Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3.2 Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997 GT3.2 Sunroof

So what is the verdict on the sunroof for the new GT3?

I have been reading on Porsche's website that it will come standard with a steel sunroof in more than one place now.

My dealer has already ordered their first allocation for a friend of mine, and they claim that they are 100% positive that it comes with a sunroof and that it cannot be deleted. They called their Porsche rep, and that is what he stated. The car might be coming in next month already, unless they hold it at the port for a few months.

I also read below in one of the posts that another order put in for a new GT3 also states that it comes with a sunroof.

This does not surprise me one bit, but I am still not convinced that the GT3.2 will have the sunroof. I'm really hoping that it won't anyway.

I have seen some of scans that state no sunroof, but I can find just as many that say it will have one.

Does anybody know for sure, or will we have to wait for the first cars to come in to find out? Some of you have connections to reliable sources at PCNA, right?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know on July 1

Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

The two places I find reference to sunroof on Porsche website is when doing a Comparison or by pulling up Standard Features within the Car Configurator. I haven't seen any official announcement that it will come with a sunroof and in fact every official doc I've seen to date stated clearly that it would not have one.

Would appreciate a post or scan if you have an official Porsche document stating it will come mandatory with sunroof.

As for dealer's, 90% are salesmen not car nuts and more often than not know less than their customer base, especially when it comes to GT3.

BL, there are going to be a lot of refunded deposits if Porsche blows this one again.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

I think its really hard to tell to be honest at this stage. The mk1 spec was always different in the US - the rest of the world didnt get a sunroof as standard on mk1. Most of the press material at the moment seems to be global so I wouldnt really be too sure that the US mk2 cars wont have a sunroof again. Thats said its equally likely that the configurator hasnt been correctly updated since the mk1 - they do seem to be rather slack in getting the options just right on it around the world.

Ive no idea why they did it last time to be honest - seems like the most unlikely of options to put on as standard on a GT3 even for the US market.

Maybe the germans reckon you guys all need the extra headroom!

Totally agree with your comments on dealers being salesmen and not car enthusiats and knowing s*d all about the product. Thats something that has annoyed the hell out of me for years - even if you accept its unfair to expect them to be a car nut you at least expect them to be knowledgable about the product they are selling!!! How do these people keep their jobs? If somebody working for me showed such a lack of knowledge in the subject Im employing them to do they would be out of the door!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
The two places I find reference to sunroof on Porsche website is when doing a Comparison or by pulling up Standard Features within the Car Configurator. I haven't seen any official announcement that it will come with a sunroof and in fact every official doc I've seen to date stated clearly that it would not have one.
That is my experience as well - everything on PCNA website (including my printed configuration) indicates "yes", but every photo I've seen in road tests, etc. was of Euro cars w/o sunroof.

I have a question in to my salesman with no answer yet. Though my preference on this matter is no doubt in the minority here, it won't change my mind either way - "there is no substitute". I always thought the way they handled the 997.1 GT3 was ideal - RS w/o sunroof for more track-oriented drivers, but s/r on the more street-oriented base car.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This directly from the Feb Product news given to all dealers:

The weight of the new 911 GT3 has been further reduced by modifying the body shell in the rear seat well area. Given the fact that the 911 GT3 is only available as a 2-seater, it was possible to omit the body structure reinforcements for the seat belts of the rear seat assembly through a change in the production technology. This measure provides an additional weight saving of approx. 2.4 lbs (1.1 kg) per vehicle.
Weight savings were also made in the roof area. As with previous models, a roof transport system is not offered for the new 911 GT3 due to its specific product positioning with an emphasis on driving dynamics. The roof area therefore does not require a preparation for a
Product News, February 2009, Porsche Academy, The New 911 GT3 43
roof transport system which includes fastening points and body structure reinforcements. This provides a weight saving of approx. 3.5 lbs (1.6 kg) per vehicle. The weight reduction in the roof area is particularly efficient, as it reduces the vehicle’s center of gravity and promotes driving dynamics. By omitting the preparation for a roof transport system, it was also possible to omit the flaps for securing the roof transport system supports in the side roof rails. The side roof rails of the new 911 GT3 thus have a one-piece design.

Does this answer your question??? If there is something newer I'd be interested.
After all I just got this 2 days ago.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

@Sweeper - isnt that just talking about the roof transport system - i.e. the mounting points for a roofrack - not actually a sunroof? Indeed it even says as with the prvious models, a roof transport system is not offered - thereby meaning that if a sunroof was possible before it should still be!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh no!! I think you're correct. I misunderstood this.. DUH

Maybe the point is, that no news regarding the sunroof is stated in the PN artical. This is the only section in this otherwise detailed release that address the roof and nothing is mentioned at all about the sun roof either way.

Sorry for the confusion
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2007 Order Guide says:Electric sliding roof with tip
open/close. Preparation for roof- rack system installation.
2009 Carrera Order Guide says: Electric sliding roof with tip
open/close. Preparation for roof-rack system installation.

2010 GT3 Order Guide has no mention of either.
Product news specifically addresses roof transport system:
The roof area therefore does not require a preparation for a
roof transport system which includes fastening points and body structure reinforcements.
This provides a weight saving of approximately 3.5 lbs (1.6 kg) per vehicle.

Early announcement to dealers:

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Yep, I was remembering thar early annoucement to dealer about no s/r. I'd be shocked if they add it...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

The confusion arises from the lack of consistency; the 2/09 blurb two posts up was seemingly superseded by current info on the PCNA website (configurator, comparator). And this confusion is exacerbated by dealers and PCNA reps who are seemingly indicating the sunroof IS in fact standard equipment.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The configurator has never been a reliable source of information!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from the official Porsche documentation given to dealers to help them sell the cars. I would love to post the PDF, but I'm not allowed:

Differences for USA
• Emergency luggage compartment release (Trunk Entrapment)
• Rear end with bumper horns in exterior colors
• Windscreen with grey top tint
• HomeLink® as standard
• (Note: The electric slide/tilt roof from the previous version has been omitted)
Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been told that the 2010 997 GT3 will have a mandatory sunroof, despite the original rumors. At this time it's just rumors.

The U.S. version needs a mandatory sunroof, otherwise how can Porsche achieve a 44+ lbs weight reduction for the new RS, without using exotic materials?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The U.S. version needs a mandatory sunroof, otherwise how can Porsche achieve a 44+ lbs weight reduction for the new RS, without using exotic materials?
Sorry I dont get it? Why does Porsche need to achieve a 44+ lbs reduction on the RS?

Quick Reply: 997 GT3.2 Sunroof