Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

So sorry to hear this.

Please keep us updated.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

I get a call at 6am and the detective wants to come and talk to me and so forth. I was like cant we just talk on the phone? He is like, no, I want to discuss this in person. So I was like ok great, come on over.

He asks me all sorts of questions. Some of them are very weird. He asks me if I know anyone that would want to steal my car and so forth and if I know anyone in Vegas, blah blah. It goes on for about 20 minutes.

Then he hands me pictures of my car, which has been torched and had signs of major abuse (the front spolier was completely gone for example). It took me at least 30 seconds to accept the fact that it was in fact my car....

He says that it is not possible to steal these cars and that I had to have paid someone to do this to my car. I was in utter shock. Seeing my car dead and burned and then being falsely accused of having been involved with it.

This is all totally insane.

I had my car key on me and my other key is at my home in LA. The detective took my car key.

They threatened me for about 1 hour saying that if I didnt confess that I was going to jail.
Anyway, I didnt do it and since I had my key on me I dont understand why/how they think I had anything to do with it.

So the question is - was the detective full of **** when he said it is not possible to hot wire a porsche???
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad plot from CIS Miami! Sorry to hear this nightmare...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy **** dude. Unbelieveable...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
leed012
Intermediate

Sorry to hear the bad news. Feel your pain!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

In theory he is correct. Cars these days have transponder keys that are specific to each car and deactivate the individual immobiliser when inserted. Insert someone elses key and you get nothing. Pull some ignition leads and bridge and you get nothing. This is why it is so expensive and involved to get a new key programmed at the dealer.

Therefore theives tend to steal peoples' keys to get highend cars and since you still have yours, he is making assumptions about involvement. Alternative scenarios would include a duplicate key having been made whilst you've had a service??? if your other key hasn't gone missing without your knowledge....
Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Now, not only do I have to deal with getting home, buying a new car AND insurance nightmares... I have taking a freaking polygraph and deal with convincing the las vegas police that I didnt torch my own car..

un freaking believable..

Talk about a bad day. This is one of the worst days I have ever had.........

I am so freaking pissed off. I was like, let me take a polygraph right now! and then you can apologize to me when I pass with flying colors.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Get an attorney and don't take a polygraph. Polygraph results aren't admissible in Nevada. The Police just use a polygraph as a pretense to interrogate you and try to get you to admit incriminating information. Even if you pass with flying colors it doesn't help you one bit. There is NOTHING you can say to the police that will help your situation. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02514885833865
Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No cameras in the parking area?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 PM
chardonet
Racer

This totally sucks. Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Maybe the scumbags tried to flatbed your car away (front spoiler trashed), and then when they couldn't get it to start, they torched it...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911rox
In theory he is correct. Cars these days have transponder keys that are specific to each car and deactivate the individual immobiliser when inserted. Insert someone elses key and you get nothing. Pull some ignition leads and bridge and you get nothing. This is why it is so expensive and involved to get a new key programmed at the dealer.

Therefore theives tend to steal peoples' keys to get highend cars and since you still have yours, he is making assumptions about involvement. Alternative scenarios would include a duplicate key having been made whilst you've had a service??? if your other key hasn't gone missing without your knowledge....
OK, well a duplicate key being made would be very hard to believe since I live in LA and im in vegas and I have never let my key out of my possession - I didnt and do not valet because i hate the idea of letting someone else drive my car. (Although I might start doing that if I ever come back here because there is more security in the valet area...)

So - how did a duplicate key get made? It was only one night so the theives must have had some technology to defeat the electronic protection.

Like SolidMetal said, I feel like I am incorrectly trapped in a horrible CSI episode...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chardonet
This totally sucks. Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Maybe the scumbags tried to flatbed your car away (front spoiler trashed), and then when they couldn't get it to start, they torched it...

Now THAT makes sense.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Don't take it to heart about the police making assumptions... most of them don't have an IQ higher than their age in any case and tend not to think any further than the obvious. Get someone to check for your other key. If neither of your keys are missing, start thinking about when someone may have had access to your car with opportunity to reprogramme a key (dealer, tuner etc) and pass on the details. Its their job to find the purp...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chardonet
True, but anyone flatbedding the car would know it won't start and would be more inclined to take it for the purposes of stripping the car for parts. I doubt they would just torch it... imho

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED