Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SW 3.9 First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
Hey!! what happened to the video?? that was an awesome piece of road!! def re post it and more.....I am moving next door!! wouldn't it be great to have to drive that road everyday??
Leif, Try this one. This is the a 16 mile drive I have to take when I'm at the Ashland Or. house in the summer months to get to town. When I'm there, I go to town alot!!;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGwUM0gWA4
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Leif, Try this one. This is the a 16 mile drive I have to take when I'm at the Ashland Or. house in the summer months to get to town. When I'm there, I go to town alot!!;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGwUM0gWA4
The van chase is my favorite part.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thats it!!! I'm moving out there....problem is; it'll take me 12 trips to get a dozen eggs
Old 03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leif997
thats it!!! I'm moving out there....problem is; it'll take me 12 trips to get a dozen eggs
You will never get a dozen eggs if you drive in sport mode; it takes more like 16 trips for a dozen!! If you do the math 1 dozen eggs in sport mode = 1 set of MPSC's or 1.37 sets of Pirelli Corsa's!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

See you later today and bring some eggs!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Oh goodie!! We going on a hunt??? On my way out the door!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that makes me want to do a montain run very soon
Old 04-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
I just got home from one today!! Ended up having lunch with Sharkwerks gang and checking out Fred's new RS!!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
You're going to have fun with the LWF in there
Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I just got home from one today!! Ended up having lunch with Sharkwerks gang and checking out Fred's new RS!!
Good to see you mate!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Just came back from a 950 mile road trip over some of my favorite northern California/ southern Oregon roads and just turned 6,000 miles on the 3.9, so thought I would give everyone a short update. The motor is still smooth as silk and I have experienced no problems of any sort, other then an increased tire bill and some serious brake wear! I just recently took the car to James for a “check-up” and he gave the brake system a nice flush and some fresh race fluid which made a huge difference and brought everything back to life. One amazing factoid is that this motor has yet to use any oil! I have changed the oil twice now and will do so again this week. I asked James about this and he told me that Kermit doesn’t use oil either. Must be the LW pistons!!

The motor just keeps getting stronger and stronger, I really noticed it at around 3000 miles and on this drive I had a chance to really wring it out in 3rd and 4th gear which I don’t often do around here locally as I run out of road. Until you get a chance to drive one of these you can’t really appreciate how these motors pull all the way to 8800!!

One more thing; I find myself leaving the car in third gear on many of the corners I used to down shift to second to make better use of the added trq. I did install a new set of MPSC’s about 400 miles before this trip so I had plenty of grip and it made for a very fair comparison as to how the car preformed on my last trip over these roads as a stock 3.6. This is a trip I make several times over the summer and have done in many different cars but always in the summer months and never in the winter. When the car was a 3.6 I averaged right around 15 MPG some times high 14’s or low 15’s but always consistent. I was rather surprised when I looked at the trip computer today when I got home and saw that I averaged 16.1 for the entire round trip. I think I can contribute this to the fact I can use a higher gear in a lot of the twister section with the added trq and HP. (hopefully it doesn’t have anything to do with the fact I’m getting older and I’m losing a 1/10 or 2!)

The car is a real pleasure to drive and I am looking forward to many more of these trips. I actually have another scheduled in about two weeks!!
Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update Snowboarder. I wonder if you had a chance to do some acceleration comparison with the Fred's .2 RS?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Another update on the SW 3.9. I was driving past Infineon on my home when I decided to stop and top off with some 100 octane race fuel. Hehe, what a difference that 9 octane makes with the 3.9!! Once the ecu recognized that it was processing 100 octane the fun started. Of course I had to take the long way home over my favorite stretch of coastal roads. This was wed. and the temperature was 102 degrees when I hit the highest elevation of the drive. The oil temp never surpassed 240 and coolant stayed steady at 175 and was doing a lot of high RPM, low speed 2nd and 3rd gear driving. However at this point things were getting a little slippery so I stopped to check the air pressure before continuing as my very favorite section was coming up, a lot of second gear tight stuff so I wanted as much grip as possible. The rears were up to 44 PSI and the fronts were up to 41 so I dropped them both by 9 PSI and continued on. This settled things down nicely and between the lowered PSI and the fact that the ambient air temperature was dropping as I ventured closer to the coast it was a safe and stable ride the remainder of the way. That is until I came to some road work, ditch cleaning, about 8 miles from the coast, and had a 10 minute wait. As soon as the tires started to cool the TPS started giving it’s warning about low tire pressure! All in all the trip was a real pleasure and the 100 octane will be sourly missed once I run out.
I now have just over 8,000 miles on the 3.9 conversion and the only downside I have observed is the increased tire wear and maybe a decrease in MPG when driving hard, which in my case is pretty much all the time and I seem to be using up a lot more brakes!. I still love the 3.9 and hope to enjoy many more trouble free miles with more stops for 100 octane; I just wish I had a little closer source as it takes about 4-5 gallons to get to the fun part!! I no longer buy the Corsa systems, strictly MPSC’s for me, I feel they are the best bang for the buck for me and my style of driving I just have to take a tenth or two off on damp mornings!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice..

When they did the tuning, though, was it designed to take advantage of the high octane gas? Because if you run 100 in the standard GT3, I'd guess that there won't be much difference.. (compression ratio not high enough, etc.)

Just curious..
Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
Nice..

When they did the tuning, though, was it designed to take advantage of the high octane gas? Because if you run 100 in the standard GT3, I'd guess that there won't be much difference.. (compression ratio not high enough, etc.)

Just curious..
Yes, most defiantly tuned for 100, James tells me it takes a few minutes to sense the higher octane then remaps the ecu. I believe he or maybe Alex once told me there are 6 different maps in this tune!!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

^ you should stop by SJ airport after sharkey and try some jet fuel ;-)

Quick Reply: SW 3.9 First impressions