Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

6 GT3 or 7 GT3??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh??? I was quite sure there was no yaw input to the GT3's TC..

That would be a primary reason why it is solely a traction control system as opposed to stability.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here - I never read or heard that TC and other systems are defacto like PSM. There's only rear wheel TC, there's no yaw sensor, etc. Below are what I found in definition for both TC and the sub-systems that make TC work (doesn't sound anything like PSM):

For the first time ever, the new 911 GT3 is equipped with Traction Control (TC) as standard. Derived from the Carrera GT, this proven technology combines Automatic Brake Differential (ABD), Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) and Engine Drag Torque Control (MSR) functionality.

Specifically configured for optimum sports performance, Traction Control reduces wheelspin under full acceleration which could destabilize the rear of the car. The standard trigger threshold for the system is purposely so high that it is rarely exceeded during normal road-driving in dry conditions. It is possible to raise the threshold higher still by pressing the Sport button on the center console. For maximum involvement, the system can be fully disabled by using the separate “TC OFF” switch.

ABD: When the drive wheels begin to spin, the automatic brake differential function (ABD) initially brakes the individual wheel with the higher level of slip. If both wheels spin, ASR intervenes in a fraction of a second.

ASR: Anti-slip regulation (ASR) serves to prevent excessive slip on the drive wheels, thereby enhancing lateral stability at the rear axle. The ASR function is active during acceleration throughout the entire speed range. The engine power is reduced as a result of intervention in engine control.

MSR: Couldn't find a Porsche definition, so here's one from VW for MSR / EDTC - MSR engine-drag torque control prevents the driven wheels from locking due to the braking effect of the engine on slippery surfaces when the driver suddenly takes his foot off the accelerator or rapidly shifts down a gear. The braking effect of the engine may cause the driven wheels to skid. They temporarily lose traction and the vehicle becomes unstable. In such situations, engine-drag torque control maintains directional stability and boosts safety. The control unit of the engine-drag torque control system receives all the necessary information from the wheel-speed sensors and the engine control unit or transmission control unit via the CAN data bus. If the control unit detects that the driven wheels are slipping, the engine-drag torque control system sends a signal via the CAN data bus to the engine control unit indicating that engine torque should be increased, until the driven wheels are once again turning at a rate appropriate to the speed of the vehicle. This keeps the vehicle steerable and ensures that directional stability is maintained. Engine-drag torque control functions across the entire speed range.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

well, i dont really cared what it's called: abd, abs, tc, psm, blah blah.

psm doesn't feel the same as 7's TC.
on my cayman or friends 997 with psm, i can turn it off and still triggered it at will. in very tight turns, you can trigger it on purpose and make it act like LSD.

on 7, i have had TC on and off, so far i can only trigger TC when it's on. when i switch it off, no matter how i try, i can't get TC to come on.

furtheremore, with TC on and when i trigger it, the car behaves very differently than if you trigger PSM.

so stop worrying about all the acronym/abbreviations. i say just drive the **** out of either the 6 or the 7. and enjoy the ride.

got to go work on the car now. close encounter with speed bump, lip fell off again.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yah, that's what I'm trying to say - it's just Traction Control and you can turn it off... Not at all like PSM, which I had in the 997S.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,301 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

so stop worrying about all the acronym/abbreviations. i say just drive the **** out of either the 6 or the 7. and enjoy the ride.

got to go work on the car now. close encounter with speed bump, lip fell off again.
sorry that reminds me of dumb and dumber with jim carrey...

"I fell off the jetway again today harry"
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
well, i dont really cared what it's called: abd, abs, tc, psm, blah blah.

psm doesn't feel the same as 7's TC.
on my cayman or friends 997 with psm, i can turn it off and still triggered it at will. in very tight turns, you can trigger it on purpose and make it act like LSD.

on 7, i have had TC on and off, so far i can only trigger TC when it's on. when i switch it off, no matter how i try, i can't get TC to come on.

furtheremore, with TC on and when i trigger it, the car behaves very differently than if you trigger PSM.

So how does TC intervension feel compared to PSM when the car starts to slide sideways?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I recall Synergy talking about the rear brake pad wear issue on 997 GT3s. I believe this was due to ABD and Engine Drag Torque control. I don't think you can turn the latter off, even on cup cars. For full disclosure, I have no direct experience with the 997 GT3.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be off base here, but how would a 997 S with the powerkit stack up to a 996 GT3? HP is the same but I do not about driving dynamics.
Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 6 GT3 or 7 GT3??