Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MY (new to me) RS JOURNEY : USA-CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent!! I love pumpkins. Have a safe drive home and get a radar detector for the drive.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Be safe and those axles actually left to the shop yesterday... with the delay maybe you'll still have time to run them?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
1) You might want to remove the chin spoiler for Targa. Some of the roads are VERY rough.

2) Can you actually bring the car to Canada without an airbag? Doesn't the car have to now be inspected by a Porsche delaer for the sign-off?
the chin spoiler is for sure comming off for targa.
i have the stock spolier currently on for the drive across country and a cup spoiler curled up and placed in the rear of the car for a replacment.

i can enter without an airbag, it is when the canadian inspection is performed i have to let the inspector know i still have the air bag wheel for street use.
the canadian inspections are quite simple and only done at Canadian Tire stores. thankfully.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i have the stock spolier currently on for the drive across country and a cup spoiler curled up and placed in the rear of the car for a replacment.

i can enter without an airbag, it is when the canadian inspection is performed i have to let the inspector know i still have the air bag wheel for street use.
the canadian inspections are quite simple and only done at Canadian Tire stores. thankfully.
Is this your first Targa? It sounds like you've got your act together.

This is my third "coulda shoulda woulda" year missing Newfoundland. And similar procrastination for events in Australia, including Tasmania. I have to get going!

For the chin spoiler, I'd suggest the GT3 stock spoiler and maybe make sure it's "loosely" fitted so that if it really snags, it rips off without taking any of the front bumper cover with it. I made the mistake of reinforcing the chin spoiler once only to find it did more harm than good (as ever, chances are, Porsche has it right and you don't need to monkey with it.)

That said, I trust you have radiator screens and spares of things as well as "ruggedizing" the engine (the Cup car tech should know everything that tends to fail on the 997.) I presume you have some sort of "crew" or shared trailer and the navigator knows the event? (just curious ... might even start fooling myself right now that I'll make it next year ...)
Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default RS UPDATE

I arrived on monday to take the RS but had to wait until tuesday for the outcome of the computer corrections of the new CUP steering wheel and CUP gas tank. It was anyones guess if it could be fixed....

Well, success is all i can say. The CUP wheel and the computer get along finally and the CUP tank and fuel guage understand each other.
(Big thx to WERKS II for taking on the task and following threw)

Today being Wednesday i hit the road for the first ever time in the RS. I left from Glendale after a great visit with Radomin (the previous owner of the RS) and decided to make a brief stop in Long Beach to visit my buddy at West Coast Choppers. (jesse james drives a 996 GT2 as a DD, so he is no stranger to P-cars)
I ate lunch at his diner/restaurant (Cisco Burger, located next door to the shop and worth the visit for sure if you are ever in the area or looking for a different drive for a day)...mmm tasty....

Thus far everything works, car is road friendly and i really, really like the car.
GT2 seats are comfy, as is the seating position. These cars are so small, i love how they drive like a tight fitted glove. precise.
The steering wheel feels great, the SharkWerks exhaust is perfect and the big fuel tank is great driving through the desert.
The roll cage is ultra quiet and onlookers are totally baffled when they drive by me and see it!
I called it a day in Utah and will report back tommorow night....
Thus far i squat my pinky finger between the gt2 seats and roll bar twice while getting luggage from the back seats...
here are some more pics of the journey:
Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2009, 02:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default rs

RS journey...

valentine 1 + GPS = 100MPH and smooth sailing....
Attached Images    
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess you could relocate the V1 to beside the rearview mirror to get better detection, especially to the rear.

Great "road trip" pics. No "vanity" shot of hugs with Jesse and Sandra? : )
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested to follow your story! Keep the details coming!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. Keep the photos coming.

Not sure I'd put a lot of faith in the radar detector. IMHO, they're next to useless (my V1 included) on most interstates these days. You might get lucky picking up a trace but between instant-on and laser there's usually little warning. Awareness, experience, and intuition are far better protection. They still have their place when dealing with the locals who tend to run older radar.

Then again, maybe it's different in Canada.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default rs

Originally Posted by Nizer

Not sure I'd put a lot of faith in the radar detector. IMHO, they're next to useless (my V1 included) on most interstates these days. You might get lucky picking up a trace but between instant-on and laser there's usually little warning. Awareness, experience, and intuition are far better protection. They still have their place when dealing with the locals who tend to run older radar.

actually, you are 100% right.
the V-1 helps a little, but im always on my toes.

These radars are illegal in canada except for B.C, so i pull it once in canada
Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the start of a great trip! No better way to get ready for Targa than driving from CA to Nfld.

I enjoyed the Shelby museum when I dropped by a couple years ago. I love P-cars but there is always a place in my heart for a bunch of guys building crazy cars to take on Ferrari.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Tom,

It would be nice to post some feedback about noises and suspension feeling. Your car has full monoballs and metal bushings everywhere, all the rubber from the suspension removed, 265/345 Michelin Sport cups, and the PASM compatible Bilstein B16 Damptronics coilover kit.

The cage looks stunning, factory RS full cage painted Orange to match the car, neat.

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Have fun, I wish I could take a trip like this, run the Targa Newfounland and then fly back home.

To do list: Targa Newfoundland, One Lap of America, Tail of the Dragon, L.A. to Seattle using US1, L.A. to Cabo San Lucas, Stelvio Pass, Spa and Nurburgring
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer

Great thread, Love the pumpkin!! I don't drive any of my vehicels without a radar detector! Yes, awarness is key like anything else in life. I can't tell you how many tickets my Passport has prevented. I slow up at the slightest of ticks and have been ticketless for over 60K miles of Porsche driving, (knocking on wood). The last ticket I received was in my Duramax on I-5 and that was due to the CHP airplane!! I wasn't paying attention!! Enjoy the drive and leave the detector on at all times.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Hey Tom,

To do list: Targa Newfoundland, One Lap of America, Tail of the Dragon, L.A. to Seattle using US1, L.A. to Cabo San Lucas, Stelvio Pass, Spa and Nurburgring
I really don't think a GT3 would survive a round trip to Cabo, if the roads didn't get it the Mexicans would! I don't like driving my Duramax down there.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

Sounds like you have it covered. I did read recently that there's some new catch with US Pcars entering Canada though and somehow the a delaer must be involved...can't remember the details.

Quick Reply: MY (new to me) RS JOURNEY : USA-CANADA