Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Compound-W ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM
DK911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compound-W ????

My 997.2 GT3 has XM radio, and I've decided I'm not crazy about the wart on the roof. Not that it's terrible, it's probably not noticeable to anyone but me. I'm not sure why they chose to put it there to begin with (the Corvette, for instance, has it hidden in the side mirror).

Anyway, is there any acceptable way to get rid of it. If it were removed and the hole filled and painted would that create problems worse than the wart? What do you guys think?

DK
Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DK911
My 997.2 GT3 has XM radio, and I've decided I'm not crazy about the wart on the roof. Not that it's terrible, it's probably not noticeable to anyone but me. I'm not sure why they chose to put it there to begin with (the Corvette, for instance, has it hidden in the side mirror).

Anyway, is there any acceptable way to get rid of it. If it were removed and the hole filled and painted would that create problems worse than the wart? What do you guys think?

DK
Can you post a picture of this wart? Maybe Pharmacist Mike of TeamDrugMoney can offer some advice, LOL
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When you are driving the car and listening to XM how can the wart bother you if you don't see it.
Remember there is nothing better than factory paint...don't fool with it.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
When you are driving the car and listening to XM how can the wart bother you if you don't see it.

One night at a club a buddy of mine hit it off with this hot chick, found out a couple hours later that his she was a he. He couldn't see "IT", but it bothered him...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
One night at a club a buddy of mine hit it off with this hot chick, found out a couple hours later that his she was a he. He couldn't see "IT", but it bothered him...
In the words of Andrew Dice-Clay "I Don't get it with these trans-*********... You meet the girl of your dreams, you take her out, wine her, dine her, take her home, stick your hand up her skirt and you're holding a f*%kin tree trunk. What do you say? Hey, for a chick you've got some set of *****!"

I'd have to agree with Mjones though, messing with factory paint is not a good idea as its never the same after a repair, especially having to blend down the rear pillars or across the roof- more so, a wart on the roof is not in the same ball park for bothering someone as a set of ***** up your date's skirt!! lol

Concerns would include perforation guarantee after repair, blending & paint finish and if going back to standard antenna, aren't they usually embedded in the rear screen? Would the trace be there to wire too? As the cabling is currently in the roof, it would require for much of the rooflining and a pillar cover to be pulled off to run cabling down???

Last edited by 911rox; 11-24-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

More of a hassle than you'll ever want. Live with it and try to forget it's there.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Leave it.

I've had to come-to-terms with the wart on my dash; always there but less noticeable with time.

You have a great car; enjoy driving it!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:23 PM
DK911
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJones
Good advice I'm sure. And you're right, I never see it when I'm driving.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

That is exactly the reason why I did not get XM.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:46 PM
DK911
Advanced

Originally Posted by diethelm
That is exactly the reason why I did not get XM.
I bought mine off the lot, so I didn't have a choice. It didn't bother me at first, but now it does a little. It's not too bad though, I'm sure I'll get over it.

I never listen to anything but the motor anyway (music to my ears)!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

Better to get one with, than not get one at all.

I have an 06 Ford GT with the $5k macintosh option. You can not hear the thing except at a stop light and all it has is an AM/FM radio and a single CD player. A total waste but most of them came with all 4 options.

The other reason I did not get XM was because you have to get NAV to get XM. I have NAV in three other cars and I never use it. Maybe I am old but I can still read a map.......

Quick Reply: Compound-W ????