GT1 based GT3 engine on the way out ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Gents
Not sure if you all figured it but the clip comes from this new enterprise "Drivers Republic" which has been formed by Some ex EVO mag guys including the excellent Chris Harris ( a major Porsche nut)
These fancy layouts with the video embedded are fantasic aren't they ? and they say they are going to get even better - join up (hope I am allowed to say this ?)
http://www.drivers-republic.com/
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM
AFAlinebacker42
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definately not wishful thinking. same thing, people loved the air cooled engine but the water cooled came around, now were looking at a beloved GT1 block that could NEVER go away, but it probably will. obsolete. the new engine will blow us away, i garuntee it. drink it up!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
AFAlinebacker42
Banned

definately not wishful thinking. same thing, people loved the air cooled engine but the water cooled came around, now were looking at a beloved GT1 block that could NEVER go away, but it probably will. obsolete. the new engine will blow us away, i garuntee it. drink it up!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
AFAlinebacker42
Banned

whoops, dont know what happened there... :-P
Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by AFAlinebacker42
I don't think it was exactly that... it was the link to the cars used for racing... all 911 hard core folks love the fact that, up to the 996, all their cars shared core parts with the cars being raced. That changed with the 996. Only GT2, GT3, 996TT had that link.

If Porsche starts using a different block for the race cars, and those blocks are also used for the new GT2/3 and TT then all is good and the universe is once again balanced... well, not really... wishful thinking would be to have that block shared with all 911s...

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-19-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Can't type...
Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I don't think it was exactly that... it was the link to the cars used for racing... all 911 hard core folks love the fact that, up to the 996, all their cars shared core parts with the cars being raced. That changed with the 996. Only GT2, GT3, 996TT had that link.

If Porsche starts using a different block for the race cars, and those blocks are also used for the new GT2/3 and TT then all is good and the universe is once again balanced... well, not really... wishful thinking would be to have that block shared with all 911s...
I think you understate the facts.

If you work on a 993 and get it up on a hoist and pull apart the drivetrain and the running gear, you're looking at a race car which has been detuned to be livable on the street.

And if you disassemble a 996 GT3, you see the Cup car (give or take racing components, restrictor plate intake, etc.) In 2004, you could take a 996 GT3 and look at the Le Mans winning TRG car and see the same vehicle.

Today and with the 997 facelift, let's hope the marketing staff and the bean counters don't lose the plot. Hopefully they're all preoccupied with the Pana-mericana-barrack-obama-fee-fi-fo-mo-rocca-yo-mamma thing or the diesel hybrid eco-job Cayenne weighing only 6000lbs, etc. Maybe they need to resize the mirrors on the Cayman to match the facelift 997. Let's hope they keep finding these inane tweaks and leave the engineers to achieve triumphs (like a double clutch gearbox that's finally worth driving and not getting hung up in the "hard core" of having something for your left foot to do while you're driving ... : )
Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very interesting development news....PDK finally
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2008, 03:00 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I want to know how Porsche is going to homolegate the race cars in the SPortscar series' that they race in with different block. Will Porsche just
A: cheat like all the other Corvette Pontiac Cadillac, Mazda tube frame racers?
B: Just get out of racing all togehter and eliminate the 911 and build a performance Minivan called the
Porsche CryVan to go along with the Cayenne performanc SUV.

If that happens then I:
A. Go to Aston Martin and buy a DBS, claim that Guggenbuehl is an English name
and claim my car is JUST LIKE the GT1 class Aston Race cars.
B. Start spending track day money on watches (not that I get alot of track time now)
Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Hhmmm... those new wheels look familiar !!!

The dual clutch transmission will enable Porsche to use a lot of "electronic aids"... possibly following the GT-R.

The new two-piece engine block/along with a host of new features should be quite an improvement.

Quick Reply: GT1 based GT3 engine on the way out ?