Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

rear brake cooling solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
P50 for 40,000 of the miles. The greens are P-50 in the front but the rears are still P-40 material and are thicker than the black P-40. With the the rears last even longer.
Thanks, I'll go through one more set of OEM pads then I'm changing to P-50. Hopefully the rotors will last. How many miles do you have on your 7 now?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the car in March with 2500 miles I am at 8,000 today. I will bein Alaska fishing for the next 10 days so it will reduced my miles per day. The brakes on the 997 are way better than the 996 and the ABS seems to activate later.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A freind the built 935's for HH said they look like recycled 935 ducts.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
willr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- i think the ceramics are good for about 70 days (thats my guess)
- you can use re-use the calipers with iron replacements
- there are a few iron replacement solutions (Brembo & others)
- full set of ceramics is about $14k
- full iron Brembo replacement is about $4k (runs a different front pad)

- so the real question is do ceramics last 3X as long as Brembo replacements
Well I just discovered that my front right PCCB has delaminated, after only 18 months and around 20 trackdays. All the discs were feeling slightly worn on the outside, but the inside face of the front right disc has gone completely.

I knew getting PCCB would be an experiment, but now I'll be switching to steels.

By the way, anyone have any comments about Performance Friction rotors? They are cheaper than Brembo here in UK.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by willr
Well I just discovered that my front right PCCB has delaminated, after only 18 months and around 20 trackdays. All the discs were feeling slightly worn on the outside, but the inside face of the front right disc has gone completely.

I knew getting PCCB would be an experiment, but now I'll be switching to steels.

By the way, anyone have any comments about Performance Friction rotors? They are cheaper than Brembo here in UK.
Mine look all OK apart from the 3 delaminated circles around the circumfrence of the disc.

Can't get a straight decision out of my dealer as to what these circles mean
Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM
willr
Advanced

I believe those circles are wear indicators, which start off worn. If you compare the feel on the circle with the feel of the rest of the disc surface, you get some impression how worn the disc is.

The outside of my discs all felt OK - not as smooth as new, not as rough as the 3 circles. It was a different story on the inside...
Old 07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly sure what you mean by "delaminated" - can you please explain?

Either the rotors are "solid" not delaminated or by delaminated you somehow mean the ceramic material has completed separated from the carbon material (can't possibly imagine this is true)

The rotors are fine with small cracks in the ceramic material and they are also fine with the "circles" showing

I think they are not fine when you have "significant" cracks / "space" between the ceramic material as this is what disapates the heat / technically stops the car (yes I know tires stop the car)

The reason I use the word significant is that at that point the heat is not being disapated by the ceramic coating but it will then penetrate the rotor and it could crack under the heat

So, for all of us here, who told you the rotors had delaminated?

Can you give us a picture?

Maybe we can save you some money - maybe?

I have done far more than 18 trackdays - think I'm on my 8th set of pads - 5 OE and 3 green

Front rotors look ok (yes some use for sure)
Rear rotors look more used - but still more in them for sure
Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
GlennMc
Racer

Here's pic of my rear disc.

My dealer says that from their technical bulletin, that when there is a space of 1cm squared of delamination within these circles, then the disc needs changing.

The rest of the disc surface looks fine though....would appraciate anyones thoughts on this...
Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennMc
Here's pic of my rear disc.

My dealer says that from their technical bulletin, that when there is a space of 1cm squared of delamination within these circles, then the disc needs changing.

The rest of the disc surface looks fine though....would appraciate anyones thoughts on this...
- In my opinion (yes only mine) those rotors are perfectly fine
- there was a picture a while back of someone who attended a Porsche school somewhere in the states where you drive different pcars for three days and they had a lot of famous teachers - they showed a set of ceramics that had been taken off to be replaced

- yours look brand new by comparison

- my own rear disks look far more worn in comparison and I think they have another 20 days in them

- i do not look at the "circle" but look at the surface of the rotor and how many micro cracks in the ceramic material i can see (not like a crack in an iron disk that is an actual crack in the metal) but a crack in the very thin ceramic surface that is mated on top of the carbon structure underneath

- in my opinion, those rotors are fine for another 20 days easily likely many more than that)

- just my opinion
Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- In my opinion (yes only mine) those rotors are perfectly fine
- there was a picture a while back of someone who attended a Porsche school somewhere in the states where you drive different pcars for three days and they had a lot of famous teachers - they showed a set of ceramics that had been taken off to be replaced

- yours look brand new by comparison

- my own rear disks look far more worn in comparison and I think they have another 20 days in them

- i do not look at the "circle" but look at the surface of the rotor and how many micro cracks in the ceramic material i can see (not like a crack in an iron disk that is an actual crack in the metal) but a crack in the very thin ceramic surface that is mated on top of the carbon structure underneath

- in my opinion, those rotors are fine for another 20 days easily likely many more than that)

- just my opinion
Thanks for that, yes, i am of the same opinion, and will run them untill the surface starts to show a lot more wear.

Hopefully these new brake ducts will help their life span too.

G.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM
willr
Advanced

Glenn, those discs look fine - but I would recommend checking the inside face, as that is likely to get hotter and wear faster.

My discs look more worn than yours on the outside, but the inside of one now has just a few patches of the thin ceramic skin left and the rest feels like very rough sandpaper. That's what I mean by delaminated.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Glenn, those discs look fine - but I would recommend checking the inside face, as that is likely to get hotter and wear faster.

My discs look more worn than yours on the outside, but the inside of one now has just a few patches of the thin ceramic skin left and the rest feels like very rough sandpaper. That's what I mean by delaminated.
Good call, i will check the inside of the disc asap.

G.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Power
Amen to that.

I think similar thoughts every time I add another RS to the registry with full leather, navigation with DVD, chrono dash wart, telephone module, and leather seat belt buckles.

Only 2 out of the 413 sent to the USA were ordered without air conditioning. Only a few have the lighter halogen headlights.

I have yet to see a USA RS with the front section of the roll cage installed. I would guess that 1 in 25 RoW cars have a full cage.

I couldn't agree more, though that's what I ended up with - well, minus the telephone module and leather seat belt buckles. But if you weren't on the right list when orders were made, you have to find one that you can live with.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Threadjackers! Sheesh!

Anyway, if you're retrofitting the ducts, note that the undertray of the 997.2 GT3 has a new intake duct to direct airflow to the scoop on the control arm.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Carrera GT; 08-01-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New Ducts

I've also installed the new rear brake ducts.

My experience (I don't have ceramic brakes) is that the rear rotor temps are decreased on average 150 degrees F with the newly installed ducts. This has been a good thing for this car. Especially with the slight increase in rear brake bias as compared to the 996. I don't detect as much fade or heat build up in the rear pads at the end of a 30 minute run group. Hopefully this will translate into better pad wear. Who knows?

Unlike Paul and others, I was simply in too much of a rush to install the new ducts and try them, that I did not trim the inferior portion of the tin rotor shield. I did notice that the GT3 comes with a shield that is trimmed at the inferior portion in a linear fashion in stock form. I also had to trim some of the plastic of the rear duct brackets to secure a good fit. I actually broke my first set of duct brackets while installing. I think that some of the lower control arms are slightly different on these cars.

Last edited by sasportas; 08-02-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: rear brake cooling solution