GT3 Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts
Default GT3 Rear Seats

I am flirting with ordering a new GT3, but I pretty much have to have back seats. I know someone here (or perhaps on another forum) did a retrofit, and I recall that apart from the various otherwise available parts, some sheet metal pieces had to be welded on.

Has anyone ever tried to order a GT3 with rear seats? Will the factory do this? If so, anyone know the approximate cost?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It is possible to fit rear seats but neither the factory nor dealerships will do it. There are two brackets that need to be welded to the inside of the tyre wells that lock the backrests in place. Everything else is bolt on as the mounting points are all present (or have been in the past).

Not neccesarily legal so you'll need to check if its allowed in your part of the world. Here in Aus they will re-register the vehicle as a 4 seater if you use genuine parts and supply an engineer's certificate for the two brackets and therefore you are fully covered for insurance etc

Toyed with the idea but haven't decided if i'll do it when I buy...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

legality and insurance could be an issue, but your are a lawyer, so you are much better in figuring that out than i .

search under "cgomez" as the poster. he has seats in his 7gt2. all factory parts, you'll think it came that way!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tie your kids to the roof and forget about back seats!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search for: "Rear seats installed (pics)" posted by NSXTC here.

David did a great install on the rear seats. The entire "kit" still may be on sale.....
Old 02-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
Tie your kids to the roof and forget about back seats!
That would be terribly dangerous. The extra weight on the roof would raise the roll center of the car and upset the handling.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chardonet
Search for: "Rear seats installed (pics)" posted by NSXTC here.

David did a great install on the rear seats. The entire "kit" still may be on sale.....
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ed-pics-2.html

Interesting thread. I don't think the back-rest of the booster is sufficient (and leg room is nigh on zero.) I did this in a GT3, but used a kids shell without installing the seats (just using the seat belt anchors) and make the shell basically part of the car with zero free play (and the kids were in a four point harness.) My then six year-old could not get comfy. She now rides in the back of the 993 in the conventional seat with a three point, but I'm not sure how safe it really would be in the of a serious mishap. I only put her there for fun driving, not in traffic.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
legality and insurance could be an issue, but your are a lawyer, so you are much better in figuring that out than i .

search under "cgomez" as the poster. he has seats in his 7gt2. all factory parts, you'll think it came that way!
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...2-arrived.html

Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked into this at my local dealer, they will do it and cost was just under $7K...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRG13
I looked into this at my local dealer, they will do it and cost was just under $7K...
Which dealer -- they have to go in the Rennlist Black Ball Hall of Shame.

I'd guess there's two belts, anchors, cabin trim pieces (to let the belts out at shoulder height,) seat bottoms and tops, a handful of miscellaneous hardware all adding up to maybe $1000. Maybe. And maybe a concerted effort, full day, call it six or eight hours tops. Maybe another $1000-$1200 in labor. $2K would be healthy profit. Anyone can pull the front seats and remove the rear cabin carpet and trim inside 30 minutes. Having a matching Carrera just sitting handy by to make it easy to see where everything goes would make it a no-brainer. That's all easy.

The question mark would be the comment on having the seat backs fold down and have the latching mechanism when they're in the upright position. I find it hard to believe the tub is missing the production line step to have the necessary hardware welded in place. Anything's possible. Given some early RS's arrived with weld plates for the cage, there's clearly the opportunity for things to change before/after paint. I've never put the seat backs in, so I don't know. And the GT2 link in this thread seems to have some custom seat backs (which I think would be just fine unless you really want the shelf functionality ... for something?)
Old 02-01-2009, 04:17 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I think I'll go for the cheaper solution.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:14 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CGT-

Your way off on your parts $ estimate, it was much higher than that...and yes there was some welding involved. Not sure if I still have the e-mail with parts list, but it came to over $4K just for parts. A guy I track with here in Texas had his 996 GT3 done by a dealer in Houston and his total bill came to $5,300.

-Dan
Old 02-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRG13
CGT-

Your way off on your parts $ estimate, it was much higher than that...and yes there was some welding involved. Not sure if I still have the e-mail with parts list, but it came to over $4K just for parts. A guy I track with here in Texas had his 996 GT3 done by a dealer in Houston and his total bill came to $5,300.

-Dan
Given that I've bought most of those parts (except for the seat back cushions ... maybe they're $2K each ... ?) I'm pretty sure I'm in the ball park.

If someone wants to post the parts list, we can check unit prices. I'm curious to see the quote from your unscrupulous dealer. That you have a friend who allegedly got gouged at an unscrupulous dealer is beside the point.

If there were welding "involved" I'd go another route -- as I did -- and not bother with the superfluous seat back cushions.

ps. "Your" is possessive as in "Your mistake" and "You're" is the contraction of "You are" as in "You're tipping your hand."
Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That would be terribly dangerous. The extra weight on the roof would raise the roll center of the car and upset the handling.

Quick Reply: GT3 Rear Seats