Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OMG - GT3 Preview at Silverstone this Wednesday. Get to meet God - Andreas Preuninger

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here is a question from what we have been told earlier today.......

"* The 997.2 GT3 rear wing is mounted on a 997.1 GT3RS base - only the top wing differs."

What is the difference in downforce from the 997.1 GT3 RS rear wing and the 997.2 GT3 rear wing? Would there be much of a reason, if any, to upgrade the rear wing on a 997.2 GT3?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 955 Posts

What is the "brown plug"?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by black lamb
The active engine mounts can be retro-fitted but only on the Gen2 - needs wiring etc. Andreas P told me it should be c. 1hr labour at the dealer so no need to wait for a factory build on this.
Excellent - thank you!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
What is the "brown plug"?
Is it the plug in the engine bay that you can pull out to increase exhaust sound but really increases the resonance to an almost unbearable level??
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney

"* The 997.2 GT3 rear wing is mounted on a 997.1 GT3RS base - only the top wing differs."

What is the difference in downforce from the 997.1 GT3 RS rear wing and the 997.2 GT3 rear wing? Would there be much of a reason, if any, to upgrade the rear wing on a 997.2 GT3?
Excellent suggestion for a question! Buttons123 if you get the opportunity, this is a worthwhile one....
Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
Thank you to all!
This is what makes Rennlist a great place
Agreed 100%
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney

Very interesting and not a question that I thought to ask at the time, but on hindsight it does make sense. All I would say is he was at pains to show that the aerodynamics of the mk2 car were significantly better and had been balanced to give a near perfect 60:40 front:rear split in downforce. An RS rear wing might upset this balance? Do you mean you would want to do it for cosmentic reasons?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Oh and I forgot to say my driving instructor for the track sessions was former British Formula 1 driver Richard Attwood. What a lovely chap he is - was very polite about my driving!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 AM
kryten
Advanced

Not much more I can add.

You get a nut for the centre locks but no torque multiplier. There's a method of getting them on and only torquing to 100Nm - you then twist the centre 50 degrees that then lets you get to someone with a multiplier.

Dashboard comes with 'black leatherette' and NOT the full leather the display car had (it wasn't listed as an option the car had fitted but it definitely isn't standard)

Active mounts are 'best of both' - normal mounts for GT3 allow 17mm movement - active can restrict this to 2mm in their hardest setting.

Ride height of front lip is about 10cm and the one on the car they had looked very second hand!

Active mounts/Lift system available from September production (means the first 5 UK cars won't have it but they can be retro-fitted at dealer).
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adam2S
Very interesting and not a question that I thought to ask at the time, but on hindsight it does make sense. All I would say is he was at pains to show that the aerodynamics of the mk2 car were significantly better and had been balanced to give a near perfect 60:40 front:rear split in downforce. An RS rear wing might upset this balance? Do you mean you would want to do it for cosmentic reasons?

I am not necessarily considering changing my rear wing at this point on my 997.2 GT3 when I get it. I only have about 60 track days under my belt and have much to learn myself before modifications make a difference in my lap times. That being said since the switch to an 997.1 RS rear wing is basically bolt on, it would be good to know what gains could be made.

I could see 2 gains, one is looks depending upon the personal preference and the other gain is function. No need for an open discussion on looks as this is an individual choice. The function is more the issue to me. It sounds like there may be no need to change the rear wing as the 997.2 GT3 has made drastic gains over 997.1 GT3. That being said I bet the 997.2 GT3 RS does not have the same rear wing as the 997.2 GT3. So then the question becomes, "do you really need more rear downforce?"
Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

ok here are a couple of my shots of the static display car...

ok guys what have you got to report from today's sessions?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- when you look at that new wing and compare it in shape / curvature to the mk1.RS wing it looks identical
- it isn't as wide but very nearly so
- it has a slight convexity to it (some modern race wings have the wing section in the center slightly higher and less curvature as the air is coming down over the car and hitting the wing at a steeper angle so this also makes sense)

- my guess is the new gt3.mk2 wing produces 90%+ of the downforce of the mk1 RS wing now having seen it better in pictures

- if it attaches to the base with the exact same hardware / brackets (this would be logical) the the wing can be further increased in attack angle by approx 16 degrees (thus being able to produce more than enough downforce before drag becomes a factor - a pure race wing (larger / better shape) could produce more downforce with less drag) but then even more front aero would be needed

- what i want to know is can that front lip spoiler fit on the mk1 gt3 / rs as its aero profile is clearly better but it still looks streetable versus a cup lip which isn't (yes they are easily changed)
Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
kryten
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- what i want to know is can that front lip spoiler fit on the mk1 gt3 / rs as its aero profile is clearly better but it still looks streetable versus a cup lip which isn't (yes they are easily changed)
Someone in our group asked Andreas exactly that and the answer is no because the rest of the front is a different shape (aero) so the lip spoiler won't fit the Gen 1 997 GT3s.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:33 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- when you look at that new wing and compare it in shape / curvature to the mk1.RS wing it looks identical
- it isn't as wide but very nearly so
- it has a slight convexity to it (some modern race wings have the wing section in the center slightly higher and less curvature as the air is coming down over the car and hitting the wing at a steeper angle so this also makes sense)

- my guess is the new gt3.mk2 wing produces 90%+ of the downforce of the mk1 RS wing now having seen it better in pictures

- if it attaches to the base with the exact same hardware / brackets (this would be logical) the the wing can be further increased in attack angle by approx 16 degrees (thus being able to produce more than enough downforce before drag becomes a factor - a pure race wing (larger / better shape) could produce more downforce with less drag) but then even more front aero would be needed

No it won't fit, I asked today. The car is very similar in a lot of ways but he (Andreas) said most is new! Got a cup lip on mine and it catches now and then but it's not too bad, a lot softer and more durable than the original IMHO
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Originally Posted by cello
Yes;

Will PDK be offered in the next generation; should we buy PCCBs or Steel, is the RMS fixed, will the RS be 4.0L & how much will it weigh, how much aftermarket can we use before voiding warranty, etc., etc., ......

I envy you! Please report back whatever you learn and your impressions!

OK Cello I know you being subtly humorous in this post but here's a mini report, will have to post rest over the next day or so, does anyone here know how to post/attach video clips on here, if so could you post the link to explain how, thanks. Back to the car.

The car was a nice looker in the "flesh" and grew on one as the day went on, what was more impressive was that they took the feedback very seriously from their in-depth survey and have been trying to satisfy the majority.

PDK was asked for in the survey by roughly 25% and whilst they think the manual box is the way to go now, they are NOT totally dismissing it at the moment. It's in their thought process for maybe the long term future as an option but not just yet. Where it loses out big time is the weight comparison- 30 kilos I think was mentioned, just too big a difference.

Interestingly Andreas said his favorite options would be:

PCCB - light and very efficient

Standard carbon fibre buckets seats - only 10 kilo per seat (15 kg new folding ones and 22 kg normal comfort seats)

PADM and after hearing just exactly what they can do for the driving experience I've changed my mind- they are a must have (and relatively cheap)

No roll cage

The pretty bits he didn't really seem interested in, although he liked the front lift option as this opens up the car to a good few more customers who had clearance issues, car parks, speeds humps etc etc.

Lots more to follow, pics, vid's and other stuff but the others lads have really done the job very effectively. Got to sleep

Quick Reply: OMG - GT3 Preview at Silverstone this Wednesday. Get to meet God - Andreas Preuninger