Thank TPMS...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank TPMS...

Guys, don't disable your TPMS...

Although it's sometimes a nuisance, don't disable your TPMS. It saved me from perhaps something that could have been quite disastrous.

Early this morning I'm driving to the track (NJMP) for a two day DE. On the highway my TPMS flashes Red with a message that my LF tire is flat. I pull over and manually check the tire pressure and it's down to 17 lbs from 30 when I started my journey 15 minutes earlier. Within a couple of mins the pressure dropped to 4 lbs. To make a long story short the LF had a big nail embedded that deflated the tire. The RR also had a big embedded nail but no deflation. I count my blessings that it happened on a highway in the wee hours without any traffic and at moderate speed. Could have been a worse outcome on the track a couple of hours later.

Lesson learnt. Keep the TPMS on all the time.

Cheers.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 AM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, i agree with you. i hit a curb a few weeks ago in the rain. at first, i didnt think anything of it as i didnt hit the curb that hard. worse case, i thought i jut curb rashed my wheel. then 10sec after hitting the curb, the tpms light came on telling me i had 30lbs ---> 10lbs -- 0lbs. at 10lbs, i immediately pulled off the freeway. low and behold, my tire was completely flat and i had a slice on my side wall. im glad i pulled over when i did.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:06 AM
jbryan
Advanced

Question for you guys. How did you get it fixed...with the can of goo or what. Did the car have to be towed/loaded up to get it to the place where it was fixed or what? This is something I have always worried about with my GT3 and the lack of a spare. Interested in your solution(s). Thanks.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:51 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BC...same here...light came on and I watched the numbers go down rapidly and lucky for me I was about to approach the last exit for quite a while

tried the goo.....useless in my case as an inner aspect was corded and went through....would need gallons of goo to fix that...was able to limp home and not hurt my rim but the tire was a goner....needed two rears...got 17K out of them with just hiway miles
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbryan
Question for you guys. How did you get it fixed...with the can of goo or what. Did the car have to be towed/loaded up to get it to the place where it was fixed or what? This is something I have always worried about with my GT3 and the lack of a spare. Interested in your solution(s). Thanks.
Goo is useless. if I hadn't been close to home either the car would have to be towed or I would have had to wake up all friends to send help. In this instance I called home, woke up the wife and had her bring me a spare from the garage + floor jack. She wasn't too happy about it.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Always carry a plug kit with you, very easy to use and safe. 5$ at costco.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a similar experience driving from AZ to southern UT.

Probably occured driving through Las Vegas where I picked up a screw in the tread of the LR tire. It was hard to discern a difference in ride/handling due to heavy rain at the time.

TPMS alert came on about 60 miles from destination (26psi). I was able to add air twice to get to destination then put LR of car on a jack until I could get the tire repaired the next day.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
BC...same here...light came on and I watched the numbers go down rapidly and lucky for me I was about to approach the last exit for quite a while

tried the goo.....useless in my case as an inner aspect was corded and went through....would need gallons of goo to fix that...was able to limp home and not hurt my rim but the tire was a goner....needed two rears...got 17K out of them with just hiway miles

17K?????
Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
17K?????
does that ^^ indicate "good or bad" mileage?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
does that ^^ indicate "good or bad" mileage?
Dude, I have been averaging just over 3K per set of rears the first 26,000 miles on my 3!!! With no track miles and two alignments.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Dude, I have been averaging just over 3K per set of rears the first 26,000 miles on my 3!!! With no track miles and two alignments.
yeah....feelin' that....we ain't got no canyons to carve our tires on over here...just relatively straight and boring roads for the most part locally
Old 11-03-2008, 02:28 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Originally Posted by jbryan
in my case, my front tire was not repairable. i tore the sidewall wide open. lucky for me, my buddy was also there with his gt3. he and my other friends went directly to my home (25miles away) and removed his front wheel. they returned and i used his wheel as my spare to drive back home. the wheel was repaired (slight curb rash) at Rite Wheel and i purchased 2 new tires from Wheel Works it was a $800 curb rash

Quick Reply: Thank TPMS...