Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's my RS worth?? not selling; just curious..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Seriously, you gotta heed allegretto's advice here, esp in NYS, decrees always go against the husband.
The vegas idea is very smart, also be sure and erase the hard drive on your computer, as all this could be discovered at trail.
They will never let you keep your toys and compensate in other ways...they will take your toys, and your money, it's magical thinking to believe otherwise. Heed my friends true NYS story, they are out to clean you out of everything you have, nothing less. They usually aim at 75% of your net worth if kids are involved, no joke.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
No, mods af any type generally reduce the value of a car.
Agree with allegretto, dump it. A friend of mine just went thru a messy/nasty divorce. Completely ruined him financially. He was a GYN lap surgeon with a boutique endometriosis practice on the upper east side($$$). Had a penthouse apt in battery park and a 3M house in the hamptons, two great kids(5,6 yo), ~40. She cheats on him with the freakin pool boy, they get divorced, she gets the apt/hamptons estate, 50% of his income, child support of 12k/mo, she auctioned his 04 c4s(his pride and joy) to the lowest bidder, something like 12k purely out of spite. He's now living in a dumpy 1BR in brooklyn basically miserable, taking public transportation, barely paying the CS, waiting to die.
Just sell the car(s) and call it a day, make it up to your son in some other way, you won't like what they do to you or your property, trust me.
I don't understand why any 40-something person would be married without a pre-nup or be stupid enough to get drawn into such a one-sided settlement in a no fault state.

It seems to be a pastime for people to recount exaggerated war stories of bad divorces -- not to say there is such a thing as a good settlement of a divorce -- but it seems that people take the opportunity to exaggerate their success and their income with the excuse that it's all gone now.

As for the current market value of the AC-delete RS, I'd say it's one of the "collector" colours and specifications, but the miles are too high for collector market appeal. I'd say AC delete is something that could work in cooler climes, but I've tried it in a white 997 GT3 and it doesn't work in northern California, especially driving to/fro the track on 80+ degree days.

Trying to suggest a number is just a guess. I'd say Mooty pretty much has the best handle on the market since it's one of his OCD habits ... : ) ... and I think any well-presented GT3 or RS has a year or more of retained value until we see the next GT3, then they're on the slope.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
leif, my man

i don't know about your local laws, but i think shark-ese (the language of "domestic attorneys") is universal.

liquidate your toys! the attorneys will portray them as part of your pathology and neglect. give the money to someone you trust to hold for you and go to Vegas and say you just spent it. i am not kidding.

if you ask an attorney they will tell you not to do that, but that's because they want you to keep it for fees.

from your list it appears you have assets. that means it will be years till your divorce is final. there are way too many fees to bill on both sides. your atty and her's will give each other the high-sign and the meter will run like a Spokane buzzsaw on both sides.

in the end the judge's decision will be capricious and arbitrary and AGAINST YOU. liquidate all you can before the counting begins...REALLY!

you have my best wishes and sympathy, but listen up here...don't let your anger cloud your judgement. they're counting on it that you will. Be SMART not angry.
Now that is some of the best divorce advice I've heard in a while! Takes second only to "Never get married!"
Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't understand why any 40-something person would be married without a pre-nup or be stupid enough to get drawn into such a one-sided settlement in a no fault state.

It seems to be a pastime for people to recount exaggerated war stories of bad divorces -- not to say there is such a thing as a good settlement of a divorce -- but it seems that people take the opportunity to exaggerate their success and their income with the excuse that it's all gone now.

As for the current market value of the AC-delete RS, I'd say it's one of the "collector" colours and specifications, but the miles are too high for collector market appeal. I'd say AC delete is something that could work in cooler climes, but I've tried it in a white 997 GT3 and it doesn't work in northern California, especially driving to/fro the track on 80+ degree days.

Trying to suggest a number is just a guess. I'd say Mooty pretty much has the best handle on the market since it's one of his OCD habits ... : ) ... and I think any well-presented GT3 or RS has a year or more of retained value until we see the next GT3, then they're on the slope.
um, either you've never been through it, or you live in a rare state.

allow me to help you understand;

1) ante-nuptial agreements in most states are worth little more than the paper they are drawn upon. a judge can "pierce" the agreement any time they feel it "unfair". criteria of "unfairness" can be rather vague. as an aside, if the judge is a woman, you're humped, BIG TIME!

