Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 mkII started to leak oil day after delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default reverse

If this thread is for "real" than I may be able to offer you some advice.

The "reverse" detent pin sometimes becomes dislodged which then interfers with gear changes. The only other possiblity is a shift cable that's "hanging up" somewhere.

But if this thread is true, and not just some cruel joke, then you just made me a happy guy because now I'm going to keep my very well "sorted" '07 GT3 for a couple of more years until the 991.

Last edited by sasportas; 08-18-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt there's anything unsorted about the new car. The OP has suffered an unfortunate oil leak that appears to be nothing serious and has nothing to do with RMS. Then the workshop repairing the oil leak probably screwed up somewhere, causing the reverse problem.

The 2010 GT3's drivetrain is fundamentally the same as it's been for a decade. By all means enjoy your 07 car for as long as you wish to keep it, but this single thread in no way means the new car is unsorted.

I'll bet the reverse issue is something totally minor and the OP will go on to enjoy the fastest GT3 yet built and soon forget about this uncomfortable beginning.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
U4IA187
Advanced

Thumbs up

Well shes back again and safe in the garage.

The trouble with shifting into reverse had to do with a loose shifter cable. Very Easy fix once the car was lifted. Infact, the mechanic told me he usually places zip ties around the bases where the shifter cables insert to keep them from coming loose like this one did. I only spent about 45 min at the dealership to get this fixed. Unfortunately the dealership is 100 miles away.

One good thing, they showed me the proper way to change my oil, so atleast I feel better about my own maintenance down the road.

Lotsa bad luck up to now. Hope the worst is over. I guess thats why we have break-in periods. Driving her home she felt great. Looking forward to some awesome track days. Plus with all the carting back and forth to the dealership, Ive been able to log most of the break in miles.

Sebring this weekend????
Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by U4IA187
Well shes back again and safe in the garage.

The trouble with shifting into reverse had to do with a loose shifter cable. Very Easy fix once the car was lifted. Infact, the mechanic told me he usually places zip ties around the bases where the shifter cables insert to keep them from coming loose like this one did. I only spent about 45 min at the dealership to get this fixed. Unfortunately the dealership is 100 miles away.

One good thing, they showed me the proper way to change my oil, so atleast I feel better about my own maintenance down the road.

Lotsa bad luck up to now. Hope the worst is over. I guess thats why we have break-in periods. Driving her home she felt great. Looking forward to some awesome track days. Plus with all the carting back and forth to the dealership, Ive been able to log most of the break in miles.

Sebring this weekend????
Care to repeat what the dealer service tech showed you?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
U4IA187
Advanced

Id be happy to. Ill try to jack up the car this weekend and Ill post some pics.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by U4IA187
Id be happy to. Ill try to jack up the car this weekend and Ill post some pics.
Thanks, I'm due for a change.

FWIW, Sunset doesn't have the part number for the 2010 GT3 oil filter. Assuming that the GT1 block would take the same part as the 997 GT3 MK1, that is what I ordered.

Let me guess, MJones probably has it....
Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

ok I can report after picking my car up from the dealer this morning that nothing is wrong, here is the exact line I got from porsche

"considered normal conditions due to engine type - will decrease as motor breaks in and rings set - usually 5000-7000 miles, advise customer to check oil every 3rd fill up."

so all that smoke is nothing. thank god.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cr207
ok I can report after picking my car up from the dealer this morning that nothing is wrong, here is the exact line I got from porsche

"considered normal conditions due to engine type - will decrease as motor breaks in and rings set - usually 5000-7000 miles, advise customer to check oil every 3rd fill up."

That or they don't want to deal with it.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:08 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by cr207

A puff of smoke at startup is perfectly normal, as is extra oil consumption during break-in.

Quick Reply: GT3 mkII started to leak oil day after delivery