Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 gt3-To leather or not to leather??? Opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

MJones summed it up nicely (doesn't he always?) but here is what it looks like. For me, I wanted the dash most of all so I opted for Full Leather (alcantara).
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:57 PM
PNUT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ordered mine with the full leather. i too, am planning a long term relationship with my new gt3 and think that the leather package will bring more to the party for me. my gt3 is being off-loaded today in san diego.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
green
Pro

Mine is ordered with full leather as well. Should be here in december. Debated getting leather inserts on seats instead of the alcantara, but it would be an extra 1 k better spent elsewhere
Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 7 Posts

The Alcantara wears faster than leather be aware. Its not real suede either its a simulated suede.
Just factor that in.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
buttons123
Instructor

[QUOTE=911rox;6747483]I'm a couple of weeks off specifying a 2010 gt3 and I've been considering a leather package option... The car will be a keeper and therefore I'm thinking long term durability. It will be used more on the road but hopefully won't be a stranger to the local tracks. Therefore a few pounds of weight isn't going to phase me as I'm sure I've got a spare 20 pounds myself to lose if I was going to be precious about weight penalties.

Just hoping to hear some opinions from those who have previously specified leather as to how well it wears and how it compares to the standard leatherette in durability?... Also, will I be opening a can of worms with extra maintenance and treatment of leather/alcantara surfaces should I take the option? What leather maintenance is recommended and how frequently?

Never done leather before in a car... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

to alcantara

to full leather and carbon bits

Especially if it's a keeper!!!!!

Buttons
Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm always thinking resell, even if that isn't my intention. So, what ever would aid resell in your area.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would consider replacing my GT3.1 lower dash with the Alcantara.
I think it looks great.
Possible?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd have to agree that the leather option certainly improves the look of the car and it is the reason I'm leaning towards it... Would it be an idea to go leather on the gear shifter and steering wheel considering that a few have made reference to sweaty stains in time and these two are the highest contact areas??
Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

for longevity, i would go leather on str wheel and shifter
for tactile quality, go with alcantara.
tough decision i know.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:09 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rox
I'd have to agree that the leather option certainly improves the look of the car and it is the reason I'm leaning towards it... Would it be an idea to go leather on the gear shifter and steering wheel considering that a few have made reference to sweaty stains in time and these two are the highest contact areas??

Yes.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my Alcantara Shifter and Ebrake with Carbon right away. I didnt like the way the alcatara wore.
The GT3 is a racer right out of the box. Full leather and stitching is Turbo territory. Look at a Cup car and compare.
The 996 interior was so poor you NEEDED full leather.
the 997 interior is superior and doesnt need it. If you have the money to waste go for it.
I would save that money and apply it to CF bits which make sense for a racer. Leather is a heavy
addition and CF is a light weight subtraction.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Leather it up....

26141 Seat Inlays in Standard Leather
26181 Door Pull Handle and Storage Compartment Lid in Standard Leather
26183 Rear Center Console Storage Compartment Lid in Standard Leather
26182 Door Center Panel in Standard Leather

One option missing:
lower part of dashboard including glove compartment.

Guess your stuck with Alcatera for the lower dashboard
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

I vacillated on this issue with my '07 GT3.

Finally decided to go with "full leather".

I'm glad I did.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it be an idea to go leather on the gear shifter
Originally Posted by mooty
i would go leather on str wheel and shifter
There is no leather gear shifter available. The standard shifter in the Carrera models is only half leather and half "aluminium-look" (not real aluminium) as shown in the following pic:

Also, the shift pattern bit on top of the shifter is aluminium-look in the Carrera models as opposed to volcano grey in the GT3.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a couple of weeks off specifying a 2010 gt3 and I've been considering a leather package option... The car will be a keeper and therefore I'm thinking long term durability. It will be used more on the road but hopefully won't be a stranger to the local tracks. Therefore a few pounds of weight isn't going to phase me as I'm sure I've got a spare 20 pounds myself to lose if I was going to be precious about weight penalties.

Just hoping to hear some opinions from those who have previously specified leather as to how well it wears and how it compares to the standard leatherette in durability?... Also, will I be opening a can of worms with extra maintenance and treatment of leather/alcantara surfaces should I take the option? What leather maintenance is recommended and how frequently?

Never done leather before in a car... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Chris
First, if you are looking for durability that you are better off not going full leather. My 79' 911 S/C is in the upholstry shop getting a lot of the interior re-finished: new carpeting, recovered upper trim, dash and console. One of the things we talked about early was covering the dash in leather. The chop completely recommended against it. Here is the problem, the leather expands and contracts different than the plastic surface it is laid on top of. As leather hardens over time (you can only treat the surface), it can actually warps the surface underneath. They advised me against it because they have worked on so several of these cars where the dashes became so warped than once they were pulled out to be recovered, they would not go back in.

Quick Reply: 2010 gt3-To leather or not to leather??? Opinions please...