Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Report on PCCB to iron rotors for my GT2

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
In the may Panorama Porsche has an ad which states that the discs and calipers are covered by a two year warranty. The photo in the ad is of PCCBs. How do they square this with people who have worn rotors?
easy...they said "two-year limited warranty". The limit is no track use because they know people will leave the TC/SC on and boot it, effectively riding the brakes all the time at crazy track speeds and unfortunately the brakes can't take it.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Incorrect. The "problem" with the GT2 for the regular drivers is that it has 66% more torque than the GT3, therefore a LOT easier to trigger wheelspin coming out of corners. The Pro will still modulate the throttle and keep the car at that threshold carrying the same speed (=lap times). I (and the Pros too I guess) prefer to keep TC OFF for the fun factor, as a bit of sideways drift coming out of corners doesn't slow you down (with LSD) and it is a lot more fun.
I had a Z06 with almost the same torque as the GT2, on the rear was a cheap rotor with a one piston caliper...never...NEVER had these problems! Plus I beat on it pretty hard, harder than the GT2.

On the GT2 I am very smooth on the gas and on the brakes......still get sand and grit on the wheels after lapping....computer settings are too sensitive.
I am using the stock pads.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PCCB replaced by Steel...seems that the underlying problem will remain
Old 06-14-2009, 12:35 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodjac
As posted before my PCCB rotors were toast after about 10 track days. The wear circles looked like someone took a chisel and gouged out material and parts of the rest of the surface were starting to flake off. The replacement cost was $3500 per rotor so I decided to switch to iron. I don't know if the PCCB problem was my early driving style with TC/SC kicking in, a design problem or a combination of several factors and not knowing if it would happen again dictated a lower cost option.
I found for me on my gt3 that TC eats the pads and thus the rotors very quickly.

I am always TC off on the track now. Its an amazing difference in wear rate on the rear pads/rotors without TC on.

I think TC activates some times without the light flickering....
Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also the P50 pads are the "track" pads for PCCB but they are a LOT harder on the rotors. Contrary to steels', the PCCB OEM pads work fine at the track. They do wear relatively fast (4 - 2 hour track days for the fronts?) but are a lot easier on the rotors.
That is interesting. Why are the thicker track pads harder on the rotors? I thought it was made of the same material, just more of it to absorb more heat.
I guess that was wrong?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:18 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
That is interesting. Why are the thicker track pads harder on the rotors? I thought it was made of the same material, just more of it to absorb more heat.
I guess that was wrong?

They are not just thicker. It's different material as well. Hence, the lack of cold stopping power.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:45 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
I guess that was wrong?
Rears are the same compound but thicker. Fronts are different compound and wear slower than OEM but will make your rotors last less.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rears are the same compound but thicker. Fronts are different compound and wear slower than OEM but will make your rotors last less.
This is not correct - I'm on my 3rd set of P50 "green" pads. The rears are by visual (looking at them as I type) identical front and rear and both are substantially different in appearance than the stock pads in material and thickness

Your statement 'may' have been true for the 996 version of the pads but the 997 'greens' are different

I have concluded that even 997gt3 TC while ON will fire without the light appearing all the time - I learned my lesson

That said, the rears do still wear slightly faster on a gt3 even with TC disabled as the cooling is slighly less optimal than the front (this is clearly acknowledged in the marketing material for the 2010gt3)

With everything I said above, I can clearly understand how even in 1 session someone new to a gt2 (but a 'good' driver) could easily destroy the rear pads as the SC and TC together masks what the car is doing

You spend 200k on a new car you take it to the track and of course you leave everything on the first 2 days until you 'learn' the car but with so much new to you you miss the fact that SC is firing as the car just seems glued to the road and it is easy to drive very very fast. At the end of the great day at the track you are in awe of the car (this is no 996gt2 widow maker). You drive home get up the next day look at the beauty in the garage - you back it out to clean it and then you notice that your rear pads are gone and the rear disks look like the space shuttle after a 2000c re-entry. Your wife isn't a widow but your car needs new rotors

Lesson learned

I wish I owned a white gt2

Paul
Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

997gt3north: That is a very good summary of what probably happened with my gt2. I am a pretty good driver(not just my own assessment) but the car has an incredible amount of torque and I was so busy the first day that I probably never saw the dash lights indication TC/SC were kicking in. I also didn't want to turn them off until I was a little comfortable with the car--rear rotors are cheaper than a new car. You pretty much got the rest of the story when I got home.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Paul Lauzon Porsche inb Montreal has a white 997 GT2 in the showroom
Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I salute you, as does should everyone on this board, for taking it to the track.

