Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MY (new to me) RS JOURNEY : USA-CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

congrats, it's about time you drive the car.
good luck at targa.
my ex car will enjoy the "exercise"....
Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Right on for driving (and not towing) your car across the US!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck, Tom.

Glad to see you got the car sorted and were able to start.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Hey Tom,

It would be nice to post some feedback about noises and suspension feeling. Your car has full monoballs and metal bushings everywhere, all the rubber from the suspension removed, 265/345 Michelin Sport cups, and the PASM compatible Bilstein B16 Damptronics coilover kit.

The cage looks stunning, factory RS full cage painted Orange to match the car, neat.

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Have fun, I wish I could take a trip like this, run the Targa Newfounland and then fly back home.

To do list: Targa Newfoundland, One Lap of America, Tail of the Dragon, L.A. to Seattle using US1, L.A. to Cabo San Lucas, Stelvio Pass, Spa and Nurburgring
The bilsteins feel great and in sport mode they firm up nicely.

for a car with full monoballs and no rubber it is very liveable! Only over rough road surface can you notice the monoballs and lack of rubber....(Traveling over bumps you get a slight click-clack sound in the rear, but not bad at all.)

On the freeway it is quiet and smooth as stock.
(keep in mind, my coil overs are raised to max height for rally duty.)

The roll cage is quiet too. Only over bumps does it make a sound. The full cage is the way to go! it just looks all business! (I get alot of puzzled faces followed by thumbs up and or camera phones...)

Based on full metal and monoballs im not disappointed in daily liveability. i drive almost 10 hour days and it is very quiet at 80-100mph. Even with the SharkWerks!!

As far as fuel, here is the latest with 90L tank:

i get approx 200 miles to first half of tank.

the red low fuel light came on at 315 miles. the computer said i had 65 miles until empty. (380 total?)

after 324 miles i fueled up and it required 14 gallons to fill. (how many gallons is 90L)

(does this make any sence to you guys?)

On a side note, the two speaker stereo system is actually quite good. Im super impressed and enjoying it. I can only imagine those who added two extra rear speakers to their GT3s!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Is this your first Targa? It sounds like you've got your act together.

This is my third "coulda shoulda woulda" year missing Newfoundland. And similar procrastination for events in Australia, including Tasmania. I have to get going!

For the chin spoiler, I'd suggest the GT3 stock spoiler and maybe make sure it's "loosely" fitted so that if it really snags, it rips off without taking any of the front bumper cover with it. I made the mistake of reinforcing the chin spoiler once only to find it did more harm than good (as ever, chances are, Porsche has it right and you don't need to monkey with it.)

That said, I trust you have radiator screens and spares of things as well as "ruggedizing" the engine (the Cup car tech should know everything that tends to fail on the 997.) I presume you have some sort of "crew" or shared trailer and the navigator knows the event? (just curious ... might even start fooling myself right now that I'll make it next year ...)

i have been runnin in targa since 2002.

im running the event with the coil overs at max height and no chin spoiler.

all my chin spoilers are quick release however. i can interchange them on the fly with no hand tools. (like a cup car, thx NJ-GT!)

As far as car prep, i have beefed up the suspension, 18" wheels, light weight exhaust, roll cage, rally computer, seats and harnesses.

other then that the car is pretty much stock.

my goal is to drive to the event, run the event competitively, and drive away. No crew, no trailer. (i do it this way every year)
i like to prove that with a well sorted car and responsible driving one can compete without luxury of crews. ( besides, im broke )

besides quickly inspecting the car at the end of each day tightening bolts etc.., one really dosnt need a crew except for unknown mistakes/accidents, which at that point you are out of contention anyhow.....

keeps things interesting
Old 08-28-2009, 04:32 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Will you be wearing helmet while driving across the country? (since you got the full cage..)

Car looks great! Please keep the pics coming!! Good luck!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
after 324 miles i fueled up and it required 14 gallons to fill. (how many gallons is 90L)
A litre (liter) is about a quart, so about four liters to the gallon or .26 US gallons.

The normal car is 16 gallons and the 90 litre tank should be about 24 gallons. Budget on driving 22 gallons to be on the safe side. If you covered 324 miles for 14 gallons, call that 20 mpg to be very safe and you have a range of 440 miles for "nearest" refill and 480 miles for "furtherest" refill.

Of course, at competition, you will probably be closer to 10-12 mpg, plus idle time.

ps. I wish I were there!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if the retrofitting the 90L tank is giving some inaccurate reading?

14 gallon in 324 miles sound right.. (23mpg or so.. if it is driven on freeway mostly) But that also means the warning light came on w/ almost 11 gallon to go.. (10.5 or so, since it came on at 315 miles)

?!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for posting the pictures, It's always nice to see photographic record of someone trip home with a new ride! Sweet!! The shot in the shop with all of the other p-cars around are interesting, and hey enjoy the new ride!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
actually, you are 100% right.
the V-1 helps a little, but im always on my toes.

