Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:51 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got mine after the RMS was changed. I can't believe how much I missed driving it!
Old 12-21-2008, 03:16 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Just got mine after the RMS was changed. I can't believe how much I missed driving it!
Enjoy it Khalid! Inshallah, it will stay dry.

Mine still in there for at least to weeks... Parts have to come in from the factory

Good thing I am going away tomorrow for one week, so I won't miss it too much hopefully...
Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Thanx! Yeah waiting was the worst part of it!

Enjoy your trip and hope that it'll be ready by the time you're back.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 AM
hesperus
Racer

well, its official... my RMS leak is back... AGAIN.

tracked it once, and had several hard drives on the street, including a few 170mph+ runs... it was dry for a few weeks, but this morning, saw unmistakable drops on a newspaper i leave under the car to monitor this sort of thing.

i've gone thru 3 seals, and won't bother going for more, as I don't believe the problem will be cured. i'll just do what many others here have said, and live with it.

am well aware of the 996TT seal fix, but my dealer (well, the ONLY dealer in the country actually) won't do this, as it is not an approved fix. i also mentioned it to the German tech in town from Stuttgart, and he confirmed that Porsche won't do said fix.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

I don't blame you for giving up and just letting it "leak" when it wants to. I'm drawing a line if I need a second RMS fix! Mine's been dry so far so hope it stays that way.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

This sucks, man!! I was told categorically by the head of the Porsche service center here that the factory identified 'fix' works fine. This may sound like a stupid question but are they 100% sure that this is a RMS leak? Maybe, like in my case, the crankcase halves somehow do not fit perfectly at the location of the seal?

Update on mine: it is still at the garage... Engine has been dropped, water pump is being replaced and the whole cooling system will be fully tested to identify the cause of the breakdown. Bottom line: they still do not know what is wrong and I will probably not get my car back until February, since some parts are on back order from the factory, which only reopened today.

In two words: it sucks!!

Last edited by CorsicanBB; 01-05-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 AM
hesperus
Racer

sorry to hear about your woes man.

well, i've had the seal done 3x... two of those times, under supervision from technicians who were in town from Stuttgart. i suppose its possible they misdiagnosed the RMS, but what are the chances?

in any case, i think you mentioned your crankcase leak resulted in LOTS of oil seeping thru? i mean, more than the typical RMS leak, which just a couple drops at a time?

i've been watching the leak under my car (been in the garage for over 48 hours now,) and its a couple of drops, but seems to have stopped now. in other words, consistent with what i've read about RMS...
Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Sounds like they are on top of it, then. Maybe the best thing to do is to keep the car and monitor the oil 'sweating' (as I was told it is called)...

I had a really positive update: my car may be ready by the end of the week Porsche Middle East (the importer) has been able to source the parts locally, even through the distributors of the region did not have them, and the repair has been made. They basically replaced all the hoses, connectors, housings, the water pump, and are now going through a whole series of test of the cooling and oil circulation systems to make sure that there is no more problem. The guy from Porsche Middle East had never seen this issue happen on any Carrera engine! He believe that it was caused by exhaust gases leaking into the cooling system (no idea how this could even happen ) and generating extra pressure, causing the hoses to break loose from their housing.

Let's hope this is fixed once and for all! More later...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

You deserve a break! Hope that cures it and you can get to enjoy your car once more.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Well.... here is the update.

Porsche finally found out what is wrong with the engine now: some exhaust gas is leaking into the coolant, causing it to litterally explode out of the engine. They believe that one of the cylinder heads is cracked and are currently testing them to be 100% sure. This has been required by Porsche Middle East before any decision can be made on how to move forward.

Assuming they confirm (which is 99% sure), we have 3 options:
1. Replace the cylinder heads
2. Replace the engine and give me an additional year of warranty
3. Replace the car, if they estimate that the repairs are not worth it.

Obviously option 3 would be interesting if they could give me a new car, but we all know that there are no more GT3s being made. They could possibly buy the car back from me, but at which price? And I would have to look for one on the used-car market. This is not ideal!

Option 2 would work for me, of course: I get my car (the one I specced) but with a new engine. Option 1 would be entirely unacceptable to me, as there would be no guarantee that something else won't go wrong with this engine.

We are supposed to discuss all this within the next couple of days, meanwhile I am still Porsche-less... and probably will be for a while longer. Still sucks, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 AM
hesperus
Racer

oh wow... you are one patient man. i salute you.

i'd be sleepless!!!

hoping for the best!

(my car continues to leak a bit... its going back in for a warranty claim on the stereo this week, and i'll have them confirm its RMS again. THEN comes the tricky bit about deciding what to do about it.)
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
Well.... here is the update.

Porsche finally found out what is wrong with the engine now: some exhaust gas is leaking into the coolant, causing it to litterally explode out of the engine. They believe that one of the cylinder heads is cracked and are currently testing them to be 100% sure. This has been required by Porsche Middle East before any decision can be made on how to move forward.

Assuming they confirm (which is 99% sure), we have 3 options:
1. Replace the cylinder heads
2. Replace the engine and give me an additional year of warranty
3. Replace the car, if they estimate that the repairs are not worth it.

Obviously option 3 would be interesting if they could give me a new car, but we all know that there are no more GT3s being made. They could possibly buy the car back from me, but at which price? And I would have to look for one on the used-car market. This is not ideal!

Option 2 would work for me, of course: I get my car (the one I specced) but with a new engine. Option 1 would be entirely unacceptable to me, as there would be no guarantee that something else won't go wrong with this engine.

We are supposed to discuss all this within the next couple of days, meanwhile I am still Porsche-less... and probably will be for a while longer. Still sucks, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
For your sake, I certainly hope that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an on coming train!

I hope your get option 2 or 3. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Thanks Tim. I really hope it will work out. Option 1 is definitely unacceptable!!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Kudos for being rational about it and not throwing a fit! It's always better working with your dealer to find an acceptable resolution. I wouldn't accept option 1 as well. The engine has been problematic and changing parts piecemeal won't make it anymore reliable.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 AM
hesperus
Racer

well, my car back at Porsche as of yesterday... definitely leaking on my garage. again, not enough for me to notice it on the oil level gauge, or to have to add any oil (after about a month, including a trackday and several high speed drives,) but definitely not just "sweating"

we'll see what they say...

Quick Reply: Oil Leak: Crankcase Needs Resealing!!!