Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

what do you think of this replacement for my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Paul I drove the new S and fell in love. I ordered one (4S with snows!) as my DD with PDK. Get the sport chrono, the sport suspension with LSD - a must. I would forget the PCCB even the latest generation wear out on track and on the street they do nothing for you.

A word of caution about the GT2 seats, I did NOT order them because while they fold forward, you cannot adjust the backrest for rake. They have two positions only, i.e., folded or not. With your back problem, you better check this out carefully. No height adjustment either so if your wife drives it she better be tall enough. If you are tall - beware of helmet room! One last thing, the high side bolsters - although not as high as the GT3 single piece buckets do make getting out a bit more of a chore - I am thinking back issues again.

The 997S is very fast, close to a 996 GT3 although the extra 180 lbs can be felt. OTOH the PDK is wonderful - a pleasure in traffic and faster shifting than any regular stick.

Best,
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I sat in the new GT2 seats and love them, more comfortable than the 997 GT3 carbon seats. I would not be able to resist ordering them if I were buying a new Porsche, even just for the street. I have been contemplating getting a base C4 for a DD, but the GTR keeps entering my mind.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Paul I drove the new S and fell in love. I ordered one (4S with snows!) as my DD with PDK. Get the sport chrono, the sport suspension with LSD - a must. I would forget the PCCB even the latest generation wear out on track and on the street they do nothing for you.
OG - Bob makes some good points, but I think your back would be happier with the Standard (non-Sport) PASM with LSD. LSD comes included with Sport PASM, but you can also order LSD separately as an option with the regular/softer PASM (costs the same $950 either way).
Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I had a 2007 C2S, traded it in for a 2007 CPO GT3, and am now trading that for a 2009 C2S with the following equip: Sport heated seats, Sport PASM (LSD), Fire Extinguisher, Carpet Mats, Black Dials, and No Badge. Total MSRP is $90,390, total purchase price $81,000 (10.3% discount). Did not like the GT3 bucket seats - no adjustment whatsoever is possible and my helmet had my head pointing at the dials instead of out the window. If the GT2 buckets allowed at least some adjustment in seat back angle (like the pump on the sport seats), I would have gone with them.

The 2009 C2S is VERY fast, and I found the ride of the new suspension to be right between the old 997S and the GT3. On "sport", it felt more like the GT3 suspension on normal.

I never understood the attraction of PCCB... Everyone I know that got them for track duty ended up switching over to steel rotors and then had all sorts of pad options. And for the street, steel brakes are more than enough and don't have the negative issues in the wet that PCCB has. $8k for what?

For $81,000, I've got a very sport oriented wickedly quick "sleeper" that I can drive every day of the week and also enjoy at the track. Really is a great value.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Wait, you have a bad back and your considering a brand new C2 with GT2 seats
Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Well, I had a 2007 C2S, traded it in for a 2007 CPO GT3, and am now trading that for a 2009 C2S with the following equip: Sport heated seats, Sport PASM (LSD), Fire Extinguisher, Carpet Mats, Black Dials, and No Badge. Total MSRP is $90,390, total purchase price $81,000 (10.3% discount).
Sounds like a very nice Spec and deal, Ron! Are you sure you don't want to add Sport Chrono. In Sport mode on the C2S it allows for much easier heel/toe downshifting and raises the threshold of PSM intervention. That way you can keep PSM on for the track and not have it spoil any fun.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:08 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

SC is one of those funny options. Porsche marketing tries to get people to think it's a sporty / performance oriented option. But it's really the opposite. Any track guy I know considers it useless and worse than stock in a manual normally aspirated 997 (I qualify that because in the PDK and Auto Turbo I understand SC may actually add something). In the C2S, the throttle map is too twitchy, actually making for worse heel / toe downshifts. For track use, we want smooth and linear. Guys I run with on the track that got SC, end up leaving it in non-sport after fiddling with it for a while. As to the PSM threshold, drive the car correctly and you can leave it on, off, whatever. PSM never comes into play unless you are 15 degrees or more in Yaw, which you will never see unless you are losing it.

I did, however, go with Softronic, which slightly adjusts the throttle map, while also tweaking the performance parameters of the engine management.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
SC is one of those funny options. Porsche marketing tries to get people to think it's a sporty / performance oriented option. But it's really the opposite. Any track guy I know considers it useless and worse than stock in a manual normally aspirated 997 (I qualify that because in the PDK and Auto Turbo I understand SC may actually add something). In the C2S, the throttle map is too twitchy, actually making for worse heel / toe downshifts. For track use, we want smooth and linear.
I've driven a Cayman S without SC and I found the electronic throttle was virtually dead while the brake pedal was depressed - made heel/toe very unpleasant. When I tried a Cayman S with SC in Sport mode, it returned sensitivity to the throttle so I could heel/toe.

Maybe it's beacuse I'm used to a very sensitive throttle on my car (Mechanical Fuel Injection and real 73RSR flywheel which has very little inertia).
Old 01-10-2009, 05:15 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I am disappointed that you are not considering the FL GT3 for my own personal reasons . However, I do not think you will be disappointed in the 09 or later S. It is very quick in both PDK and manual configs - I have spent pretty good amt of seat time in each. Unless you are getting back to the track, and wringing it all out when there, you prob will not miss anything by going for the S; and it may feel somewhat similar to your 'old' ride power-wise.

That said, whats the rush? - we should know about the FL GT3 config soon and it may (or may not) be very tempting AND at that time you'll know for sure as it will be a fully informed decision. BTW, I am going thru the same mental progression.

Finally, be careful waiting too long on the economic down turn as when it turns it will be quick. My .02 cents (soon to be inflated to nothing).

Last edited by cello; 01-10-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I have a feeling it's more likely that the Cayman and 997 are set up differently. I have to say that my 997S was wicked sweet to heel / toe - even more so than my GT3...

I agree with the above... Right now is an extraordinary buying opportunity for just about anything (cars, homes, etc.). I was able to pick up a 2005 CPO Boxster S in pristine condition for $31k including the $2k of CPO service and warranty extension. About 6 months ago that same car was probably trading at around $40k and in 6 months might be back there. Same with discounts on new cars. 10.3% off a new low option car? Amazing...
Old 01-10-2009, 05:52 PM
MFC996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OG I would do it. I'm currently in a C63 as well from a 997.1 and am looking to get back to an '09 C2S. I took a test drive with Chris up at PNO last week and the PDK/Sport Plus is awesome, significantly faster than my '06 C2S. It sold me over the manual. Go for it man.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get it, forget the gt2 seats, you'll regret it. PCCBs are a waste of money on a street car.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I love the GT2 seats, but I still think the Sport Adaptives are even better
Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Wait, you have a bad back and your considering a brand new C2 with GT2 seats
i have a very bad back, but probably not as bad as old guy. EVERY seat i ever sat in, hurts my back and makes my right leg numb after 20 min. only the recaro racing buckets, 7gt3, 6gt3 and gt2 seats dont do that. i dont know why.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
MFC996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i have a very bad back, but probably not as bad as old guy. EVERY seat i ever sat in, hurts my back and makes my right leg numb after 20 min. only the recaro racing buckets, 7gt3, 6gt3 and gt2 seats dont do that. i dont know why.
The sport buckets elevate your lower legs relative to your pelvis and lumbar spine. This takes some pressure off the lower back and your pelvis doesn't move around as much.

Quick Reply: what do you think of this replacement for my GT3