Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 gt3-To leather or not to leather??? Opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2010 gt3-To leather or not to leather??? Opinions please...

I'm a couple of weeks off specifying a 2010 gt3 and I've been considering a leather package option... The car will be a keeper and therefore I'm thinking long term durability. It will be used more on the road but hopefully won't be a stranger to the local tracks. Therefore a few pounds of weight isn't going to phase me as I'm sure I've got a spare 20 pounds myself to lose if I was going to be precious about weight penalties.

Just hoping to hear some opinions from those who have previously specified leather as to how well it wears and how it compares to the standard leatherette in durability?... Also, will I be opening a can of worms with extra maintenance and treatment of leather/alcantara surfaces should I take the option? What leather maintenance is recommended and how frequently?

Never done leather before in a car... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Chris

Last edited by 911rox; 07-21-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 952 Posts

Trust you're already aware but you do give up Alcantara on lower dash and door inserts if you don't specify full leather. May or may not matter to you.

Re: maintenance, never had an issue with maintenance on newer leather interiors in German cars. Downside is they've processed out the great smell that used to come with a leather interior.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Just note that now "Full Leather" is anything but.....only the top of dash and very little at top of door (plus A/C pillars and below rear qtr window)...most of the "Leather" is now Alcantara. So the question is...do you want a "Full Alcantara" interior for the long haul

WSH
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I would (and did) spring for it. The modern Porsche interiors just look cheap w/o full leather - not befitting a six-figure car, tracked or not.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Trust you're already aware but you do give up Alcantara on lower dash and door inserts if you don't specify full leather. May or may not matter to you.

Re: maintenance, never had an issue with maintenance on newer leather interiors in German cars. Downside is they've processed out the great smell that used to come with a leather interior.
I am and to be honest I feel it looks cheap without the leather/alcantara splashes...The only thing concerning me is the fact that they may be tricky to keep looking good as they age?

Originally Posted by WSH
Just note that now "Full Leather" is anything but.....only the top of dash and very little at top of door (plus A/C pillars and below rear qtr window)...most of the "Leather" is now Alcantara. So the question is...do you want a "Full Alcantara" interior for the long haul

WSH
Sadly you are correct... shame there isn't a price reduction for this option relative to the rest of the 911 range to reflect the use of less leather and more of the less expensive alcantara... Still I'm happy to spec as it looks heaps nicer, just as long as it ain't a nightmare to maintain...

Originally Posted by triode
I would (and did) spring for it. The modern Porsche interiors just look cheap w/o full leather - not befitting a six-figure car, tracked or not.
Couldn't agree more triode! Exactly the reason I'm strongly considerng the base leather package...
Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

i like leather, but not in a car. i HATE the stitching. not sure why.
but it's your car. FWIW, my race car a BSR has full leather interior. the dash which is the most abused leather parts, had ZERO delamination. judging from the interior condition of my race car when i bought it as a street car, the owner never took care of the interior (beyond dirty). even then, the dash after 9 years looks as good as new, just dirty due to no maintenance. so if you worry about long term durability, no prob.

two other friends both '99 had great looking leather both over 100k miles.

other posters are correct, a lot of leather is now alcantara. look great when new. but 6 years down the road.... not sure i want all that sweat soaked in there.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the more leather the car has the better, because it is then easier to clean and condition with leather care products. If you have a significant mix of leather and vinyl, the process is more difficult and requires two products. Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 952 Posts

One warning dealer gave me was never to vacuum Alcantara when it's wet - wait until it's dry. Apparently it can pill up if vacuumed when wet. Not an issue for lower dash and door inserts as these areas aren't really exposed to sweat; perhaps more of an issue for steering wheel and seats for some. I can see sweating through a suit and gloves in real race car w/o AC but view it as minor concern in occasional track-day car with AC. I went full leather FWIW.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the full leather with alcantara. Best interior of any car I've owned. No problems yet with maint. but only 2.5 yrs into it. One of the main advantages of the alcantara that hasn't been mentioned is, when left in the hot sun (even 130 plus interior temp) you can get right in and not burn yourself on the seat, wheel or shifter.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

While we are on the subject - I hate Alcantara(except on the headliner)! Is it possible to order the GT3 without any of it?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

on the GT3 ordering guide (usa), at the very back few pages, i think there's an option to replace alcantara with leather. certain on the door panel (side airbag) area, but not sure if all can be replaced.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Full Leather = More Alcantara
In Alcantara: Door handle, door mirror, door storage compartment lid, extension of door storage compartment, center console storage compartment lid, and lower part of dashboard including glove
compartment.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

You can order the steering wheel in leather, but everything else IIRC is a choice between alcantara and vinyl.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Vinyl?! Nothing says living like the squeak of a fine man-made material!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the look of the Alcantara/Leather mix.
The interior looks and feels great with it.
I would definitely get it.

Quick Reply: 2010 gt3-To leather or not to leather??? Opinions please...