Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MY (new to me) RS JOURNEY : USA-CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey TSC, did you try to hit any high speeds on those long straight desolate roads? I bet that would be a tough thing to pass up!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hey TSC, did you try to hit any high speeds on those long straight desolate roads? I bet that would be a tough thing to pass up!

As a non american citizen i try not to push the envolope here in usa..... 120's are about as fast as i push the car in fear of hiding patrol cars...

most of the time im putting around in too high a gear in low rpm taking in the sights
Old 08-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I arrived on monday to take the RS but had to wait until tuesday for the outcome of the computer corrections of the new CUP steering wheel and CUP gas tank. It was anyones guess if it could be fixed....

Well, success is all i can say. The CUP wheel and the computer get along finally and the CUP tank and fuel guage understand each other.
(Big thx to WERKS II for taking on the task and following threw)

Today being Wednesday i hit the road for the first ever time in the RS. I left from Glendale after a great visit with Radomin (the previous owner of the RS) and decided to make a brief stop in Long Beach to visit my buddy at West Coast Choppers. (jesse james drives a 996 GT2 as a DD, so he is no stranger to P-cars)
I ate lunch at his diner/restaurant (Cisco Burger, located next door to the shop and worth the visit for sure if you are ever in the area or looking for a different drive for a day)...mmm tasty....

Thus far everything works, car is road friendly and i really, really like the car.
GT2 seats are comfy, as is the seating position. These cars are so small, i love how they drive like a tight fitted glove. precise.
The steering wheel feels great, the SharkWerks exhaust is perfect and the big fuel tank is great driving through the desert.
The roll cage is ultra quiet and onlookers are totally baffled when they drive by me and see it!
I called it a day in Utah and will report back tommorow night....
Thus far i squat my pinky finger between the gt2 seats and roll bar twice while getting luggage from the back seats...
here are some more pics of the journey:
Darnit, just when I'm trying to forget it I hear Long Beach calling my name again. Its where I was born and raised. Can't wait to get back there, because Bakersfield is just too boring.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:46 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default RS

DAY FOUR: IOWA - CHICAGO

smooth sailing and i just have to say how much i love the deep door pockets on the GT3

Sport exhaust button is nice too when one wants peace and quiet from time to time.
Attached Images   

Last edited by tcsracing1; 08-30-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: photos
Old 08-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, this is already a thread that will stay at the top of Rennlist forever and "we" are not even to the first day of the Targa! "Reality TV" eat your heart out!

ps.

You will not win the Concours.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:17 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
- For the Targa (speeds in the range of our high speed autocrosses), get the maximum downforce of the rear spoiler, drag is not an issue on a mostly Tarmac Rally.
Hey Rad,

In your experience, at what speed does a large wing like the RS, tilted at 8 degrees, start to have a noticeable effect on the car's handling?

Cheers,
Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It's so awesome to see when people actually use these cars instead of keeping them in bubbles and polishing them with diapers.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

following your story with interest!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

DAY 5: CHICAGO-MICHIGAN

I decided to keep running for the canadian border sunday night and made it with time to spare.
I even had time in Chicago to stop at Paradise Pup for a killer cheese burger and the following day Smoque BBQ. Both are great places you must quickly stop by if ever traveling through.

I ended up importing the car Sunday night in Canada and then returned to U.S border the following morning to get my Title stamped and cleared for export into canada. ( this is reverse order of normal, but it is allowed)
The Customs officers in canada hustled me as my car purchase price was "less" then what they assumed market value was based on their findings on ebay listings.... after i gave them a 'free' tutorial, i was on my way. The U.S border officals were equalling exciting as they couldnt find my cleared faxed copy of title. After the officer put down his bag of potato chips and looked again after my request , he found it.... these people have no personality or IQ and i can only assume they sit in a hot bath every night with a plugged in toaster thinking "tonight is the night"......

Im finally in Canada and i now have two days to have my Peltor communication intercom and Terratrip rally computer installed before the car is loaded for transport into newfoundland with the rest of the Targa Rally cars.

Four Star Motorsports is installing the equipment as they are consistant rally racers in canada and do excelent work.
Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

DAY 5: CHICAGO-MICHIGAN

I decided to keep running for the canadian border sunday night and made it with time to spare.
I even had time in Chicago to stop at Paradise Pup for a killer cheese burger and the following day Smoque BBQ. Both are great places you must quickly stop by if ever traveling through.

