Champions and Intrax 4-way on Frog RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
ScottL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
Scott,

Please share your settings for high speed rebound and compression for the Front and Rear? Also, do you find that changing the low speed setting in the Rear from 7 to 9 or 10 makes a big difference? Have you had to change the front settings at all. I'm running -12 rebound, 10 compression and 7 slow.

Thanks
Front: same as you
Rear -12, 24, 10
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Why Intrax over Moton or JRZ ?. And why are my Dutch compatriots so good at suspension ?. They also make some of the very best motorcycle suspensions,
Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
ScottL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Erik
Why Intrax over Moton or JRZ ?. And why are my Dutch compatriots so good at suspension ?. They also make some of the very best motorcycle suspensions,
On the first question...Intrax have taken a different approach. Rather than trying to emulate a Cup car (eg race car firm springs and damping) they actually soften the car a touch. In other words you don't have to ruin the road manners to get it really working on track. This is what sold me on Intrax.

This is possible because their 4 way dampers allow independent adjustment of low speed compression, high speed compression and rebound. The damper is a sophisticated monotube design with a piggyback reservoir. The reservoir contains pressurised gas which (via the high speed compression adjustment) serves to support the spring rate in a progressive manner.

This enables a softer more compliant setup with awesome high speed control. The increase in grip is very noticeable. The front end is much improved. The rear is planted. Overall the car is very neutral, progressive and easy to drive hard. The adjustability is nice if you frequent a wide variety of circuits.

Bottom line is - better on the road and on the track.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- do you know the spring rates that intrax uses?
- sounds somewhat similar to what KW does
- kw sells their kit with a 285f, 970r spring package (i.e. they keep the spring close to OE but i think the rear is a little firmer)

paul
Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- do you know the spring rates that intrax uses?
- sounds somewhat similar to what KW does
- kw sells their kit with a 285f, 970r spring package (i.e. they keep the spring close to OE but i think the rear is a little firmer)

paul
I'm the guy with the first 996 GT3 on this setup.

The spring rates are actually pretty high (Jon wouldn't thank me for publishing them sorry), but there is a tender spring at the rear which gives the high speed bump compliance and helps with traction. Its not so much that the springs are hard more that the damper control is so good that it doesn't get bumped around before the damper can react so its always taking off the sharp edges.

I guess ultimately you could go a bit quicker with a less compliant approach but the car would be nasty on the road and hard work on track.

The reason I went for them vs motons was the promise of road compliance - the guys who sell motons in the UK would have just bolted on a cup setup and I'd have needed a trailer. No point in that - may as well get a cup. Also price is very competitive compared to alternatives in the UK and Oakley have a demo car (a 997 so it was a bit of a leap of faith for me) that meant we could all have a try before commiting.

Anyway the result is a car that corners flat, rides curbs with amazing finesse and is incredibly reassuring to drive wet or dry. I'm very pleased!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennMc
Off to the Ring for a shake down today
Jammy Dodger!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by ScottL
On the first question...Intrax have taken a different approach. Rather than trying to emulate a Cup car (eg race car firm springs and damping) they actually soften the car a touch. In other words you don't have to ruin the road manners to get it really working on track. This is what sold me on Intrax.

This is possible because their 4 way dampers allow independent adjustment of low speed compression, high speed compression and rebound. The damper is a sophisticated monotube design with a piggyback reservoir. The reservoir contains pressurised gas which (via the high speed compression adjustment) serves to support the spring rate in a progressive manner.

This enables a softer more compliant setup with awesome high speed control. The increase in grip is very noticeable. The front end is much improved. The rear is planted. Overall the car is very neutral, progressive and easy to drive hard. The adjustability is nice if you frequent a wide variety of circuits.

Bottom line is - better on the road and on the track.
Interesting... What's funny is I have a sick track alignment/setup with my Moton's, but the car is still so composed on the street, it actually plays head games with me in thinking it's "soft" or w/e but on the track and even when I turn the wheel or go into a turn, the thing is flat as a board and just so compliant!

