Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

P50 Green pads for ceramic brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P50 Green pads for ceramic brakes?

Does anyone have experience with these pads on the street. I use my GT2 for track days but drive to and from the track. The pad write-up says for track use only and the dealer refused to install them unless I picked up the car with a trailer. So, do the work if you are careful or would I basically not have any brakes on the street. I am used to RS19 and RS14 on my old GT3 and wonder if this will be much different on the street. Also, did you use the thin metal backing plates from the stock brakes with the P50. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

search function is your friend

I have many posts on this topic

The answer is no problem - use them on the street - in cold weather they need a corner to warm up

I'm on my 3rd set of P50s trackdays and daily driving and I live where it gets cold and I can do it

Don't listen to the dealer, pay a local mechanic 50$ to change the pads

The pads are 3mm thicker and just go in as is
Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes they work! I use them on the street... last couple of years,...if you look for a friction chart from Pagid you will find they work great cold!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

And now for something completely different...

You might get away with them on the street, but at Freeway speeds in an emergency situation you might be toast; and at Autobahn speeds.. you are toast! From the guy who designed the car who lectured (as in warned) me.

Use them on the street at your peril! And may you live a long life.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

997gt3north and z06 Thanks for answering my question. I thought I had done a search but now remember it was on the PCA site and not here. Getting old is no fun.

I will go up to TRG tomorrow and put in the P50 pads.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
And now for something completely different...

You might get away with them on the street, but at Freeway speeds in an emergency situation you might be toast; and at Autobahn speeds.. you are toast! From the guy who designed the car who lectured (as in warned) me.

Use them on the street at your peril! And may you live a long life.
You have two guys saying they use them daily in cold weather climates with no problems and yes we drive them on the highway...and here you come warning us that they are dangerous...without ever trying them??

The materials used in brake pads have come a long way thru the years...once apon a time this was true that race pads did not work well for daily use (cold)but times have changed.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Things to consider...on my 6GT3 I used the P50 front with the P40 rear, with the 7GT2 they are P50 front and rear...but have not been to the track with the GT2 yet...soon!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06
You have two guys saying they use them daily in cold weather climates with no problems and yes we drive them on the highway...and here you come warning us that they are dangerous...without ever trying them??

The materials used in brake pads have come a long way thru the years...once apon a time this was true that race pads did not work well for daily use (cold)but times have changed.
Pretty big assumptions there!

Do your homework.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Pretty big assumptions there!

Do your homework.
Assumptions?

You are the one selling assumptions

I will try one more time...I actually use these pads for several years now,
this is not hearsay. I heard from someone BS!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You know what, this is important and someone's life may be at risk. So I will elaborate.

Everything is a compromise, especially when street versus track considerations are in play, or vice versa.

If you drive with green pads on the street, with cold brakes (emergency stops) the stopping distances are increased.. that is just the way they work. The materials to my knowledge haven't changed much in the past few years.

Now, if you get in a wreck with "green pads" on the street and have all the liability insurance you need to cover you, your family, or others based upon the type of suits may come at you then you don't need to worry.

But if a good Attorney finds out after the fact that you used non OEM approved parts for the street.. well, rather you than me.

The old adage "ignorance is bliss" applies here; and most might get away with the particular substitution, most of the time. However, my comments related to emergency situations and since I suffer from paranoia (sometimes) then I think it is better to be aware of the potential consequences before you make a decision.

Naturally, we all try to minimize the potential consequences to suit our dispositions.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used them for 3 years on both. Porsche's disclaimer is that they are for circuit only and should be changed out in the paddock. That being said, I never had a problem in the cold and or rain. They did not stop as fast as black when cold and after washing the car they took a could application to be up to the task.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need them, I have them - ready to go. Call or e-mail me here at Rennstore -
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
If you need them, I have them - ready to go. Call or e-mail me here at Rennstore -
Since you have no hesitation in plugging your business, now make a public declaration regarding their intended uses. You may save somone's life!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have no hesitation in plugging your business, now make a public declaration regarding their intended uses. You may save somone's life!

I will be the first to say that if the car is not tracked stay with the OE pads

I also store for the most part my car over the winter - just take it out to keept it alive

If I winter drove it I would not use the pads in winter

My car is mostly a drive to the track trackday car that is why I leave them in

I also mentioned in my original posts on the subject that I wouldn't let my wife take the car out on a cold day with them as the first few stops you have to be ready

But, for summer driving they are fine - also little noise which is good

They get up to temp on the 3rd corner on the track so again you have to wait here also

All that said, on a 50 degree day in the spring on the second stop light they while cold will still stop you faster than the 5000# SUV behind you

Paul

Quick Reply: P50 Green pads for ceramic brakes?