2) many of US speak from experience, not speculation. my income was not the largest or the smallest here, but it did serve as a basis for massive transfers of wealth to someone who pee-ed it away since they had no idea what to do with it besides spend it for themselves and still leave little for my children. it happens all the time

3) i'm not exaggerating, simply providing advice based upon real-world experience. obviously my experience is not universal or all-encompassing. just expensive.

4) i think while an AC-delete may tickle some here, it's a loser in the bigger market, any bigger market. but a guy has to get lucky sometime.

i have no idea of your life's situation. but i have some idea what leif is about to experience.

they are counting on him to be angry and macho, and therefore an easy mark. i'm trying to help him be smart. you're free to give your advice too after all...
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

um, either you've never been through it, or you live in a rare state.

allow me to help you understand;

1) ante-nuptial agreements in most states are worth little more than the paper they are drawn upon. a judge can "pierce" the agreement any time they feel it "unfair". criteria of "unfairness" can be rather vague. as an aside, if the judge is a woman, you're humped, BIG TIME!

2) many of US speak from experience, not speculation. my income was not the largest or the smallest here, but it did serve as a basis for massive transfers of wealth to someone who pee-ed it away since they had no idea what to do with it besides spend it for themselves and still leave little for my children. it happens all the time

3) i'm not exaggerating, simply providing advice based upon real-world experience. obviously my experience is not universal or all-encompassing. just expensive.

4) i think while an AC-delete may tickle some here, it's a loser in the bigger market, any bigger market. but a guy has to get lucky sometime.

i have no idea of your life's situation. but i have some idea what leif is about to experience.

they are counting on him to be angry and macho, and therefore an easy mark. i'm trying to help him be smart. you're free to give your advice too after all...
I have not been divorced and I don't see it in the tea leaves. I'm not trying to give advice. I have seen two friends go through it, one is still loaded (over $1M annual income) and the other middle class who has paid the price of no pre-nup by, as mentioned, starting out with a "try to be civil and fair" only to find the other party had been stacking the deck for a long time prior to dropping the D-bomb.

In California at least, a pre-nup is junk unless written with aforethought to it being useful in the event. With independent legal representation to each individual and an independent third party review, the agreement can and does work. It's also not out of the question to have an impartial review and update from time to time. I did this when my wife had a windfall income and we wanted to be fair about it and "take it off the table" so to speak -- to effectively defuse it as a source of compromises which either one of us might come to regret. Like a lot of necessary tasks, it was not easy, it was uncomfortable and it left us feeling uneasy for a time but ultimately relieved to have thought through the matter and put a tidy bow on it so we could set it aside and not have it as something that we'd worry about every time there was some upset to the game plan. We've done this each time we bought a house or had a child, etc. It's not as bizarre as it sounds at first. It does sound a bit "perfect world" and I'm not saying I live an idyllic life.

Philosophically, I'd classify marriage as one of the most irrational, indulgent and patently stupid things we do. As they say, it's insane to repeat a failed action and expect different results, yet we as a society and as individuals continue to uphold the 50:50 chance of a not entirely insufferable life as a worthwhile endeavor.

I keep hearing the monotonous whining of same-sex couples demanding their "right" to marriage -- to which I counsel "be careful what you wish."
Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never understood the expression, "insanity is repeating a failed action and expecting different results". i consider it "stupidity"!

otherwise we agree.

one of the problems with a >$1M/yr income in a divorce is the incessant post-review and adjustment of support, at least in my state.

pretty amazing that you and your wife keep re-visiting the ante-nup. you and she (i'm assuming a "traditional" marriage) must have a great relationship! good for you!

don't get me started about same-sex legalities...
Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"It seems to be a pastime for people to recount exaggerated war stories of bad divorces -- not to say there is such a thing as a good settlement of a divorce -- but it seems that people take the opportunity to exaggerate their success and their income with the excuse that it's all gone now."

