Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Report on PCCB to iron rotors for my GT2

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

rod, fwiw, i think you are doing it the right way.
those who dont know rod, he's on track as much, if not more than i do. that's approaching 40 days a year.

you got an level head and dont let the car outdrive you. keep it up, you will learn the car more and more. it's about fun, not how fast you can hit a wall. i hope to see you at NCRC this weekend.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 AM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mooty: Thanks for the praise although I never thought I would hear level headed. I still fall somewhat short of Mooty in terms of track days but hope to catch up. Will miss NCRC this weekend. We have a rustic cabin up in the mountains and the snow has melted enough to let us drive in and open up for the short summer season so I will not do many track days until the end of August. The mosquitoes kind of sound like a Porsche if you have enough beer for lunch.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

have fun up there.
i stayed at my friend's cabin up in gualala years back. it's very relaxing and serene, once i got used to the mosquito bites!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rodjac
cgomez: While I admire anyone who would show up at the track with a new GT2 and drive it without TC/SC I am not one of those people. I would agree with 997gt3north. At the price of the car, it's almost unreal performance and the value of my neck I wanted to start with the control aids in place. I had a lot of track days in a 996GT3 with none of the aids and only had a couple of spins at the beginning. But this is a different animal with a lot more speed approaching the turns and I may be too timid but I took some comfort from knowing there was a computer back-up. I think that Porsche was naive to assume that a beginner in a car that cost that much wouldn't rely on TC/SC and should have paid more attention to the rear brake bias and cooling. It sort reminds me of the Nissan GTR an launch control however unfair to Nissan the comparison might be. We have this wonderful option built into the car but if you use it you will void the warranty and seriously degrade some of the car parts.
I understand and respect your approach, but in the GTx cars I have no interest in Porsche devoting R&D time and any resources to develop high end or state of the art driver aids (like the Nissan GTR or Ferrari with its Manetino). It will just make our cars more expensive (heavier?) and I would still take it OFF (so no benefit to me).

I seriously don't think the GT2 needs to be driven any different than a GT3 (It even has a better suspension setup). The handling characteristics, the chassis itself would not do anything strange (or different than a GT3). Its all about the throttle.

You arrive at corners faster, so brake earlier, and have a lot more power coming out, so use less throttle. In the GT3 you might just floor it at the apex in 3rd gear and up corners; in the GT2 I would say only 5th gear (in 3rd and 4th just feather and feed in the throttle smoothly).
Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

cgomez: Now that I have driven the car on the track I don't disagree with you. I think it is actually easier to drive than my old 996 GT3. The problem was starting out and remembering all the stories about the 996 GT2 as the widow maker. It also didn't help that when getting the car prepped for my first run session several good drivers came by and said to be very careful or I was going to kill myself. So all first time 997 GT2 drivers, this is one wonderful piece of machinery that is very balanced and stable without the electronic aids (except it needs a Guards LSD)--you can even slide the rear without it coming around. Just take it easy on the gas coming out of corners.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default also not to mention

the rivers you were driving through that 2nd track day at Laguna on pseudo-cups.

I was wriggling enough in the big sedan on street tires that day, so watching you slide around was quite entertaining and I was glad to see you drive the car home intact.

There've been plenty of 6gt3's bent on that track.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 AM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

4ng crcs: That could have been some other fool in a white GT2. As I told my wife I spent most of the day sitting in my car since it is dangerous to drive in the rain with these tires.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The rotors are a wear item, not covered by warranty. Tequipment will warranty the parts for 2 yrs when you buy the whole nine yards for a retrofit, but i don't think that includes pads/rotors, just callipers and such.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 AM
YearOne
Racer

I turn TC off in my GT3 every single time I drive the car, i'd like to reverse the button so I had to push it to turn the system on not off!

Quick Reply: Report on PCCB to iron rotors for my GT2