First review (I've seen) of PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=127326

Porsche would have us believe the '09 S w/PDK (and PASM and presumably with PCCBs) is about as quick around Nordschleife as the 997 Turbo (without, of course.) 7:50.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=127326

Porsche would have us believe the '09 S w/PDK (and PASM and presumably with PCCBs) is about as quick around Nordschleife as the 997 Turbo (without, of course.) 7:50.
Okay, just got word from who I sent to the 997 launch.

Says PDK is amazing (and he is an ex-racer who is not so into DSG, SMG, etc.), that it's like a third concept in addition to DSG and a manual. Totally different to DSG in that it feels like a torque converter off the line and in reverse, but left to its own devices, it does a better job of picking gears than you can.

Apparently, the Weissach test guys don't bother with the buttons, either... I trust his judgment implicitly, and what he tells me, along with the editor of SCI who just got back.

Both seem to imply it comes down to whether you like a clutch pedal or not. It's that good. And a total replacement for Tip, which is why it took so long to get here. Both hate the forward for upshift/back for downshift, BTW.

There are other aspects of the car that are very promising, as well as some that are scary (main bearings integrated in the case, for instance...). Pity I couldn't go on this trip, but I'll look forward to the possibility of checking it out myself in a few weeks.

pete
Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
Okay, just got word from who I sent to the 997 launch.

Says PDK is amazing (and he is an ex-racer who is not so into DSG, SMG, etc.), that it's like a third concept in addition to DSG and a manual. Totally different to DSG in that it feels like a torque converter off the line and in reverse, but left to its own devices, it does a better job of picking gears than you can.

Apparently, the Weissach test guys don't bother with the buttons, either... I trust his judgment implicitly, and what he tells me, along with the editor of SCI who just got back.

Both seem to imply it comes down to whether you like a clutch pedal or not. It's that good. And a total replacement for Tip, which is why it took so long to get here. Both hate the forward for upshift/back for downshift, BTW.

There are other aspects of the car that are very promising, as well as some that are scary (main bearings integrated in the case, for instance...). Pity I couldn't go on this trip, but I'll look forward to the possibility of checking it out myself in a few weeks.

pete
Well, it's a huge relief to hear credible first-hand information on the PDK from a driving perspective. Not that I want to leave the transmission to time the shifts, but I'm relieved to hear the car is drivable in "auto" mode and still gives someone a good day at the track.

As for the shifters, it's no big deal, there will be after-market solutions and maybe the GT3 will get paddles. I think it's time to remove the forward "shifter" section of the center console completely and get back to the original 911 dash line. "Console delete" in the 996 GT3 was one of the nicest things about the cabin of that type!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
"Console delete" in the 996 GT3 was one of the nicest things about the cabin of that type!
With this, I couldn't agree more.

pete
Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
AFAlinebacker42
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb hmm...

i would like to hear what you all think of this idea. in the future i could see porsche moving to sequential boxes in cars such as the GT3 and GT2, with a rachet type shifter and everything. problem would be that people would probably blow their gear boxes up driving them on the street, but how would you like to see that on a new 911 or whatever?

also, with Tip., and the PDK coming up, im all for the PDK. with the sequential transmission in the car i race (skip barber formula 2000, southern regional), you push foreward to downshift, and pull back to shift up - and it has a clutch! that would sell me completely if they could make that change somehow.

my final proposal: a 998 gt3 should not only have the folding bucket seats (because those are cool, right? ), but also come standard with the club sport package rear rollcage, have the stiffer carrera 4 shell even if the widebody is not added. a sequential gear box or PDK with proper shift orientation and a clutch pedal would be nice, console delete as mentioned above, and i think it would be nice to have a racing instrument cluster and console with carbon, though maybe not overdone on a road car. what do you think?
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A great video review of the new 911. The car sounds great at full throttle and the gearshifts sound VERY fast: http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=233451&CT=V
Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
A great video review of the new 911. The car sounds great at full throttle and the gearshifts sound VERY fast: http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=233451&CT=V
Entertaining review. Could do without the pommy accent. Why can't all car reviews be by ex F1 hot shoes?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: First review (I've seen) of PDK