Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

32 new GT3 on cars.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
diethelm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are specific about what you want, you need to order the car. There are very few order slots available. If I can get exactly what I want, and not pay for stuff I do not want, is the savings of a few grand discount worth paying for options I do not want or not getting options I do want?

On the other hand, you might be able to negotiate a discount on a unit in inventory but at what price? You get 5k off, but it has 7k of stuff you do not really want. Have you really saved any money? What if the local dealer does not have what you want? Our market went from 2 dealers and 1 million people in the 70's to 1 dealer and 4 million poeple now so why should they discount at all? So, you go out of state, deal with the tax and registration issues and spend some money on travel, shipping and so on. What is the real savings if you take time off work, or spend a weekend you would rather be doing fun things? Haggling with dealers is not top of my list of fun stuff to do this weekend.

A GT3 is either an enthusiasts car or a coool guy car who "has to have it". Most enthusiasts I know truly care about what options a car has and at the end of the day, are not going to walk over a couple thousand dollars if the car is exactly what they want. The cool guys, they don't really always care about price or if they do, they will end up getting a discount on a car ordered not the way an enthusiast would want which is why it is sitting at a discount.

If how much off MSRP is the most important part of the decision making process, you might as well go buy a really non-desirable car as it would generate the most significant discount.

Last edited by diethelm; 11-19-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
red89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
What is your personal agenda?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by diethelm
If you are specific about what you want, you need to order the car. There are very few order slots available. If I can get exactly what I want, and not pay for stuff I do not want, is the savings of a few grand discount worth paying for options I do not want or not getting options I do want?

On the other hand, you might be able to negotiate a discount on a unit in inventory but at what price? You get 5k off, but it has 7k of stuff you do not really want. Have you really saved any money? What if the local dealer does not have what you want? Our market went from 2 dealers and 1 million people in the 70's to 1 dealer and 4 million poeple now so why should they discount at all? So, you go out of state, deal with the tax and registration issues and spend some money on travel, shipping and so on. What is the real savings if you take time off work, or spend a weekend you would rather be doing fun things? Haggling with dealers is not top of my list of fun stuff to do this weekend.

A GT3 is either an enthusiasts car or a coool guy who "has to have it". Most enthusiasts I know truly care about what options a car has and at the end of the day, are not going to walk over a couple thousand dollars if the car is exactly what they want. The cool guys, they don't really always care about price or if they do, they will end up getting a discount on a car ordered not the way an enthusiast would want which is why it is sitting at a discount.

If how much off MSRP is the most important part of the decision making process, you might as well go buy a really non-desirable car as it would generate the most significant discount.
Agreed and very well put.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
5% off
So, you called all 32 dealers and each and everyone was at 5%? Nice, what a contribution to the forum! I'm shopping for a washer can you check about 100 stores for me?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
So, you called all 32 dealers and each and everyone was at 5%? Nice, what a contribution to the forum! I'm shopping for a washer can you check about 100 stores for me?
Do the letters F/O mean anything to you??
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Old Guy said, the dealers that missed on Gouge Fest V2 are trying to make up on Version 3. What is it about these idiots ? Almost no one wants GT3's with "all options".
Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if Lease/Finance deals can get more off then Cash, due to the "back end $$" the dealer receives
that will balance out their gross ??
Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
I wonder if Lease/Finance deals can get more off then Cash, due to the "back end $$" the dealer receives
that will balance out their gross ??
speaking as ex-banker.
in the last 10 years, most deals are better if you lease or financed. you have to negotiate with the finance manager.

they make money by 1) mark up the rate, 2) back end from the bank (dealer is acting as loan brokers: think mortgage brokers)

even at buy rate, they still get a fairly substantial kickback from the bank.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several comments here:

1. Has anyone else actually looked on CARS.COM? I did and saw 37 ads with most the cars over $130k and about 1/3 over $140K. There were only 3 new ones priced under $120K with the cheapest at $118K. There are also 3 used ones with only 1 under $120K ($116K w/2K miles). I am not seeing any of the bargains being referred to on this thread.

2. Check to see how many of the cars listed on CARS.COM are really still for sale. In the first 5 I checked, 2 were not listed at the dealers. Another red one I know for sure was sold weeks ago as I know the owner. Don't believe that just because there is an ad out there that the car is still available. With CARS.COM and Autotrader you can do a run until sold ad. The won't take the ad off until you tell them too.

3. Don't blame the dealers for all the high option cars. Remember that half the GT3 allocations were pre-specced by Porsche, including all the launch cars. All the launch cars I saw locally had adaptive sport seats, full leather, PCM and quite a few frilly options. The cheapest sticker was $126K. The dealers didn't choose the options, they just had the option of taking the allocation and the car or not.

4. The only way to get exactly what you want is to order it. Who cares if you get a $5K discount on a car that has $15K of crap you don't want and is lacking $5K of options you do want. That is simply spending a lot more and getting a lot less of what you really want. You are simply better off trying to find an order allocation and just ordering it even at list.

5. Truth be told, there are also a lot of stupid people in the world. There are people that got an allocation and specced a lot of crap on a car. Then before delivery due to poor financial decisions, mishaps in life, etc.; they don't take delivery. Hence another poorly specced car is available for anyone who wants to buy it.

6. Where are all these open allocations that are being referred to? Every dealer I know of had all their allocations allocated to customers within a month after they were announced. None got more than 5 GT3 allocations. There is now a waiting list. Considering that the last of the allocations of my dealers here are being built this month, I would really like to know where all these open order allocations are?

Quick Reply: 32 new GT3 on cars.com