Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Just drove my First C-6 Corvette OH MY

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
All this makes me really appreciate my rock solid 1996tt with 116K miles!
Ditto my Ruf at 125+k miles.

CP
Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check Car&Driver this month. They tested the C6 Z51, Z06 and ZR-1 together. They also tested a Katech prepared Z06 with Michelin PSC and full coil-overs (instead of leaf springs).

The ZR-1 crushed them all, while being civilized. The real deal was the C6 Z51, performance for the money. They did not like the Z06 at all.

The four cars have the same crappy interior.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
joeTurbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I had a young Engineer who works for me over to watch the TU-Texas Tech game and he has a 06 C6 Corvette with 12,000 miles on it. Oh Geesh.
We went for a drive in his vette and the AMG.
First words that came to mind was 77 Camaro. I was embarrased for him.
Bucket O Bolts. (I call his car Bob) but man o man. I had toyed with the thought
of buying a Z06 at some point after my back gets fixed. But at this point and I
will need more samples- I cant see any way that a Z06 is a replacment even
for a few days, hours, or minutes for a GT3. I took him for a drive in the AMG afterward and he was speechless with the power and the quality. But the AMG, after driving the Corvette and I am reminded this WASNT a Z06, seemed like ... I dont know..... a .... MERCEDES!!!! If the Z06 is close to a C6 in fit and finish and quality then I really dont have anything to think about on that front. On to what ever else is on my list.
I had to make a sacrifice to sell my GT3, because my back, with the AMG, but I would have been HUGELY dissappointed and would have given up on the car world if that would have been my replacement on the GT3!!! The AMG is a very small incremental step down from the GT3. THAT corvette would have been stepping off a two story building. Extremely dissappointed to say the least.
Not sure you are giving the Vette proper dues for what it is. ie. a Vette! Amazing value, solid (even if it does not feel solid), durable, (like a Porsche), American, and yes, it has crappy seats.

I have a 2006 Z06, a 2007 GT3 (which replaced a 996 TT), an E63 (which replaced a E55), and while all are great cars, each has its own special attributes. Oh, and I just got a GT-R.

The Z06 is by far the strongest, fastest and scariest of the bunch. (Breaking the rear tires loose at 100 mph will do that). It has also been the most reliable, even after 30+ track sessions, where by the way, it is clearly faster than the GT3, more entertaining, but definitely sloppier, and yes those crappy seats do make you slide around at the track.

When I had to get rid of one of my cars to get them all to fit in the garage, I sold the Porsche TT, but kept the Z06 - some indication of how I rated those cars when push came to shove.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I rented one for a week to get it out of my system. That was really enough... happy now that I did not buy one to replace the 996TT... but I had to have one even if it was for a week...
Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

I had several C6 Corvettes ( the only corvettes I have ever had) At first I thought the long clutch throw was the issue making my bad back worse, but it was not, it was the seat. The 2008 Z 51 was very nice, well built, adaquate handling and good power BUT the seats just about made me scream as they offered no support for my lower back and thighs. Worst part is that with the GM problems I don't think there is the push to improve the seats. or really make any upgrades to the corvette for at least several years. The sport seats in my Cayman S and my wife's Cayenne GTS are great on my back and that is only part of why I keep coming back to Porsche
Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Corvette seats? Has anyone sat on a stock 996 or 997 seat? It is funny how corvette comparisons always find there way onto Porsche forums. Why do people compare a 50K to a 100K car? By all performance measures a stock 2008 Z51 C6 will hand a strong beating to a 2008 C2S for half the price. But will there be some trade offs in terms of interior and finish? I hope so for half the price. Otherwise Porsche has a serious problem on their hands. I have driven many corvettes and have been impressed by their performance. I never really thought of them as being the standard for interior workmanship.

A C63? Try a new CTS-V (as I have) and you will re-think your position. Priced less than a C63 same room as an E63. With first rate build quality and amazing performance.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
A C63? Try a new CTS-V (as I have) and you will re-think your position. Priced less than a C63 same room as an E63. With first rate build quality and amazing performance.
I drove the new CTS... not the CTS-V mind you... anyway, I was very impress with that car. And it was only the 6cyl direct injection model. That interior was beautiful. Just about everything was excellent. First time I ever considered a Cadillac having a chance for a space in the garage. That interior and with the Corvette engine must be one nice package...
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes the 997 seats are not as good as the seats in my AMG. HOWEVER after driving that C6
I know EXACTLY what the Cadillac is going to be like in 2 years. That GMC corvette gave me a roadmap to what the GMC blue hair is going to be like in 2 years. The first rate build quality doesnt equal finish
quality. I am not a Forced induction guy. The 6.3 liter Normally aspirated motor is just magic
and its a detuned 550hp motor not a forced induction experiment. A forced induction motor is not what I want in my Daily. Cadillac and GMC is not exactly the world experts in forced induction. Gaurantee that motor is not going to last as long as they hope. While my detuned 460hp normally aspirated sport sedan from a company that has a "HISTORY" of making fast sports sedans including racing them in the DTM class in europe, will keep ticking along. You will be hard pressed to find a Cadillac anywhere other than the drag strip.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the 2005 ZO6 is actually quite good.... the 2001 z06 was crappy in retrospect.

