Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever
whats wrong with the new GT3?

why so many out there?
Dealers don't know how to order cars and in fairness were forced to take cars without key options. Every car I've looked at on showroom floors lacks engine mounts and GT2 seats - two key options IMO.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Dealers don't know how to order cars and in fairness were forced to take cars without key options. Every car I've looked at on showroom floors lacks engine mounts and GT2 seats - two key options IMO.

Agreed, dealers do not know how to spec these cars. Too many options, sport chrono, Nav are not really all that desireable for the typical GT3 buyer.

GT2 seats may appeal to 50% of the market but many still desire the standard seats for the adjustments and added comfort. PADM and a high price tag with excessive options are what is hurting sales; economy aside of course. I know some want to believe that all GT3's should be tracked and specced like a single purpose spartan race car, but that is not reality. Some, me for example, just love hard core, wake the fock up, sports cars. If someone doesn't like that I want a weekend, occasional dd GT3, fock them!

I would believe that the average customer specced GT3 is white, full leather, PADM and some other personal goodies. $120k +/- MSRP. I don't think there are a lot of these around. Maybe there are as I haven't scanned all the cars.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Sewicky in Pa.has a red one for $118k sport seats and San Diego has a black one for $115k
Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Dynamic Engine Mounts and Sport Bucket Seats (gt2)

I agree with Nizer on this point. I think it's unfair to blame dealers for having in stock gt3's without dynamic engine mounts. Porsche didn't allow dealers to order that option until the Fall, well after '10 production was well on its way (early summer). US dealers were given early allocation for non-engine mount cars and pretty much were told to order them...or else. That said, nobody forced US dealers to load up their gt3's with options that put them in the $135K/145K price bracket. They just wanted the extra profit of a higher MSRP vehicle and they thought they would sell regardless. This economy has proven a larger obstacle than they thought. So they will have to live with those decisions of their making. The gt2 seat option is an interesting story in itself. Many of you might recall that PCNA in '09 had a launch edition Meteor 4S coupe that came mostly with gt2 (Sport Bucket/P01) seats. Many dealers couldn't 'move' them and some are still in dealer stock unsold to this day. Although the seats look good, potential customers told dealers that these seats were deemed too uncomfortable for daily driving and named it as the #1 reason they would not consider buying that particular car. As a result, most dealers became reluctant to order these sport bucket seats on any 911 when they had a choice (e.g. '10 gt3), preferring to offer potential customers a more 'neutral' or 'fit-all-sizes' choice. Can you blame them given their experience with the the sport buckets in the '09's launch car? Remember also that we didn't know that the '10 RS would be produced (it was all speculation back then) and that this model would come with sport buckets as standard. The 997.1 RS had manual sport seats for US market. Now, in retrospect, we might think dealers should have been wiser in their options for these early '10 gt3's but that is with hindsight. The silver lining here is that we already know that 5% (and perhaps more) is currently available on most of these gt3's. And if inventories are not reduced soon, PCNA will have to come in with special financing or leasing deals. For those of us that like Navigation, full leather and niceties such as deviating stitching as options in our gt3's, it is not all bad. We might get some of these for 'free'. z356
Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
I agree with Nizer on this point. I think it's unfair to blame dealers for having in stock gt3's without dynamic engine mounts. Porsche didn't allow dealers to order that option until the Fall, well after '10 production was well on its way (early summer). US dealers were given early allocation for non-engine mount cars and pretty much were told to order them...or else. That said, nobody forced US dealers to load up their gt3's with options that put them in the $135K/145K price bracket. They just wanted the extra profit of a higher MSRP vehicle and they thought they would sell regardless. This economy has proven a larger obstacle than they thought. So they will have to live with those decisions of their making. The gt2 seat option is an interesting story in itself. Many of you might recall that PCNA in '09 had a launch edition Meteor 4S coupe that came mostly with gt2 (Sport Bucket/P01) seats. Many dealers couldn't 'move' them and some are still in dealer stock unsold to this day. Although the seats look good, potential customers told dealers that these seats were deemed too uncomfortable for daily driving and named it as the #1 reason they would not consider buying that particular car. As a result, most dealers became reluctant to order these sport bucket seats on any 911 when they had a choice (e.g. '10 gt3), preferring to offer potential customers a more 'neutral' or 'fit-all-sizes' choice. Can you blame them given their experience with the the sport buckets in the '09's launch car? Remember also that we didn't know that the '10 RS would be produced (it was all speculation back then) and that this model would come with sport buckets as standard. The 997.1 RS had manual sport seats for US market. Now, in retrospect, we might think dealers should have been wiser in their options for these early '10 gt3's but that is with hindsight. The silver lining here is that we already know that 5% (and perhaps more) is currently available on most of these gt3's. And if inventories are not reduced soon, PCNA will have to come in with special financing or leasing deals. For those of us that like Navigation, full leather and niceties such as deviating stitching as options in our gt3's, it is not all bad. We might get some of these for 'free'. z356
Did I miss something? How do we know that all these cars can be had for $5k less?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

