Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

rear brake cooling solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I called to look into ordering this mod and was told that parts are now a month plus away from shipping is that what everyone else is hearing??
that's about right, all those parts are in Germany, and the M6 bolts are on back order!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I got them installed today, both the front 996 CUP ducts and the MKII rears. Will pick up the car and let you know if it all works OK with a pretty low setup and 18" on Hoosiers. I hope it does not rain today...
got any pictures?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
that's about right, all those parts are in Germany, and the M6 bolts are on back order!
I get those M6 bolts in a variety of lengths and strengths from a local metrics hardware place ... a bag of 50 is about the same as buying 10 with Porsche part numbers ... and they're identical right down the smooth sided heads or "grip" heads.

Why any Porsche dealer would waste staff time and processing costs to order these things from the factory is beyond me. Any decent Wurth box should be overflowing with this stuff.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Adam
That photo looks to be a MY 07-08 GT3
The scoop ducts out just inside the fender liner.

Here are a couple pics of MY10, the undertray scoop remains as on the previous model. + the addition of the ducts.
No, that's the underside of a friend's '10 GT3 ... I'm now curious to understand why the scoops aren't on the arms? I just looked at more recent photos of the same car and the scoops are there on the arms. Fortunately, I know the tech that PDI'd the car, so I'll ask him to explain -- perhaps the scoops arrive uninstalled with the car (like the chin spoiler or because they were a late change on these launch cars?)
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

FYI, I drove my car home yesterday from FVD, the rear ducts are great, easy fit and look meant to be there..

No expert, but I think we have to much heat in the rear, if the brown VS red calipers are a good temp indicator, in that case get them.

The fonts had to be trimmed little to fit inside the front wheel and are very low, they scrape before the CUP spoiler scrapes. I drove home with 2 extra rotors in the trunk on 18" Hoosiers and they scraped on the slightest wave in the road until the tire pressure came up and or lost about 1/2" of the bottom and now they do not scrape at all with my stock wheels. :-)

Not sure how much extra cooling the fronts give and if they will last on the street and Sebring but I wanted to try if they fit.

I hope to go to Sebring next week and I will find out how much is left of them after that.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Adam
That photo looks to be a MY 07-08 GT3
The scoop ducts out just inside the fender liner.

Here are a couple pics of MY10, the undertray scoop remains as on the previous model. + the addition of the ducts.
I have the forward duct on my 2007 as well. Directs the air to the front half of the rear rotor.

The new duct is about a 5 minute job not including trimming the tin guard.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
I have the forward duct on my 2007 as well. Directs the air to the front half of the rear rotor.

The new duct is about a 5 minute job not including trimming the tin guard.
Does the guard need trimming?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, to get a totally unobstructed air flow.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
yes, to get a totally unobstructed air flow.
I wish we could figure out if the '10 shield is different ... and retofittable to
the '07's et al ... it would save cutting
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how much extra cooling the fronts give and if they will last on the street and Sebring but I wanted to try if they fit.

I hope to go to Sebring next week and I will find out how much is left of them after that.
I put those on my car also (which is also a daily driver). My first session at Sebring with the ducts I got a mechanical black flag. Apparently ever brake zone I went into the front ducts scraped and the corner workers thought something was loose and dragging. By the end of the second session, the scraping was over!

However, it looks like the rear ducts are complete non-brainer.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I put those on my car also (which is also a daily driver). My first session at Sebring with the ducts I got a mechanical black flag. Apparently ever brake zone I went into the front ducts scraped and the corner workers thought something was loose and dragging. By the end of the second session, the scraping was over!

OK, let's hope I don't get a black flag :-)
I'm catching all the bumps on the way to and from work prepping for Sebring...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CoGT3

weird that the 966's dont exhibit such behavior (as I recall anyway) ...

On a related matter, any '10 owners care to try and get a shot of your
brake shields, in the absence of an '10 PET we cant tell if the .1 and .2 shields
are the same or different, I would prefer not to cut mine when I install the
shields!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I removed the brake shields on mine, so should fit just fine :-)
Were you able to do this without removing the rotors/calipers???

If so can you describe for others on the thread?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Tom Trew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You certainly cannot remove the shields without removing the calipers and rotors. There are 4 bolts that hold the shields in place that are only accessible once you remove the rotor.

You can however trim the shield without removing the rotors. You need the car on a lift (or on jackstands). I used my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel after putting the ducts in place and using a pencil to trace the amount of duct to remove. Took maybe 10 minutes per side.

I just came back from 5 days on Road America (serious braking on 3 long straights per lap), plus 3 days at Mid Ohio and can report that the rear pad wear was impressive. The rear rotors that had about 25 track days on them were cracking between holes on the outside, but when removed, showed almost no cracking on the inside. Personally, I think these ducts will pay for themselves in pad and rotor wear in less than one season. No brainer as someone else said.

The frequent removal of rear rotors for pad replacement finally caused me to strip the rear caliper threads though. I have been EXTREMELY careful about proper torque since I have owned the car. During my trip, between Road America and Mid Ohio, I replaced the rear pads, no problem. When I got home and decided to replace the rear rotors, one of the bolts came out with about 2 1/2 threads of aluminum on it. I thought to myself "this can't be good". When I replaced the bolt, it stripped at about 20 ft-lbs. My shop (AutoTherapy in Rockville, MD) came to the rescue. I now have all 4 rear bolts firmly installed in Timecerts. I am thinking this is a smart proactive move for all of us 997 GT3 track drivers.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Trew
You certainly cannot remove the shields without removing the calipers and rotors. There are 4 bolts that hold the shields in place that are only accessible once you remove the rotor.

You can however trim the shield without removing the rotors. You need the car on a lift (or on jackstands). I used my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel after putting the ducts in place and using a pencil to trace the amount of duct to remove. Took maybe 10 minutes per side.

I just came back from 5 days on Road America (serious braking on 3 long straights per lap), plus 3 days at Mid Ohio and can report that the rear pad wear was impressive. The rear rotors that had about 25 track days on them were cracking between holes on the outside, but when removed, showed almost no cracking on the inside. Personally, I think these ducts will pay for themselves in pad and rotor wear in less than one season. No brainer as someone else said.
Hey Tom, that's what I figured ... I guess it's time to dremmel, speaking of
which how did you protect the surface of the rotor, I'd hate to try and trim the
shield and scar my PCCB's with the dremmel?

Quick Reply: rear brake cooling solution