I ended up importing the car Sunday night in Canada and then returned to U.S border the following morning to get my Title stamped and cleared for export into canada. ( this is reverse order of normal, but it is allowed)
The Customs officers in canada hustled me as my car purchase price was "less" then what they assumed market value was based on their findings on ebay listings.... after i gave them a 'free' tutorial, i was on my way. The U.S border officals were equalling exciting as they couldnt find my cleared faxed copy of title. After the officer put down his bag of potato chips and looked again after my request , he found it.... these people have no personality or IQ and i can only assume they sit in a hot bath every night with a plugged in toaster thinking "tonight is the night"......
Laugh!

Im finally in Canada and i now have two days to have my Peltor communication intercom and Terratrip rally computer installed before the car is loaded for transport into newfoundland with the rest of the Targa Rally cars.

Four Star Motorsports is installing the equipment as they are consistant rally racers in canada and do excelent work.
You should write a "... for Dummies" book on Targa NewF ... I'd like an autographed first edition.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

..... after 324 miles i fueled up and it required 14 gallons to fill. (how many gallons is 90L)

90 liters = 23.78 US gallons, or 19.8 Imperial (UK - don't know if you still use them in Canada) Gallons.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

these people have no personality or IQ and i can only assume they sit in a hot bath every night with a plugged in toaster thinking "tonight is the night"......
Having recently spent 2hrs siting at the border coming back from Vancouver, all I can say is that this image is brilliant.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I guess you could relocate the V1 to beside the rearview mirror to get better detection, especially to the rear.

Great "road trip" pics. No "vanity" shot of hugs with Jesse and Sandra? : )
hehe, nope. no photos of the "odd couple"....

however Jesse loved the RS. He wants it bad. Offered me a trade of my choice straight up!

I have so much R&D invested in this porsche plus parts and labour that i really cannot let it go. This car is set up to drive street comfortably all day, yet run strong at track events and race in tarmac rallys competitively and reliable.

This car does all this extremely well, all while looking completely stock!

Not many cars can perform this feat on this level of excitment.

this car is like a swiss army knife. Do everything tool.

I plan to have this car 20 years from now for sunday drives and "vintage" racing with a long list of history under its belt.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

hehe, nope. no photos of the "odd couple"....

however Jesse loved the RS. He wants it bad. Offered me a trade of my choice straight up!

I have so much R&D invested in this porsche plus parts and labour that i really cannot let it go. This car is set up to drive street comfortably all day, yet run strong at track events and race in tarmac rallys competitively and reliable.

This car does all this extremely well, all while looking completely stock!

Not many cars can perform this feat on this level of excitment.

this car is like a swiss army knife. Do everything tool.

I plan to have this car 20 years from now for sunday drives and "vintage" racing with a long list of history under its belt.
I've said that, too ... never seems to happen ... though to my credit I still have this 993 Turbo in 2WD ...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default RS

My cross country journey has finally come to an end and i now have the car being fully prepped one last time before it is raced in the Targa Newfoundland.

that being said i have found some interesting things......

1. 265 tires on the front works great, however it causes problems with rubbing into the plastic protection cover and thus into the Rad hose!
If anybody here plans on running 265's, you may want to reconsider.
Only on hard crank does this hose get rubbed, and perhaps more so now that my car is raised in height, but if i had not found this problem i could have had a hose wear though and burst!

2. I have installed Pagid yellow pads on the rear and they do not require the factory shims (at this point anyhow).

3. When buying a car that has seen alot of track in which you also plan to do the same, the positive is that all the fluids and brakes are constantly being replaced and the car is always serviced accordingly. The calipers and pads were trouble free to remove. The other bonus is the mass amounts of spares offered by previous owners that track their cars. Wheel studs, nuts etc...
( I have two sets of pads and discs as spares!)

The negitive would be things like the dust caps on the calipers that will soon need replacing as the extreme heat has got them wore out.

Anyhow, once i get my new rad hose on tommorow i will shake down the car one last time to see what the "rattle" sound is comming from on the rear passenger side. Hopefully i can pin point the problem as visual inspection has revealed nothing. Bare in mind this is all new monoball stuff and harder bushings along with new coil overs, but this rattle is on one side only and extremely annoying.

Here are a couple of photos of the days work and problems:

NOTE:
-265 and 345 tires
-the fried pads from california to canada
-the new rally computer installed
-the hole wearing through front inner fender and rad hose
-fresh brakes thx to Mooty and NJ-GT
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: MY (new to me) RS JOURNEY : USA-CANADA