Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AMG gone 911 is coming back

I sold my AMG and yes I took the biggest hit I have ever taken on
a sports car but I miss my 911. Since my back is better but still a
? I think I am forced into a TT. I think thats the only mature choice.
Probably be getting serious in Aug or sept. I was going to buy an 07
but a 08 is probably now in the picture. Since I am a mature experienced
911 buyer I will be taking my time and looking for a modded one. I found
a nice GMG modded one in Hollywood but the guy wont talk to me. So since
hes a dealer in hollywood he probably thought he was going to make a killing
but that aint going to happen so off to the next one!! At least my
RC Helicopter flying is getting MUCH better ( I am getting more than one
flight off per crash) I have something to do till then. If any of you brothers find
or see a killer deal let me know I would appreciate it but no hurry. I am kind of caught in this 07-08 quandary.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,685 Likes on 2,336 Posts

cool. be patient (dont be like mooty).
you will find YOUR turbo.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chased a well setup and well driven 997 Turbo around Shannonville a few weeks back. I also had the pleasure of going for a ride in it and feel that it's a great car. They may be docile on the street, but they are very capable cars on the track when setup (lowered, aligned, etc.).
Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

for the record, is a TT really that much easier to live with over a GT3? Just curious as i have never driven either.......
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

IMO, don't beat around the bush, you are a GT Porsche guy, GT3 to be specific You loved it before, the turbo just won't excite you IMO!

Glad to hear you are coming back to the tribe and that your back feels better, good luck, and as mentioned, be patient!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1000000000
Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
for the record, is a TT really that much easier to live with over a GT3? Just curious as i have never driven either.......
You have never driven a GT3??? Don't you own an RS?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gen II Turbo (MY10) comes off Embargo Aug 7...

Gen I prices should trend downward
Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Assuming you change the TT suspension to something more fitting of the Porsche brand, the major difference in liveability is the clutch. Since the 993 generation, the turbos have come with an assisted clutch that makes the pedal effort akin to stepping on a blade of grass. It's wonderful in city driving, but takes away a lot of the feel. People would always stall my 993 Turbo the first time they drove it because it has little feel of the friction point.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OldGuy, I say get yourself a good physciatrist
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
cool. be patient (dont be like mooty).
you will find YOUR turbo.
Or Victor ...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I sold my AMG and yes I took the biggest hit I have ever taken on
a sports car but I miss my 911. Since my back is better but still a
? I think I am forced into a TT. I think thats the only mature choice.
Probably be getting serious in Aug or sept. I was going to buy an 07
but a 08 is probably now in the picture. Since I am a mature experienced
911 buyer I will be taking my time and looking for a modded one. I found
a nice GMG modded one in Hollywood but the guy wont talk to me. So since
hes a dealer in hollywood he probably thought he was going to make a killing
but that aint going to happen so off to the next one!! At least my
RC Helicopter flying is getting MUCH better ( I am getting more than one
flight off per crash) I have something to do till then. If any of you brothers find
or see a killer deal let me know I would appreciate it but no hurry. I am kind of caught in this 07-08 quandary.
Mature choice??? :-) come on.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
IMO, don't beat around the bush, you are a GT Porsche guy, GT3 to be specific You loved it before, the turbo just won't excite you IMO!

Glad to hear you are coming back to the tribe and that your back feels better, good luck, and as mentioned, be patient!
I'm more a "GT3 type" of guy, but, for me: Werks K1 > 997 GT3 (and, by a lot!)

So, yes, 997 Turbos *can* be saved. Doing the suspension ain't cheap, but that K1 setup (H&R springs with PASM; the money was spent on GT3 bits) proved that great handling a nice ride don't have to be mutually exclusive. Same car on KWs was not as good, at least as set up. I'd change the turbos, too, as I've driven 18 wheelers with less lag than the standard Turbo VTG. Either 997 GT2 turbos or old-school scrolls for me...

Oh: the polished wheels have GOT to go... maybe some of those Werks forged magnesiums?

pete
Old 06-12-2009, 01:54 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by excmag
I'm more a "GT3 type" of guy, but, for me: Werks K1 > 997 GT3 (and, by a lot!)

So, yes, 997 Turbos *can* be saved. Doing the suspension ain't cheap, but that K1 setup (H&R springs with PASM; the money was spent on GT3 bits) proved that great handling a nice ride don't have to be mutually exclusive. Same car on KWs was not as good, at least as set up. I'd change the turbos, too, as I've driven 18 wheelers with less lag than the standard Turbo VTG. Either 997 GT2 turbos or old-school scrolls for me...

Oh: the polished wheels have GOT to go... maybe some of those Werks forged magnesiums?

pete
Don't know Pete, having always the other option (GT2) as your turbo GT car, I wouldn't ever buy another turbo, ever again unless it was strictly for daily use... My ex turbo had no sunroof, I did coilovers, suspension bits, rwd conversion, had 500 RWHp and it was still lifeless in comparison to a stock GT2 (we are talking about 996 variants)

You are saying you also liked H+R springs on a stock turbo damper with PASM, you the one who touted of the GT2's great suspension geometry, thought you knew cream of the crop LOL jk

My friend just got a turbo, and did the H+R springs, it is the bounciest ride ever, terrible even with PASM/sport on, terrible dampening, maybe i'm just spoiled by my Motons!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Don't know Pete, having always the other option (GT2) as your turbo GT car, I wouldn't ever buy another turbo, ever again unless it was strictly for daily use... My ex turbo had no sunroof, I did coilovers, suspension bits, rwd conversion, had 500 RWHp and it was still lifeless in comparison to a stock GT2 (we are talking about 996 variants)

You are saying you also liked H+R springs on a stock turbo damper with PASM, you the one who touted of the GT2's great suspension geometry, thought you knew cream of the crop LOL jk

My friend just got a turbo, and did the H+R springs, it is the bounciest ride ever, terrible even with PASM/sport on, terrible dampening, maybe i'm just spoiled by my Motons!
Motons will spoil you.

All I know is that, the K1 delivered to me, on "Champion" springs (pretty sure they were H&Rs, but maybe they had made a switch?) with PASM worked beautifully -- and waaaaaaaay better than the same car on KWs. And a LOT better, less jiggly than any 997 GT3 I've driven. Multiple people commented on the superb ride and excellent, sharp handling in both PASM Normal and Sport, including 996/997 GT2 owner "GT2_josh" who has also owned GT3s and a CGT.

I can see your lay of the land, having come from 996 Turbos and 996 GT2s. The 997 GT2 is a totally different beast to the 996 GT2, and a vastly superior car (stock vs. stock) as a cohesive whole. It also makes the 997 GT3 chassis tuning feel half-baked (my opinion...), which isn't so surprising if you consider who was behind it and what they were up to at the time.

I get the sense that while springs only can improve a 997 Turbo (by tricking PASM into firmer, more controlled maps and limiting effective wheel travel), the key is the other $12k (I think...) in bits Champion installed -- including their bump steer kit. It's too bad when a bunch of readers called asking for the K1 supsension package, they said they hadn't put one together. Every now and then, I'll drive a magic chassis combo. That was one of them.

pete

Quick Reply: AMG gone 911 is coming back