Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SharkWerks 8800 RPM 3.9L Engine Upgrade for ZKERMIT

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Wow, I didn't the stock heads come CNC ported.
2. I wonder what the cost of cams installed with tuning will be for those of us with a 3.8 coming? With variocam on the intake and exhausts cams on the MKII, they should be able to make even more.
3. Has anyone dynoed a 2010 yet for a comparison to 2007? ...maybe a task for Dan and his new Silver toy
Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HOLY COW!!! That is AWESOME!!

GROUP BUY!! LOL
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

GoodGooglyMoogly!!

Fantastic write-up and great pics.

Andreas
Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Just shoot me.... No really...

Amazing pictures and thread.... When my P'car grows up... IT WANTS TO BE ONE OF THESE...

John
Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! that is kick ***! Good job guy's your tops!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

How much is shipping from the East coast?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Nice work guys!

I spy 132mm con rods.
Hey MarinS4, keep spying:P Thank you!

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Can you put one of these in a Cayman?
Hey Michael, now that would be something cool. We talked about it and no doubt it would be one helluva a car.. Someday

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
1. Wow, I didn't the stock heads come CNC ported.
2. I wonder what the cost of cams installed with tuning will be for those of us with a 3.8 coming? With variocam on the intake and exhausts cams on the MKII, they should be able to make even more.
3. Has anyone dynoed a 2010 yet for a comparison to 2007? ...maybe a task for Dan and his new Silver toy
Good eye and those are some very trick heads. Really. There are some other great factory parts in there too...

The new 3.8's going to pose some challenges but we're already on it. The ECU is a 997TT ECU (hence the variocam for the intake as well as the exhaust cams this time tie). So on no.2 hold that thought

Originally Posted by Ritesh
HOLY COW!!! That is AWESOME!!

GROUP BUY!! LOL
Danke:P and too funny. We're honestly going to limit our commitment to one of these every month or so no group buys

Originally Posted by AOW162435
GoodGooglyMoogly!!

Fantastic write-up and great pics.

Andreas
Danke Andreas!

Originally Posted by John D.
Just shoot me.... No really...

Amazing pictures and thread.... When my P'car grows up... IT WANTS TO BE ONE OF THESE...

John
Hey John, now where would rennlist be if we did that Thanks ever so much and I have to see I'm off the sauce for good now (otherwise known as forced induction). This NA motor truly gets my needs taken care of

Originally Posted by ironimages
Wow! that is kick ***! Good job guy's your tops!
Wow thank you:P

Originally Posted by Jon70
How much is shipping from the East coast?
Hey Jon good chatting to you the other day and actually it's not as bad as you think. There are some very good companies out there such as Plycar, Intercity Lines etc...
Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To give all of you folks an idea (and you guys asked for this) over the past couple of days we managed to get access to a private road (no traffic) where we were able to pit the 3.9 RS vs our new 2010 997 GT3 (a strong car in its own right). Guys I have to tell you it wasn't much of a contest 2nd through 3rd forgeddaboutit. Even after a few mods in 3rd gear with the 2010 tuned with our track exhaust we went past it like it was tied to a tree We've got video coming to show you this as well (it'll be a few days).
Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To give all of you folks an idea (and you guys asked for this) over the past couple of days we managed to get access to a private road (no traffic) where we were able to pit the 3.9 RS vs our new 2010 997 GT3 (a strong car in its own right). Guys I have to tell you it wasn't much of a contest 2nd through 3rd forgeddaboutit. Even after a few mods in 3rd gear with the 2010 tuned with our track exhaust we went past it like it was tied to a tree We've got video coming to show you this as well (it'll be a few days).
Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny where things lead you.

My desire for better throttle response led me to the SharkWerks ECU... ($1400)

Everyone says that the exhaust bypass is a no-brainer... ($1900)

So I check out the link for their 3.9 engine ($25K) upgrade and see that it includes the $3+K worth of ECU and exhaust I'm already sold on, plus all the parts and full labor to r&r and rebuild the motor to 3.9 spec.... and that would give me an 8800 rpm engine and 50+ ft/lbs... (Will this be enough to minimize the noticeable drop between gears?)

I've owned the car for far too short a time to be thinking about this.

So why do I find myself thinking about it several times a day?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti

So I check out the link for their 3.9 engine ($25K) upgrade and see that it includes the $3+K worth of ECU and exhaust I'm already sold on, plus all the parts and full labor to r&r and rebuild the motor to 3.9 spec.... and that would give me an 8800 rpm engine and 50+ ft/lbs... (Will this be enough to minimize the noticeable drop between gears?)

It only took me one sleepless night before I knew the 3.9 was to much of a bargin to pass up and my desire for a 2010 RS was history!! If anyone has their heart set on a 2010 GT3/RS, do not go to Sharkwerks and drive Kermit!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

You've driven it?

Were you able to drive it fast enough to see what gear transitions are like? Does it make the gear ratios seem like a better match?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

You've driven it?

Were you able to drive it fast enough to see what gear transitions are like? Does it make the gear ratios seem like a better match?
Oh yeah, I have driven it!! And yes I drove it very fast. The whole 3.9 kit is perfect, you would think it came from the factory. My motor is next, that's how much I liked it.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Oh yeah, I have driven it!! And yes I drove it very fast. The whole 3.9 kit is perfect, you would think it came from the factory. My motor is next, that's how much I liked it.
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We've got you first and another local GT3 (second) and then some stuff starts shipping in

LOL good talking to you Steve and as I was saying to someone else you'll get full credit for the exhaust should/if you ever want to do the 3.9 later But see what the software/exhaust does for you and if you're ever in the area you're most welcome to try out Kermit:P To me the car feels a lot more fun to drive. It's not dead/numb down low at all....

It only took me one sleepless night before I knew the 3.9 was to much of a bargin to pass up and my desire for a 2010 RS was history!! If anyone has their heart set on a 2010 GT3/RS, do not go to Sharkwerks and drive Kermit!!!
I thought that was because of the latest addition to the family:P BIG BIG BIG congrats btw! And we can't wait to get started:P

You've driven it?

He has and my tires can prove it We'd considered doing gearing but like everyone else has said... why bother:P

As an FYI, I've been daily driving her and commuting in traffic and the way the light-load tuning was done (not to mention the higher compression and more torque) the car is actually even easier to drive in those conditions than before. She hasn't skipped a beat:P

Quick Reply: SharkWerks 8800 RPM 3.9L Engine Upgrade for ZKERMIT