Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Will the upcoming gt3 and rs sell at or over MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the upcoming gt3 and rs sell at or over MSRP?

How do you think the upcoming gt3 and gt3 rs will sell in this economy? A local dealer is accepting deposits to sell at MSRP. I think if it has the right motor (read true dry sump) they should sell at MSRP even in these financially distressed times.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Crystal Ball says I don't know...
It's a supply/demand issue

Hmmmm where will the economy be?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i put deposit on my gt3 during the peak of the economic bubble and it was for list price. any dealer that thinks these cars will sell over list during theses horrible times is totally nuts. look for them to sit on dealer lots just like ferraris, lambos, etc. if you have the cash, look to deal heavily
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just like many other luxury/toys, it will be negotiable. I think it will be MSRP or less. I can think of many that won't be buying this time around:

a) lost their play money in the market
b) mortgage brokers
c) homeowners that doesn't have the equity anymore
d) afraid of spending big money in times like these
e) afraid of the new engine reliability, especially those that track theirs
Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
Just like many other luxury/toys, it will be negotiable. I think it will be MSRP or less. I can think of many that won't be buying this time around:

a) lost their play money in the market
b) mortgage brokers
c) homeowners that doesn't have the equity anymore
d) afraid of spending big money in times like these
e) afraid of the new engine reliability, especially those that track theirs
In the very beginning of the 997.2 GT3/RS release I expect the dealers to do about the same as with the current cars. The RS will be MSRP to MSRP + $30K (or more). Aren't most current RS's still over MSRP from dealers, and they are used on top of that? The GT3's should go for MSRP with a few marked up to maybe $10K over MSRP. Can you get one below MSRP? Of course, anything is possible. Depends on the dealers greed factor, your relationship with the dealer, and your negotiating skills.........oh, and supply and demand. If they are sitting on them, then you will most certainly get the car below MSRP.

But I also expect allocations (US build numbers) to be less this time around, and that may help even things out.

I had a deposit for the #1 spot at a dealership and I pulled it partially because of d and e. It was only $1K, which I do not need, but I did not want to be tempted just because it is new. But really, I do not think it will be a major change over the current GT3's (can they get much better?). I also expect the 997.2 versions to be a bit heavier due to some of the standard options such as bi-xenons on all 997's, and that is moving in the wrong direction for me. Every iteration they get a little heavier.

BMW is even worse. I loved my E36 M3, and I almost bought an E46; but the current one pisses me off just thinking about its weight. The next gen M3 should be hitting the 2 ton plus mark if the current trend continues, but I am sure they will make up for it with a V-10! And for the 998, a V8 should take care of the additional pounds.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Greed factor in Houston is extremely high even in turbulent times, they wouldn't even talk to me about MSRP (whatever it is) on a 2012, much less a 2010 while one dealer even said they had no list and that I would be the first person but there was no way they would sell it at MSRP, most likely 20 over or whatever the market would be at the time and on top of that I would most likely get bumped from 1st if a better customer came along because I had only purchased two Porsches in the past two years from them including my 800 mile old used gt3 for 125k in may. My next porsche will most likely be purchased from some backwoods dealer that is happier to do business with me.

Greed factor also carries over to the Nissan GT-R, still selling over list price (all the way up to 90k) anywhere around me for a car that will probably be 40k on the used market next year.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

anybody who pays over sticker for one of the new cars is plain retarded........why would you?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 AM
MagicMtnDan
Intermediate

I'm sure this is buried in a thread somewhere but I have to ask: When is the next RS due in dealerships?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
I'm sure this is buried in a thread somewhere but I have to ask: When is the next RS due in dealerships?

It isn't. No official word whether they will actually make an RS or import to the US if they do.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What odds would I get that Porsche actually cancels it's planned production of the "new" GT3/RS???

This global economy may just get a lot worse over the next couple of years...
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Back when the 997 GT3 and RS were in their testing phases, multiple 'spy' shots of each were taken and posted on the web. As far as the Mk 2 version, I have yet to see a photo of a widebody car doing testing. So, I think a new GT3 is very likely, but not a new RS.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

if you need a list of dealers to go through for MSRP and not over - there was a thread a while back or PM me. I have had some good experiences with buying cars from out of state.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I'm sure *if* Porsche produces it (my hunch is they will) the numbers that actually reach state-side will be small enough that -this time around- some small dealers whom recieved one to sell last time won't be in business to even offer them. - It will be, like stated before; supply and demand.

To think that as many cars are coming state-side as this past go-around; would be a miscalculation.

Porsche isn't stupid. much. LOL
Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I sold my Nissan GTR in August for 15K over MSRP.
I think paying over MSRP is unacceptable, that is why I sold the Nissan and ordered the next RS at MSRP if and when it ever arrives.

I paid under MSRP for my GT3 (I can accept slow depreciation.) instead of paying over MSRP for an RS. Maybe I should have waited a little longer.

In this economy, I might sell it if someone offers me over MSRP for the '10RS, if I do not love the car as much as the currect GT3 (It would have to be heavier and the wrong engine.) I can't imagine how they improve the current car, but I am sure I will love it.

I doubt the new RS will be going over MSRP anywhere, so it seems I will be stuck trading in the GT3.

Tragic ;-)
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dealer in Seattle never goes above MSRP for new cars.

Quick Reply: Will the upcoming gt3 and rs sell at or over MSRP?