Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Smart money!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 AM
F430CS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you were never allowed the RS because alot of so called enthusiasts bought their RS's and flipped them.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) on new M3 - sourced ex Getrag - handles 414 horses...so at least one example of a cost effective (Veyron don't count..) highish horsepower DCT.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven_H
Wasn't the GT3 RS homologated for racing, like the 73 RS. Will the GT2 ever be raced, or the basis of a race car? Was the last GT2?
I believe the GT2 was banned from competition!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Unhappy ... Say what?

Originally Posted by F430CS
you were never allowed the RS because alot of so called enthusiasts bought their RS's and flipped them.
Did you say "flipped"? You can get this one on the eBay...

Old 04-22-2008, 02:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

nah that's just a regular gt3. if it was an RS...well either way- OUCH.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
.. along with the fact that changes to the turbo charger may make it harder and risker to modify (not my thing).
hey colm, I'll probably get shot down for saying this but I agree with you. I've got two customers with GT2s already and both of whom have had modified Turbos (older) with us before. I explained to them that I'm honestly not keen or even going to be modifying the 7 GT2. I was never particularily set on modifying the 6 GT2 because the way the car was set up was almost perfect and somewhat safe for the majority of drivers/owners (ALMS or pro drivers apart). The K24s were laggy enough to where the power was useable/controlable on the track etc... When we took some of the 640/700 kits from the 996TT and applied them to the GT2 platform the balance went out the window. You were left with an increadibly dangerous car. A car that spooled up way fast and with turbos that hit very, very hard. The car would become an animal to control even in the hands of pro ALMS drivers. I know this version is set up a certain way and although it's likely safer with the TC I'm pretty certain I don't want to make an already perfectly balanced car faster but more dangerous. The level of ECU control along with the EGT probes controlling the turbo delivery is already a challenge in the 997TT but with the GT2... Well you get the picture. It already has a very free flowing exhaust as well so you won't catch me saying this often but keep the GT2 stock
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

alex- I'd agree that with all the factors probably the best thing to do with the GT2 is suspension/tires and leave the engine in one piece...the VTG turbos cannot be rebuilt, only replaced
Old 04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Did you say "flipped"? You can get this one on the eBay...

I think you mean another word begining with "f" and ending in "ed" ... dont you?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by sharkster
hey colm, I'll probably get shot down for saying this but I agree with you. I've got two customers with GT2s already and both of whom have had modified Turbos (older) with us before. I explained to them that I'm honestly not keen or even going to be modifying the 7 GT2. I was never particularily set on modifying the 6 GT2 because the way the car was set up was almost perfect and somewhat safe for the majority of drivers/owners (ALMS or pro drivers apart). The K24s were laggy enough to where the power was useable/controlable on the track etc... When we took some of the 640/700 kits from the 996TT and applied them to the GT2 platform the balance went out the window. You were left with an increadibly dangerous car. A car that spooled up way fast and with turbos that hit very, very hard. The car would become an animal to control even in the hands of pro ALMS drivers. I know this version is set up a certain way and although it's likely safer with the TC I'm pretty certain I don't want to make an already perfectly balanced car faster but more dangerous. The level of ECU control along with the EGT probes controlling the turbo delivery is already a challenge in the 997TT but with the GT2... Well you get the picture. It already has a very free flowing exhaust as well so you won't catch me saying this often but keep the GT2 stock
Alex leave a car stock!?!?!?! RIGHTTTTTTTTTT hahaha...

I'm managing pretty well with the power of my GT2, but for the normal person I know what you mean, it's a big liability!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

F430 you are right. Had speculators not been involved (the ugly reality of a free market) I would not be trying to talk myself into that the Std GT3 is just as good as the RS

The GT2 was homologated for GT2 racing but was written out of the rules
Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 AM
am722
Drifting

I would not be trying to talk myself into that the Std GT3 is just as good as the RS
But it really is, right? I acknowledge that the RS colors are stunning and make the car more exclusive and recognizable, and that the single mass flywheel makes it feel racier, but you can make the std weigh roughly the same as the RS with a few mods, and seriously--how good of a driver do you really have to be to shed any laptime between a std and an RS?

OG--I love your GT silver std GT3. If it were my money, that's what I would buy, even given a choice.

But yes, the RS has the exclusivitiy and flair, and is certainly very, very cool.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Aaron That means alot coming from a fellow Texan.
Really the car is good and a friend of mine that has had both told me the only
real difference and its a big one is the LWFW and the RS clutch.
I live GT silver too and (being a Cowboy fan) I really like silver. I wanted my first 911 to be
silver but couldnt get one and it was midnite blu. THen a Red GT3 so this one I made sure I got
what I wanted.
I love the RS paint jobs but would you get tired of the loud paint? (another rationalization)
And I really like the RS wing but I have the std wing in Carbon so thats cool too.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 AM
am722
Drifting

I love the RS paint jobs but would you get tired of the loud paint?
Definitely. I think my favorite RS so far has been SpeedGeek's white one.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 AM
996FourEss
Instructor

I would refer those GT2 naysayers to the following article which is Excellence´s test of the GT2 with Walter Rohrl dabei.

http://stuttgart9.co.uk/upload/archi...hp?t-5115.html

I have extracted the final two sentences here: ¨"Riding with Röhrl, however, demonstrated the cars potential. Lewin tells the story of Röhrl's first drive in the GT2: He did several laps, then came in. He was silent, and I thought, Oh no, what horrible oversight have we made? After what seemed like an immeasurable amount of time, he said, this is the best car I’ve ever driven. I’m not going to argue with Röhrl, as the man seems to know his stuff... "
Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

please order it in white w/black - no options
i need a good one when the market hits bottom
(or a RS no options like mootys cars but GP white)

Quick Reply: Smart money!