5% off
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Did I miss something? How do we know that all these cars can be had for $5k less?
We don't. The question was asked earlier in this thread what was the highest discount anyone had heard being offered.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

911dev: I was offered by a US dealer over one month ago a 50/50 split on a special order gt3 for spring 2010 delivery done to my exact specifications. This is a gt3 with dynamic engine mounts and front lift system (should I chose to elect them). Depending on all the options I would chose, that would be a $6K to $8k reduction from MSRP. I was also offered $5K off on a stock '10 gt3 by a well-known LA dealer without any negotiations. So those are facts that I am dealing with as a prospective gt3 buyer. And those are the type of discounts consistent with what many Forum members have been posting here. Now, I know you negotiated your '10 gt3 deal at MSRP. I am fine with that too. It's your money. But I bet there are many others in this Forum that would rather pay less than MSRP given current market conditions and they should be aware of what some dealers are offering at the present time. z356
Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For some reason dealers love to load up their stock inventory cars, with stitching, sport chrono, carbon bits, colored dials putting the prices in the 140K+ range.
Full leather (more alcantera) & Stitch runs the price up 6075
They, as well are staying away from the Sport Buckets after the C4S launch car debacle.

Go figure.......down economy, lets load them up for that emotional WOW buying decision.

The GT3 is not everyones car and down the road there will be deals to be had.

I think dealers would have be better served by specing less fufu options, but what do I know...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

911dev: I was offered by a US dealer over one month ago a 50/50 split on a special order gt3 for spring 2010 delivery done to my exact specifications. This is a gt3 with dynamic engine mounts and front lift system (should I chose to elect them). Depending on all the options I would chose, that would be a $6K to $8k reduction from MSRP. I was also offered $5K off on a stock '10 gt3 by a well-known LA dealer without any negotiations. So those are facts that I am dealing with as a prospective gt3 buyer. And those are the type of discounts consistent with what many Forum members have been posting here. Now, I know you negotiated your '10 gt3 deal at MSRP. I am fine with that too. It's your money. But I bet there are many others in this Forum that would rather pay less than MSRP given current market conditions and they should be aware of what some dealers are offering at the present time. z356
Have you stepped up to the plate??? or just spinning a yarn??
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

If you must know. I am concentrating my search on a '07/'08 RS. The '10 gt3 is my back-up if I can't find the right used RS. But let me ask you, our beloved MJones, why is this spinning a yarn? Am I the first one to report an offer of a discount on a '10 gt3 by US dealers? Would you prefer that the subject of dealer discounts not be broached on this forum? What is your personal agenda? z356
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

although DME is an issue, the real prob is most of those cars are too loaded. any GT3 over 130 is way loaded.

get the car and the only things you really need to consider is
pccb
full leather
bucket seat
just about all else is useless crap

this keeps msrp on the low side and serious buyer will bite.
those who dont like those spec, probably would be better off getting another version of 997 anyways.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The RS is too cheap!!
really, why dont you take my spot at $50k over

i will take your too cheap RS LMAO
Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A discount on a GT3 with DEM and a lift system is not on the radar yet... as far as I can tell!

Given that these "optioned" cars are just about to hit the market, highly sought after and a contributing reason as to why the cars without said options are sitting on the showroom floor. Dealers know this, and are not going to undermine themselves early in the process.

Let's see what the future brings!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

I negotiated my car near the end of June at a few hundred below MSRP. PADM optioned GT3's were not available at that time. I knew my Nov. build would have them. GT3 prices were not as soft as they are now.

Anyway, admittantly it's not really exciting reading threads where people post that ALL these lot GT3's can be had for at least 5% less than sticker. This statement has been posted twice within this thread and is simply not known with any reasonable certainty and not likely that all of these cars will be discounted as much; hence the illusion of a softer market. Sure, many on the lot, overly optioned, GT3's are being discounted as much, many are not. Some ordered cars have been discounted, some have not. There may be some potential great deals to be had, but to say that 5% is basically guaranteed like some kind of trunk money is simply untrue. Your average GT3 is probably $125-$130k, however, discounts of $6250-$6500 are not every day occurrences. Yes, there may be some better deals, but they are certainly not on all 32 cars listed or even close to all of them.

More informed buyers will make better decisions and I am all for that. I'm not fond of speculation posted as gospel.

Last edited by 911dev; 11-19-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 32 new GT3 on cars.com