My initial thought was I would probably be sending them back if they were anything like the PS2’s I had tried awhile back and only had on the car for less then 2000 miles. I had read all the press releases from Michelin and some reviews from some folks who had attended the testing put on in Dubai but was very skeptical about them being comparable to the MPSC’s at almost $500 less and such a high wear rating. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. These are a great tire and an even better value. As many of you know I have been averaging only 2700 miles out of a set of the cups on the rears since having the 3.9 conversion and that is street or road miles only! (I don’t have streets where I live) Don’t misunderstand, they don’t have the same grip as the MPSC’s but are far ahead of the PS2’s and very close to the MPSC’s performance wise. They don’t hunt for grip as with the PS2’s and I have yet to find any disadvantage as far as my style of driving. They appear to be somewhat more forgiving then the cups and the turn-in is still crisp and very precise. I did jump up a size on the fronts to 245’s, run the same PSI as the cups and so far I am very excited about them. Also I now have almost 3200 miles on them and they have well over half their original tread depth, so I would classify them as a bargain and recommend them to anyone looking to replace their cups for road use. I don’t believe I will be going back to the cups.

The motor is running as strong as ever, burns no oil and I have only had to change the plugs and lots of rear tires, oh and brakes. The car is just incredible and still puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key and strap myself in! I love this car!! The next update will be at 20K! Keep in mind that I didn’t do the conversion until 37K so the car has over 53K on right now. Next up is a new Guards LSD, next week!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sweet.

I find the PSSs to be much more comfortable than the rougher, more raw MPSCs. Perfect for the streets! My only complaint is the fat sidewall compared to other tires of the same size.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Well another milestone has been reached in the adventure of my Sharkwerks 3.9 conversion. I have just recently returned from a 600 mile trip up through northern California and on to the Oregon coast. I have now broken through the 16,000 mile burier and on my way to 17,000 miles.

I have two new additions to the car since my last update; the first one being a new set of Brembo big yellows, something I now wish I had done miles ago. These things are absolutely fantastic! The stock rotors had come to the end of their usefulness and it was time to do something so a trip back to Sharkwerks and a few dollars later I am very happy. Just a few miles after the big brake kit I mounted a set of the new Michelin Super Sports, after talking with Damon at Tire Rack, and made the decision to try a set after being assured that if I didn’t like them before 30 days were up I could return them for a full refund. My initial thought was I would probably be sending them back if they were anything like the PS2’s I had tried awhile back and only had on the car for less then 2000 miles. I had read all the press releases from Michelin and some reviews from some folks who had attended the testing put on in Dubai but was very skeptical about them being comparable to the MPSC’s at almost $500 less and such a high wear rating. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. These are a great tire and an even better value. As many of you know I have been averaging only 2700 miles out of a set of the cups on the rears since having the 3.9 conversion and that is street or road miles only! (I don’t have streets where I live) Don’t misunderstand, they don’t have the same grip as the MPSC’s but are far ahead of the PS2’s and very close to the MPSC’s performance wise. They don’t hunt for grip as with the PS2’s and I have yet to find any disadvantage as far as my style of driving. They appear to be somewhat more forgiving then the cups and the turn-in is still crisp and very precise. I did jump up a size on the fronts to 245’s, run the same PSI as the cups and so far I am very excited about them. Also I now have almost 3200 miles on them and they have well over half their original tread depth, so I would classify them as a bargain and recommend them to anyone looking to replace their cups for road use. I don’t believe I will be going back to the cups.

The motor is running as strong as ever, burns no oil and I have only had to change the plugs and lots of rear tires, oh and brakes. The car is just incredible and still puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key and strap myself in! I love this car!! The next update will be at 20K! Keep in mind that I didn’t do the conversion until 37K so the car has over 53K on right now. Next up is a new Guards LSD, next week!
Thanks for the update and most of all I'm glad you're racking up those miles the only way you know how It's really good to hear on the tires as well. Those brakes are somethin' else eh?

The black 2010 that was here needed new tires as they were corded so based on what you're saying he should have just as much fun on them as the PSC's

Keep on smiling and see you soon for the LSD:P
Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the thread that I really needed to read. I'm 800 miles into my 3.9 now. I drove it to get the mail today...about a 150 yards. It's that kind of fun right now. I need new tires very soon, so it was great to get the low down on what works and lasts, and what works and doesn't last. I won't have the pain threshold to be replacing tires every 3000 miles like SB54....but maybe for the first 3000 miles a set of MPSC's would be fun! It will be interesting to see how long my stock steel brakes last. Brembo's were in the cart before Sharky talked me off the ledge. Whatever he did to the pads helped reduce the standard stock brake squealing for sure (chamfored the pads?).

Thanks again Alex and James....

Quick Reply: SW 3.9 First impressions