It's all in the setup which is obvious.

To the original poster, you have a sick setup man. I can relate on how the R888's feel, they fee a bit "soft" or not as sharp/precise to the MPSC's, but the grip is that much more rewarding and better, if you make minor changes to the suspension setup it really works so well with the tires, I love them so much!

Thanks for the videos, any high res pictures of your car?

Martin
Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Interesting... What's funny is I have a sick track alignment/setup with my Moton's, but the car is still so composed on the street, it actually plays head games with me in thinking it's "soft" or w/e but on the track and even when I turn the wheel or go into a turn, the thing is flat as a board and just so compliant!

It's all in the setup which is obvious.

To the original poster, you have a sick setup man. I can relate on how the R888's feel, they fee a bit "soft" or not as sharp/precise to the MPSC's, but the grip is that much more rewarding and better, if you make minor changes to the suspension setup it really works so well with the tires, I love them so much!

Thanks for the videos, any high res pictures of your car?

Martin
Thanks buddy...

I have all the High res from these, got 69 shots in total, these are my favs..

Look at the rear tyre sidewall in pic 10

Old 06-03-2008, 01:24 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Amazing amazing pictures. How fast did you go on the straight? What's the tire pressure for R888s? Thanks for posting.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by GlennMc
Thanks buddy...

I have all the High res from these, got 69 shots in total, these are my favs..

Look at the rear tyre sidewall in pic 10
Is there any way I can get all of them LOL

BTW I wish my sidewall were thinner on my tires... I feel like the turn in and handling would be more precise :/

Martin
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by datax
Amazing amazing pictures. How fast did you go on the straight? What's the tire pressure for R888s? Thanks for posting.
Not sure to tell the truth, i would guess around 170-180mph, it its very bumpy on the main straight, and i didn't want to take my eyes off things

About 37rear and 33 front Hot.

G.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:52 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Is there any way I can get all of them LOL

BTW I wish my sidewall were thinner on my tires... I feel like the turn in and handling would be more precise :/

Martin
That's the problem with the Toyos, they have a very square shoulder, so you get a fair bit of tyre roll before the car turns in, it can make the car feel a bit strange.

I tried the Hoosiers last week at Spa, they were awesome, but strangely, when i put the Toyos back on, they didn't feel too bad, maybe because i was dialling into the track more and more....

Some footage here if you are bored.....

Asked the guys if they wanted me to film them from behind....starts off slow, but pics up nicely, especially the 2nd
link

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...aCameralap.flv

Last lap:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...pafinallap.flv
Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Tires

Glen,

I'm going to be trying the Hoosier's in 19 inch in a couple of weeks. Did you change your sway bar settings or Intrax settings to compensate for the increased grip? Also, I've been following all the feedback in terms of R888 in 19 inch vs 18 inch. I've stayed away from the 18 inch because I'd rather stick closer to stock heights. Also, wanted to eliminate some of the sidewall flex that people have with the 18 inch tires. Any comments as to your favorite set-up so far?

Thanks,

Jonathon
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by sasportas
Glen,

I'm going to be trying the Hoosier's in 19 inch in a couple of weeks. Did you change your sway bar settings or Intrax settings to compensate for the increased grip? Also, I've been following all the feedback in terms of R888 in 19 inch vs 18 inch. I've stayed away from the 18 inch because I'd rather stick closer to stock heights. Also, wanted to eliminate some of the sidewall flex that people have with the 18 inch tires. Any comments as to your favorite set-up so far?

Thanks,

Jonathon

I didn't change anything when swapping, it 'maybe' could have done with stiffening the low speed bump (body control) a tad..but the car felt so quick anyway, and very benign, so didn't want to upset the balance that Henk had dialled in for me.....i will keep this setup for the time being, as i am really loving it..

As for going 18's, i wouldn't even consider that, but each to their own i suppose...
Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Settings

Are you on "middle" setting in the rear and one hole from full stiff in front?

Quick Reply: Champions and Intrax 4-way on Frog RS