all vettes should look and have the power of the Z06 model..... but they dont which is too bad

that being said, i would never buy one mind you.....

Even when people say that a prepped z06 will take a gt3 on a track and for a lot less money...... i still wouldnt bother with one....
There is no such car as a 2005 Z06. 2004 is old bodystyle, 2006 is new bodystyle...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Yes the 997 seats are not as good as the seats in my AMG. HOWEVER after driving that C6
I know EXACTLY what the Cadillac is going to be like in 2 years. That GMC corvette gave me a roadmap to what the GMC blue hair is going to be like in 2 years. The first rate build quality doesnt equal finish
quality. I am not a Forced induction guy. The 6.3 liter Normally aspirated motor is just magic
and its a detuned 550hp motor not a forced induction experiment. A forced induction motor is not what I want in my Daily. Cadillac and GMC is not exactly the world experts in forced induction. Gaurantee that motor is not going to last as long as they hope. While my detuned 460hp normally aspirated sport sedan from a company that has a "HISTORY" of making fast sports sedans including racing them in the DTM class in europe, will keep ticking along. You will be hard pressed to find a Cadillac anywhere other than the drag strip.
I was just impressed with the car. I would have never thought about even test driving a Cadillac. It was a first for me, and was surprised to see how good it looked and felt. Can speak to how well it will hold long term.

Also had the appointment for driving the C63 as part of a marketing effort from Mercedes, but at the end I could not make it due to family issues. I did stop later to look at it and at least sit in it. Very nice. It did seem smaller than the M3 (interior wise). Wish I could have driven the car.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

. While my detuned 460hp normally aspirated sport sedan from a company that has a "HISTORY" of making fast sports sedans including racing them in the DTM class in europe, will keep ticking along. You will be hard pressed to find a Cadillac anywhere other than the drag strip.
In order for them to get BIG horsepower out of their cars they take dinosaur single cam engines with slush box transmissions and put some sort of forced induction on them. By no means are they the standard for modern drivetrains. Quite the contrary. Fast is a relative term. I havent seen any entries from Mercedes in recent times that can even compete at the 'Ring' with GM's product.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default vette

Originally Posted by lowside67
There is no such car as a 2005 Z06. 2004 is old bodystyle, 2006 is new bodystyle...

i believe D.O.M is 2005, but yes, titled as 2006. my bad...

2005 was first year of new body style C6 of base corvette... im refering to C6 as you get the point......
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Y65 are you 12? That might have been the most ignorant post I have seen in years.

Y65 said:
In order for them to get BIG horsepower out of their cars they take dinosaur single cam engines with slush box transmissions and put some sort of forced induction on them. By no means are they the standard for modern drivetrains. Quite the contrary. Fast is a relative term. I havent seen any entries from Mercedes in recent times that can even compete at the 'Ring' with GM's product.
the 6.3 liter is NORMALLY ASPIRATED meaning NO forced induction. The new 6.3 is the most modern motor in AMGs fleet
TWIN cam FOUR valves per cylinder VARIABLE timing. I have a friend who has a Ferrari 599 and a 09 AMG C63 and he says the NEW AMG 7 SpeedShift with blips on downshifts is the best paddle shift tranny in his garage. But you wouldnt know that since you have never driven one. Any thing Cadillac drove down a Ring was the Eldorado at the Retirement Ring in Palm Springs.
Have you ever seen a Formula One race (Formula is not always something you mix in a bottle in a trailer park)
Guess what the Safety car is? Do you know what DTM racing is in Europe?
See you at the NASCAR track.

Really man you need to read up on automotive engineering so you dont embarrass yourself like that.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Any thing Cadillac drove down a Ring was the Eldorado at the Retirement Ring in Palm Springs.

thats the best thing i have heard all day

by the way, DTM kicks ***! those benz's are awesome!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
iMD
6th Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnc5r3-T1vY

CTS V ring time. i hate vette but the V is a GM beauty.

Quick Reply: Just drove my First C-6 Corvette OH MY