Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First review (I've seen) of PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bet their marketing folks figured that the first people will be the traditional tip users. With that why spend the money to retool. They will end up with the right design when it gets to turbos and GTs
Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

I really grew to hate the SMG in the E60 M5 after the novelty wore off. In 06 it was BMW's complete redesign latest/greatest/quickest.

In this article I see the same criticisms

Hunting for gears
Abrubt shifting when not expected etc. etc.
The whole gear change process is like changing a radio station

Faster yes but why bother really for a car driven on the street it becomes an annoyance.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:31 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove an Audi R8 at Laguna with eshift and it was great for redline full throttle shifts, but felt clumsy at anything less than that.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

why would you ever shift at any other point??? haha.

how'd you like the r8 chassis? I've got the same engine in my rs4 and LOVE it.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:25 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Transmission aside, the car looks too soft...
Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 471 Posts

Just goes to show that what Porsche really wants to do is make the automated shifting transmission (I did not say automatic) less of a "you wussed out and bought an automatic" proposition than the old tip. The most intuitive way to shift a manual tranny other than a stick is with paddles. Why else would they have done this in F1? All they're doing is making an automatic more marketable. Flame suit on.

Tim.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I drove an Audi R8 at Laguna with eshift and it was great for redline full throttle shifts, but felt clumsy at anything less than that.
+1 million

Feel the same way about any of these DSG/SMG/FerrariF1 etc.

Works brilliant at flat out and sucky at most other times.

Must be some mechanical engineering reason for this
Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the street redline shifts might draw attention! The R8 chassis was so capable that it felt underpowered, V10? It made anyone driving it look like a hero.
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
why would you ever shift at any other point??? haha.

how'd you like the r8 chassis? I've got the same engine in my rs4 and LOVE it.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
On the street redline shifts might draw attention! The R8 chassis was so capable that it felt underpowered, V10? It made anyone driving it look like a hero.
v12 TDI...
Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
holy crap they can't be serious with carrying over those stupid tiptronic style buttons...disaster
Totally agree !!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 613 Posts

Also bummed to see the buttons, but then I've seen them work okay in some apps, so I'll keep an open mind. I am more bummed to see the pull back to downshift thing. It's counterintuitive, at least for this driver.

Ah well. DSG/PDK/etc. appears to be the future. Rohrl told me the saving grace for guys like me (I'm not sure what he meant! ) is that cost will keep manuals available. Maybe in Porsches, but I don't know about the rest of the cars out there. Finding a new GTI *without* DSG was nearly impossible. EVERYbody gets the DSG. EVERYdealer orders it. Only two four-doors in the western half of the U.S. were loaded up and had a manual 6-spd.

Now the new A4 Avant is shiftless, Subie keeps dumping great cars with sticks (new Legacy GT wagon 2.5GT, Forester 2.5XT), and it's getting hard to find a decent stick daily family car. And my wife doesn't want an auto. I know the sales numbers are thin and dying, but do these manufacturers realize that they're throwing away key customers and, more importantly, brand ambassadors in the car nuts who would buy their cars as sticks and then sell friends on the automatics?

pete
Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Rohrl told me the saving grace for guys like me (I'm not sure what he meant! ) is that cost will keep manuals available. Maybe in Porsches, but I don't know about the rest of the cars out there.pete
let's hope they keep them sticks... I think the other saving grace is these DSG style trannies are not able to hold massive amounts of torque- at least not in anything in the 500ftb of torque cost effectively.... See what happens when folks start to mod the GTR for example:P
Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Porsche doesn't have a lot of choice in going to DI and PDK -- both emissions and demand. Just look at 430's without F1. If you can find one.

Surely the GTR and the V-Spec will be snapping that bizarre forward drive-shaft and smoking clutch packs. Wider, stickier rubber should be enough to do it. This will create an after-market industry (assuming Nissan will be rejecting warranty claims.)

Porsche has created problems for itself in the past with things like PCCBs, so you'd have to expect them to be more cautious about exposure to drivers destroying clutches just by using the launch control. But we'll soon see.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Porsche has created problems for itself in the past with things like PCCBs, so you'd have to expect them to be more cautious about exposure to drivers destroying clutches just by using the launch control. But we'll soon see.
Played around with the launch control a bit on a GT2 and honestly didn't fancy it. The car would bog pretty badly which sort of defeats the purpose
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Played around with the launch control a bit on a GT2 and honestly didn't fancy it. The car would bog pretty badly which sort of defeats the purpose
That's a completely different kettle of fish of course, but I have high hopes that Porsche -- by the time it gets the GT3 ready -- will be fully sorted. Then again, if you look at their "programming" (and that's being generous) in the Cayenne Turbo transmission, well, it's disappointing to see the Porsche name on anything that half-baked.

Quick Reply: First review (I've seen) of PDK