Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
Well, today's update is that they are still waiting from some tools from Stuttgart to re-assemble the engine. No telling when they will get them and therefore when I will get my car back. This really sucks!!!

The leak was quite noticeable, especially after driving the car. I actually saw it for the first time one evening after parking it for a dinner with friends, maybe a couple of hours. The puddle was bout the size of the AC condenser puddle in the front, so not small! Funny thing is that I still had normal readings on the oil pressure gage and no warning. Oil level showed low and I had to put 2 liters in to bring it back to normal.

I can't take pics of the 'surgery' but will request some from Porsche. Will post if I do get them. Meanwhile, my engine is in pieces on their workbench, the gear box is wrapped in plastic nearby and the body of the car is sitting outside gathering dust!

And I really really miss my car!!!!!!
so sorry to hear that man. i'm in a similar boat... just got word from my dealer that they'll have the engine out today... and most likely it looks like a 2nd occurrence of RMS leak. hopefully that's all it is.

certainly i've never had the oil leak as bad as you described... and never even had to top up the oil, because it has never gone lower than the top "bar" on the indicator being empty.

good luck with your car!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salamat Hesperus. I'll post an update when I find out more... Hope you get your car back soon.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Man I'm going to be disappointed if I have to drive a chevy impala around for a month.

I am going to be equally disappointed for you if my car is returned in the two days they say it takes to repair this issue.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:14 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian S
Man I'm going to be disappointed if I have to drive a chevy impala around for a month.

I am going to be equally disappointed for you if my car is returned in the two days they say it takes to repair this issue.
A regular RMS leak should take no more than 2 days to fix, assuming they have the parts and available technicians. If they have to take your engine apart, it will take a whole lot more than 2 days... But, unfortunately for me and fortunately for you, mine seems to be an isolated case. So I have indeed been driving an Audi A6 2.4 replacement car for a while now; not my idea of fun

Good luck with your car, keep us posted.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

What happened to the porsche loaner fleet anyway? My dealer has gone from cayennes to boxsters, to enterprise, to caymans, to enterprise and now hertz. They stuck me with a H2 one time while gas prices were 3.50/gallon for regular.

The other dealer in town told me they had techs to work on my car last week, but no loaner from them but they would give me a ride up the road to hertz so I could pay for a rental car myself. They would have had cars available with a two week advance notice though.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

My car officially suffers from front main seal, and not rear main seal. ready by thursday.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

What happened to the porsche loaner fleet anyway? My dealer has gone from cayennes to boxsters, to enterprise, to caymans, to enterprise and now hertz. They stuck me with a H2 one time while gas prices were 3.50/gallon for regular.

The other dealer in town told me they had techs to work on my car last week, but no loaner from them but they would give me a ride up the road to hertz so I could pay for a rental car myself. They would have had cars available with a two week advance notice though.
No loaners... what a bunch of crap!

I guess in order for you to get a Porsche loaner next time, you will have to make sure you pre-schedule your oil leak!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
hesperus
Racer

ok, just got official word from Porsche that i do have a recurrence of RMS.

so that's the good news in a way-- i.e., its nothing more serious and is an easy fix.

the bad news is that its 2 wks to get the parts from Germany... so no car for now. oh well, could be worse!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Default Pics of Engine Rebuild

I was able to take a few pics yesterday. My engine has been totally dismantled and is now being put together. I had no idea of the extent of the job: it is essentially a full engine rebuild!

According to Porsche, it is going really well, but it will take another two weeks for them to complete the rebuild, mount everything back in the car and do a long-drive test on it to make sure that all works fine. I told them to be very sure of that, because I am going on the track on 21 November and I expect the car to be at 100%!
Attached Images      
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Originally Posted by hesperus
ok, just got official word from Porsche that i do have a recurrence of RMS.

so that's the good news in a way-- i.e., its nothing more serious and is an easy fix.

the bad news is that its 2 wks to get the parts from Germany... so no car for now. oh well, could be worse!

So, what did they say is the problem?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
So, what did they say is the problem?
just came from Porsche this morning to check out the car.

saw the engine, and indeed the oil seemed to be coming from around the crankshaft seal (the engine & tranny were already separated).

so its your "basic" RMS leak. since my first leak way back in late '06/early '07, the factory have instructed my dealer to install an additional spacer or seal or something or other behind the rear main seal (i'll check the records on what was changed from my first leak and with this leak).

i don't know if this additional fix is something new to prevent another recurrence of this issue, but its nice to know that Porsche are not going to do just the exact same thing they did the first time (which obviously did not cure the problem)...

i took a lot of pictures too, but for some reason, my %$#@ camera didn't save them properly on the memory card!!! was hoping to post up here...
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Still no car or details on the repair (it was promised thursday) so I may be stuck like you for a month....
Old 11-01-2008, 04:29 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Still no car or details on the repair (it was promised thursday) so I may be stuck like you for a month....
I wish it would have been only one month

Took the car in on 21 September, it's been 6 weeks and at least another two to go
Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I still went to the track this weekend, I ended up having to buy tires for my friends miata and driving that all day because my impala wasn't quite up to the task.

cost to fun ratio, the miata is right there honestly. I am currently in the market to buy one.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Monday's update: the engine is back in the car.... well, almost, they were still doing all the connections. According to my service advisor and the techs, everything looks good and I should get my mistress (that's what my wife calls the GT3 ) back by early next week. I cannot wait!!!! It's been since 18 September since I brought her in for what I thought was a RMS.

Meanwhile, since I kept complaining about the A6 loaner, they finally gave me something with a Porsche badge: a 2007 Cayenne Turbo, full options. It is not the latest model, but the one before. Doesn't matter guys, this things flies!!!!! I am very impressed with it, got to admit. The scary thing is that you do not really realize how fast you are going since the engine makes the same growling noise pretty much from 50 to 200 kph. I caught myself going into curves at really high speeds (160 kph) and having to use GT3-like driving to keep it on the road

Anyway, can't wait until Sunday....

Quick Reply: Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!