Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!

Some of you might remember that I took my GT3 in a couple of weeks ago after noticing a nasty oil leak. Porsche Dubai initially thought it was a double Main Seal leak - front and rear. Both were indeed leaking and were replaced, but it turns out there was more!

The crankcase is leaking and needs to be resealed. They had to wait for approval from Stuttgart to open the engine. Apparently, Porsche service centers are not allowed to pry into a GT3 engine without informing the factory first.

According to them, it does happen.... Why? Not entirely sure

They assure me that the resealing will be done as well as if the factory had done it and that the engine will not be more fragile for it. I tend to trust them, they have a team of German guys trained in Stuttgart who are very good mechanically.

It is odd, though, that nobody here has reported such a problem. Did I get a bad draw at the GT3 engine lottery or do I really drive like a maniac - alghouth I don't think so??!

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
Some of you might remember that I took my GT3 in a couple of weeks ago after noticing a nasty oil leak. Porsche Dubai initially thought it was a double Main Seal leak - front and rear. Both were indeed leaking and were replaced, but it turns out there was more!

The crankcase is leaking and needs to be resealed. They had to wait for approval from Stuttgart to open the engine. Apparently, Porsche service centers are not allowed to pry into a GT3 engine without informing the factory first.

According to them, it does happen.... Why? Not entirely sure

They assure me that the resealing will be done as well as if the factory had done it and that the engine will not be more fragile for it. I tend to trust them, they have a team of German guys trained in Stuttgart who are very good mechanically.

It is odd, though, that nobody here has reported such a problem. Did I get a bad draw at the GT3 engine lottery or do I really drive like a maniac - alghouth I don't think so??!

Has anyone experienced this?
Is this the famous RMS leak? my car just started leaking on my garage at 6000 miles (many hard track miles) and it leaks from the large area right after the exhaust which I believe is the crank case but I am not sure.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

The Rear Main Seal leak is coming from the point between the engine and the exhaust. Oil leaks down along the crank case by gravity, so there is no visual difference between what is happening to my car and a regular RMS leak. Ask your Service Center to check for you.

My engine has been taken apart completely and waiting for parts from Germany to re-seal it... Been with them for almost 5 weeks!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to see pics if you can take some of the surgery.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
hesperus
Racer

how bad is the leak?

i had RMS (one of the first owners AFAIK to report it here), fixed under warranty

then i had a second leak, which was coming from the top of the engine, fixed too. something about a heat exchanger or related piping and seals going bad

i've ot a third one now, and the car is being checked.

in all cases, the leak was just a few drops on the driveway, and never enough to even result in noticeable change in the digital oil level meter.

is your leak much worse?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hesperus
how bad is the leak?

i had RMS (one of the first owners AFAIK to report it here), fixed under warranty

then i had a second leak, which was coming from the top of the engine, fixed too. something about a heat exchanger or related piping and seals going bad

i've ot a third one now, and the car is being checked.

in all cases, the leak was just a few drops on the driveway, and never enough to even result in noticeable change in the digital oil level meter.

is your leak much worse?
Mine leaks 4-5 drops per day, I parked it forwards overnight and got 4-5 just that one time. I should have information on Monday to confirm or deny the existence of RMS at 6000 miles on a daily/track driven car. I have read that a number of people have the leak with cars that sit in the garage 90% of the time but this may denounce that myth.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 AM
hesperus
Racer

thanks man.

i'll find out this week what the verdict is on my car. though they already said they're taking the engine down
Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Mine leaks 4-5 drops per day, I parked it forwards overnight and got 4-5 just that one time. I should have information on Monday to confirm or deny the existence of RMS at 6000 miles on a daily/track driven car. I have read that a number of people have the leak with cars that sit in the garage 90% of the time but this may denounce that myth.
trust me on this. the RMS leak has NOTHING to do if you drive the car or not. i had two RMS on a car that sees 1000 miles a month, for a total of 18,000 miles.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:08 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
trust me on this. the RMS leak has NOTHING to do if you drive the car or not. i had two RMS on a car that sees 1000 miles a month, for a total of 18,000 miles.
You are refering to the 7GT3 and not any of your past 4 6GT3s, right?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CalgaryGT3
same engine design and block...
Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by GeoT3
same engine design and block...
But yet the 7 RMS issue is all the rage compared to the 6s. I'm pretty sure mooty said once that he never had any RMS problems with any of his past four 6GT3s.

Something is definately different with these two engines in regards to frequency/percentage of RMS issues but no one here seems to know what.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by CalgaryGT3
correct. non of the 996gt3 had leaks

the RS had two RMS
7gt3 had one RMS
Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Well, today's update is that they are still waiting from some tools from Stuttgart to re-assemble the engine. No telling when they will get them and therefore when I will get my car back. This really sucks!!!

The leak was quite noticeable, especially after driving the car. I actually saw it for the first time one evening after parking it for a dinner with friends, maybe a couple of hours. The puddle was bout the size of the AC condenser puddle in the front, so not small! Funny thing is that I still had normal readings on the oil pressure gage and no warning. Oil level showed low and I had to put 2 liters in to bring it back to normal.

I can't take pics of the 'surgery' but will request some from Porsche. Will post if I do get them. Meanwhile, my engine is in pieces on their workbench, the gear box is wrapped in plastic nearby and the body of the car is sitting outside gathering dust!

And I really really miss my car!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is totally unacceptable and points to a growing problem with the lack of quality Porsche is experiencing.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Your engine should have been shipped to Porsche for either exchange or at least having them rectify the problem there.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!