Oh, I wish I was exagerrating!
FYI, in NYS pre-nups are often tossed as the length of mairrage and 'fortune' increases. One would have to vigilant, as you have, and constantly update the PN.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

hum....
marriage, in my culture, has nothing to do with love, indulgence blah blah.
i married for money.
i dont like prenup, the money comes from the other way. if i get divorced, i probably could retired ;-)
but what do i know about marriage/divorce law or love for that matter.
i just like porsches.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow I feel pretty stupid. I hand everything over to my wife. She has the financial mind to handle all the things I want to do. Shes my CFO my sounding board and my best bud. I make a decision and she finances it. I decide we need a condo in the mountains, I find it, I figure out the gross numbers and she works it out in details. When I want a $140K car same thing. We have been together for 30 years. Even now if it were to go to hell, I would just be waiting to die too. I wouldnt see any reason to go on, really save my 2 boys.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
As for the current market value of the AC-delete RS, I'd say it's one of the "collector" colours and specifications, but the miles are too high for collector market appeal. .
CGT...you think 1800 miles is too high...really??....man....the Mootster just sold his track worn RS with way high milage for ~ MSRP.....mine has not even seen a picture of a track!! or a drop of rain for that matter....that's gotta account for something, no?

what do you think about the clubsport items?....do they add or detract from the value?...I still have the original seats

I think it was quoted by the RS registrar that there were only 4-5 RS's ordered without A/C....die hard track junkies like me don't care about sweat.... its the only way to go for me with a car of this pedigree AFAIAC....i have all the A/C i need in the other GT3 and my other cars....(I actually cannot use A/C anyway...I get instant respiratory infections....thus 11 out of 16 rooms in my (used to be my) house have ceiling fans)

maybe the Vegas thing would work.....will they say that I have to come up with the $$ anyway??.....

you guys are right...the first thing both lawyers said was to not liquidate anything....and so it goes...on ....and .....on ....and ....on....at this rate of progress, the depreciation will catch up with or even pass the normal curve and this will all be a wash anyway
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Leif I am a really good poker player, you can bankroll me and we could split the earnings when you go
to Vegas. I live really close.
THen you can write off the cash. I am 96% successful when playing on bankrolled money. My mom came out to Vegas when she married a sugar daddy and she gave me $200 at 9 PM on a Saturday nite. I won
$2,600 in two hours playing Black Jack and craps ($5 and $10 tables respectively)
Old 11-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leif997
CGT...you think 1800 miles is too high...really??....man....the Mootster just sold his track worn RS with way high milage for ~ MSRP.....mine has not even seen a picture of a track!! or a drop of rain for that matter....that's gotta account for something, no?

what do you think about the clubsport items?....do they add or detract from the value?...I still have the original seats
I think 1800 is high for collectors. The car sounds like one that will attract a fair premium from serious enthusiasts. If the car is showroom fresh it could well appeal to a dealer at small premium over MSRP in the affluent regions. Setting aside the divorce strategy aspects, if the objective is to cash out of the car, I'd put it on eBay and see what comes. If time permits, I'd keep the car on the market with a higher premium and wait for the right buyer (and some strength in the stock markets to encourage people to liberate some cash ... it could be summer ...) Personally, I can't stand the business of selling cars privately, but when there's $10K+ on the table, I'm prepared to endure at least a little tedium ... : )
Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't listen to these guys......My offer still stands!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

i never understood the expression, "insanity is repeating a failed action and expecting different results". i consider it "stupidity"!

otherwise we agree.

one of the problems with a >$1M/yr income in a divorce is the incessant post-review and adjustment of support, at least in my state.

pretty amazing that you and your wife keep re-visiting the ante-nup. you and she (i'm assuming a "traditional" marriage) must have a great relationship! good for you!

don't get me started about same-sex legalities...
I can't remember (or Google) the origin or confirm the attribution of the expression right now -- it's something like "the definition of insanity is to repeat the same mistake while expecting a different outcome."

I don't think there's anything too amazing about re-visiting the financial plan (other than for a procrastinator like me to actually get around to it ...) It's all part of keeping the will and trust paperwork up to date from time to time. I've been retired for ten years -- despite the seemingly best efforts of the current administration to bankrupt the country, I try to keep them from bringing that fate to my door just as I try to keep from bringing it upon myself one way or another.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Definition of insanity is:
doing the exact same thing over and over and expecting different results
I think thats the statement

Quick Reply: What's my RS worth?? not selling; just curious..