Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's my RS worth?? not selling; just curious..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to see this damn thing already
Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your car worth? A lot more than you think. Really.

If you hadn't bought this car that money would be halved by now...either some stupid hedge/mutual fund manager would have done it for you OR the upcoming divorce settlement will. Consider the disguised blessings.

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
What's your car worth? A lot more than you think. Really.

If you hadn't bought this car that money would be halved by now...either some stupid hedge/mutual fund manager would have done it for you OR the upcoming divorce settlement will. Consider the disguised blessings.

Cheers!
^ Good point. I think your car would get MSRP right now...which ain't bad. After Jan 20 nobody's gonna have any fun money anymore.
As far as assessing it for the divorce, I'd just get it appraised as a NA 997, apply avg yearly 10k depreciation. Let them try and prove any different with all the comps (997,9974s/tt,etc) around whose value is in the toilet.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:02 PM
zizu
Racer

Originally Posted by leif997
"there shalt not be said A/C in thy pure track car"
AMEN!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:17 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

it all depends on her attorney

in either case, you'd be wise to tell your son you will make it up to him some other way and dump the puppy ASAP. really. this is no joke. yeah, yeah dissipation and yada yada...

you're better off converting your liquid assets and saying you sold it for less.

her attorney will get an appraiser who will find the most expensive one on eBay and you'll be stuck trying to prove it's worth less than that one

no need to ask how i know, is there? domestic law is all about throwing as much BS as you can. it's better to be the BS'er than the BS-ee
Old 11-01-2008, 12:33 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Outstanding... on the AC delete !

For everyone estimating an MSRP sales price, are you also saying plus the MSRP values on each extra item he put in his 997 RS?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

No, mods af any type generally reduce the value of a car.
Agree with allegretto, dump it. A friend of mine just went thru a messy/nasty divorce. Completely ruined him financially. He was a GYN lap surgeon with a boutique endometriosis practice on the upper east side($$$). Had a penthouse apt in battery park and a 3M house in the hamptons, two great kids(5,6 yo), ~40. She cheats on him with the freakin pool boy, they get divorced, she gets the apt/hamptons estate, 50% of his income, child support of 12k/mo, she auctioned his 04 c4s(his pride and joy) to the lowest bidder, something like 12k purely out of spite. He's now living in a dumpy 1BR in brooklyn basically miserable, taking public transportation, barely paying the CS, waiting to die.
Just sell the car(s) and call it a day, make it up to your son in some other way, you won't like what they do to you or your property, trust me.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Agree with allegretto, dump it. A friend of mine just went thru a messy/nasty divorce. Completely ruined him financially. He was a GYN lap surgeon with a boutique endometriosis practice on the upper east side($$$). Had a penthouse apt in battery park and a 3M house in the hamptons, two great kids(5,6 yo), ~40. She cheats on him with the freakin pool boy, they get divorced, she gets the apt/hamptons estate, 50% of his income, child support of 12k/mo, she auctioned his 04 c4s(his pride and joy) to the lowest bidder, something like 12k purely out of spite. He's now living in a dumpy 1BR in brooklyn basically miserable, taking public transportation, barely paying the CS, waiting to die.
Just sell the car(s) and call it a day, make it up to your son in some other way, you won't like what they do to you or your property, trust me.
TT Surgeon - Your analysis is simply precious. Don't know whether to laugh or cry...
Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
TT Surgeon, I didn't want to tell the poor boy about that side of the divorce! As I said in an earlier post, my divporce took 2 years and 4 months. I went Porscheless for a very long time after that!!! But all is well now.......14 years later!!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:10 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Cant he give it to his son now? in some sort of legal slight of hand to keep it from the attorneys?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

As the old joke goes: whatever floats, flies or f**ks, don't buy...rent!

So lesson of the day boys...buy your Porsches, rent your women.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:53 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Leif that sucks. Chris that REALLY sucks. I am glad I been married to the same woman for almost 30 years.
Is there any kind of transaction we can do to save Leif from losing his car?
If you want to ship it to me SERIOUSLY I would store it and only start it on your reccomendations and then get it back to you when you are back on your feet. Had this happen to a friend in NoCal and we did the same thing only it wasnt me. it was another guy took possesion of it legally and then gave it back when all was over.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:55 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Hey Leif that sucks. Chris that REALLY sucks. I am glad I been married to the same woman for almost 30 years.
Is there any kind of transaction we can do to save Leif from losing his car?
If you want to ship it to me SERIOUSLY I would store it and only start it on your reccomendations and then get it back to you when you are back on your feet. Had this happen to a friend in NoCal and we did the same thing only it wasnt me. it was another guy took possesion of it legally and then gave it back when all was over.
maybe....one of you left coasties can "steal" it for me and keep it in storage

seriously...you guys are painting an ugly picture...I am ready to take my lumps....its just a car and I will compensate for it in other property settlements; but I am keeping my F 'ing toys!!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
TT Surgeon, I didn't want to tell the poor boy about that side of the divorce! As I said in an earlier post, my divporce took 2 years and 4 months. I went Porscheless for a very long time after that!!! But all is well now.......14 years later!!
only 2.33 yrs

seriously, that was fast in my jurisdiction. the attorneys are just not in a big hurry around here
Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by leif997
maybe....one of you left coasties can "steal" it for me and keep it in storage

seriously...you guys are painting an ugly picture...I am ready to take my lumps....its just a car and I will compensate for it in other property settlements; but I am keeping my F 'ing toys!!
leif, my man

i don't know about your local laws, but i think shark-ese (the language of "domestic attorneys") is universal.

liquidate your toys! the attorneys will portray them as part of your pathology and neglect. give the money to someone you trust to hold for you and go to Vegas and say you just spent it. i am not kidding.

if you ask an attorney they will tell you not to do that, but that's because they want you to keep it for fees.

from your list it appears you have assets. that means it will be years till your divorce is final. there are way too many fees to bill on both sides. your atty and her's will give each other the high-sign and the meter will run like a Spokane buzzsaw on both sides.

in the end the judge's decision will be capricious and arbitrary and AGAINST YOU. liquidate all you can before the counting begins...REALLY!

you have my best wishes and sympathy, but listen up here...don't let your anger cloud your judgement. they're counting on it that you will. Be SMART not angry.

Quick Reply: What's my RS worth?? not selling; just curious..