Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 AM
rare
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new poster and long time lurker.

After reading this thread last night i went to check if my RS had this issue.
I am dumping oil right behind the exhaust pipes, and the case is covered in oil with a large patch on the tiles under the car.

Is it serious enough to send it back to the dealer or should i just use it and watch the oil levels?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rare
Hi, new poster and long time lurker.

After reading this thread last night i went to check if my RS had this issue.
I am dumping oil right behind the exhaust pipes, and the case is covered in oil with a large patch on the tiles under the car.

Is it serious enough to send it back to the dealer or should i just use it and watch the oil levels?

Thanks.
sounds exactly like RMS to me.

i would bring it to the dealer, to make sure that its IS "just" RMS, and not something worse. regardless the problem, if you're dumping enough oil to risk damage to the engine, then you need to get that sorted.

now if it IS "just" RMS, you could have your dealer change the seal under warranty... but as you would have read already on here, its more than likely the problem will come back.

i'd have them go ahead and do it at least once, because you could be lucky and get the problem licked; and because even if not, your dealer will at least be on notice that they sold you a car with a problem, which should hopefully give you leverage with them in the future...

my 2 cents...
Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Hesperus. Sounds like you have quite a bit of oil under there, so you want to make sure that it is only a RMS and give Porsche the opportunity to change it under warranty. There are quite a few cases where one single RMS change was enough. Unfortunately, it does not seem work for all engines. Hopefully you will be allright...

Quick Reply: Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!