These radars are illegal in canada except for B.C, so i pull it once in canada
I think they are also legal in Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, unless the laws have changed recently.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

- Although it sounds awful, put four layers of 3M duct tape on the bottton of the front bumper, it will help mitigate the road rash and scraps.

- Run the Cup spoiler lip despite the rough roads. It's proven to provide downforce in the light and pushy front end.

- Check tire pressures, and oil level (hot engine) every fuel stop (400 miles?).

- For the Targa (speeds in the range of our high speed autocrosses), get the maximum downforce of the rear spoiler, drag is not an issue on a mostly Tarmac Rally.

- Keep in mind, slow in, fast out. It really works, you feel like slowing down too much, but the ability to put the power down with the RS, makes "fast out" a no brainer, and a revelation to new 911 drivers.

- Run with TC-off on dry tarmac, and TC-on everywhere else (highways, rain, dirt, local roads, etc). The TC is not intrusive.

*** We need pictures ***
Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
- Although it sounds awful, put four layers of 3M duct tape on the bottton of the front bumper, it will help mitigate the road rash and scraps.

- Run the Cup spoiler lip despite the rough roads. It's proven to provide downforce in the light and pushy front end.

- Check tire pressures, and oil level (hot engine) every fuel stop (400 miles?).

- For the Targa (speeds in the range of our high speed autocrosses), get the maximum downforce of the rear spoiler, drag is not an issue on a mostly Tarmac Rally.

- Keep in mind, slow in, fast out. It really works, you feel like slowing down too much, but the ability to put the power down with the RS, makes "fast out" a no brainer, and a revelation to new 911 drivers.

- Run with TC-off on dry tarmac, and TC-on everywhere else (highways, rain, dirt, local roads, etc). The TC is not intrusive.

*** We need pictures ***
This all sounds like ... um ... "sound" advice, except I'd argue there's no need to turn off TC period.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
I wonder if the retrofitting the 90L tank is giving some inaccurate reading?

14 gallon in 324 miles sound right.. (23mpg or so.. if it is driven on freeway mostly) But that also means the warning light came on w/ almost 11 gallon to go.. (10.5 or so, since it came on at 315 miles)

?!
im thinking that the range from 315 to empty may be a little inaccurate.
We applied a formula on the computer in order to get the computer to know the new amount.

it may be off a little bit.....
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This all sounds like ... um ... "sound" advice, except I'd argue there's no need to turn off TC period.
I agree. Do NOT turn TC off at Targa. It's a forgiving system..if you are exceeding its threshold you're going too fast and, consequently, you'll be going slow. I know a number of pro Porsche drivers (and I mean REAL pros) that can't turn meaningfully faster times with it off. Consider that and the fact you cannot drive 10/10ths at Targa without an exceptional co-driver who has many years experience. Better approach will be 8/10ths but consistently fast without navigational mistakes or over-driving the car. Just my 0.02 cents.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default RS

latest:

began trip on Wednesday:

day 1: California to Utah
day 2: Utah to Colorado
day 3: Colorado to Iowa

I have been working out the bugs in the car and since i never had a chance to give it a proper shakedown since it left the shop im doing pretty good on the road.

When i mentioned the "road noise" of the new suspension a while back (monoballs and removal of all rubber) i realized today that in fact it is super quiet. it is not the new suspension characteristics making the noise over bumps.

the noise im hearing over rough road surfaces is the rear passenger side coil over (bilstein B16 damptronic). I have isolated the noise, and have come to the conclusion that the "rattleing" sound over bumps is the coil on the shaft with not enough tension on the spring.
( my coil overs are at max height and i think that the problem on the rear passenger side is that the coil over is rasied a little too high past max height so the coil is bouncing around rattleing.)

i will have to detect and correct once in canada on monday.

i have also been monitoring my new fuel tank.
since i dont have the luxury of running to empty i have been watching my fuel milage based on miles accumulated and distance remaining on computer.

bascially im driving 315 miles at which point the red fuel light comes on so i then look for gas station.
last going i traveled 365 miles and the computer stated i had 47 miles left until empty. I filled up and required 15 gallons. Based on 90L tank, i should have almost 10 gallons left..... so 47 miles remaining seens off to me.... will have to fine tune again once in canada. (but knowing i got the extra reserve takes alot of pressure off on the unfamilure freeways)

Im not sure if i mentioned my Modifications, so here is the list:

997 CUP Steering Wheel
997 CUP Gas tank
997 CUP S exhaust (also have Sharkwerks for street use)
997 CUP front spoiler

997 Clubsport Full Cage
997 Clubsport Fire Bottle ( also have Sharkwerks for rally use)

997 GT2 Seats

TRG Toe Links
GMG Sway Bars
(4) Tarett inner lower control arm bearings with monoballs
(2) Tarett front steering rods/toe links with bump steer adjustment
(4) Tarrett solid bushings for the lower control arms outer piece thrush arm
(2) Tarett rear monoball upper strut mounts
(4) ERP Racing/GMG rear upper monoball control arms
(2) Tarrett front monoball drop links
(2) Tarett rear monoball drop links

Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coil Overs

I ROLLED 24000 TODAY!!