You know have irons ($4gs worth) - think of it as a 2% insurance policy with $400 of rear pads that will keep you alive

I have 100 track days under my belt and would keep SC / TC on until you have at least 20 days in that car - $2.4k is far cheaper than $200k

A gt2 is not a gt3 and everyone here knows it.

Take your time, learn the car, every track day you will start to feel the car better and in no time you 'may' want to disable it.

F1 drivers had SC last year and when you watched the incar footage you could see it firing all the time - and these were non turbo spool cars.

What Porsche did was sell you a car that is far beyond almost every single drivers abilities and gave you SC to make it work

Use SC as an insurance policy and just slowly atune your butt to pick up its workings faster

Congrats on taking it to the track as most gt2s will never see it

Paul
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I sincerely disagree with the view of taking the GT cars to the track and drive them with TC or SC on. Take the drivers aids off and slowly make progress with your speed and understanding what happens when you exceed the traction limit on acceleration.

In my view, TC and SC are an "insurance" policy for unforeseen condtions: Black ice driving at night in the winter; having your wife drive the car for an errand and avoiding her doing a full 360 coming out of that 90 degree stop light turn or highway ramp, etc...
If you are at the track, you are 100% focused in what you are doing and the main purpose is learning how to drive that car and learning its real limits. If you make slow progress with drivers aids off, it will never surprise you (specially on the awesome 997 platform). The BIG surprise will come when you are used to drive with TC and/or SC ON and you take it off and you will realize (with a bad outcome maybe) how much more power you were feeding the drivetrain from what it really could handle.

BTW (re: rear vs front pad wear), I drove 600mi in the 2 days of back to back 8min laps at the Nordschleife in a GT3 and rear pads worn at less than half the rate of fronts (without any extra variables like TC On, the physics dont lie, even in a rear heavy 911, fronts will always make a lot more work than the rears.)

http://vimeo.com/4969424

IMHO, the "problem" with rear brakes and TC is driver abuse. Just imagine if we had a button to take on and off the rev limiter. If you chose to leave it on, will you still choose to drive 95% of the time in 1st gear driving against the rev limiter b/c it can still do 50mph in that 1st gear? (IMO, People are driving their GT2s at the track "against" the TC electronic limiter with disregard of the consequences)
Old 06-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Paul Lauzon Porsche inb Montreal has a white 997 GT2 in the showroom
Bob when I was in the market I sent them a couple of emails...they never got back to me.

A white GT2 that may be available is in Ottawa...it's an 08..pm for price info.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

The choice of running with or without driver aids should not have anything to do with the car selfdistructing.
SC should be available without TC. I don't need TC...SC helps where it's needed.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

cgomez: While I admire anyone who would show up at the track with a new GT2 and drive it without TC/SC I am not one of those people. I would agree with 997gt3north. At the price of the car, it's almost unreal performance and the value of my neck I wanted to start with the control aids in place. I had a lot of track days in a 996GT3 with none of the aids and only had a couple of spins at the beginning. But this is a different animal with a lot more speed approaching the turns and I may be too timid but I took some comfort from knowing there was a computer back-up. I think that Porsche was naive to assume that a beginner in a car that cost that much wouldn't rely on TC/SC and should have paid more attention to the rear brake bias and cooling. It sort reminds me of the Nissan GTR an launch control however unfair to Nissan the comparison might be. We have this wonderful option built into the car but if you use it you will void the warranty and seriously degrade some of the car parts.

Quick Reply: Report on PCCB to iron rotors for my GT2