Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Smart money!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche should do like Ferrari for high premium volumes, not allowed to sell within the first year...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

SciFrog, I would rather do that then go through what you would have to do, to get a RS.
If that option was available I would like to think some of the enthusiasts would have bought some of the
first cars instead of the speculators.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I personally have three friends that have endured the depreciations of the 996 GT2 and are have just taken deliveries of their 997 GT2's, so I guess some people never learn? Or some people just see that as the price of enjoying their hobbies?

And regarding the prediction that the 997 GT2 prices will collapse, didn't a lot of people also thought the same about the GT3RS when it first came out?

Last edited by Terrence; 04-21-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: change info
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I never learn and I never let the cost of ownership bother me. That said, I waited a year for the prices of the RS to come down...I would be shocked if the 7GT2 performs as well.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree Rich, the set of people that can afford to pay 250k-300K for a 200K car is a small subset
of people whom can afford to pay 150K -200K for a 130K car.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

terrence- if I remember correctly we were all clamoring for the RS and were pretty certain that their relative scarcity combined with 130ish MSRPs would be a good buy...

IMO they'll hold pretty steady until the facelift RS actually hits shores- but since that will also be rare it might not drop too far unless the facelift is hugely better performance wise and comes in the same colors.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terrence
I personally have three friends that have endured the depreciations of the 996 GT2 and are have just taken deliveries of their 997 GT2's, so I guess some people never learn? Or some people just see that as the price of enjoying their hobbies?

And regarding the prediction that the 997 GT2 prices will collapse, didn't a lot of people also thought the same about the GT3RS when it first came out?
The RS was a completely different animal, because of the memories it evoked. I don't remember much about predictions re its future value. The presumption that there will another North American RS in the near future is idle speculation at this point, and certainly contrary to Porsche history. Only they know and they haven't said... much more likely an 09 GT2 will be forthcoming!!

Every now and then Manufacturers hit a bulls eye; the RS was one of those, the GT2 is not.

I can only speculate that Porsche learned their lesson given the difficulties selling the 06 GT2, and limited the 07 to cover the natural market. The Dealers, just like they did with the CGT, got greedy and disturbed that natural market; appealing to many wannabe speculators and naive buyers to extract premiums.

I think the point is the "premium" will collapse, and when that happens who knows where it will stop. Again, I recognize the 7 GT2 is a great car, but so (relatively) was the 6 GT2, even if it was under-appreciated.

The North American buying history has always demonstrated that the cars are most appreciated long after they are not available. Indeed the the 06 GT2/3 are more revered now than when they were available.

What is different on this go around is that the GT2 lacks technology (PDK) that others have (F1) and is coming soon. My personal preference is for a manual, but I am in a very small minority and therefore don't make the market. If that 09 comes, I doubt it will have PDK either because of the torque demands/limitations.

As far as the choice to buy one, value is always in the eye of the purchaser.

Please read my comments in the context of paying a premium, not in the context of buying the car. It is a great car even if it doesn't stir the soul (mine) like the RS.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

colm- main issue with the PDK isn't torque or 550hp demands...porsche invented the pdk for the 962 and uses sequentials on the RS spyder ALMS car...VW group(porsche owns most of vw/audi now) uses it in the R32, lots of audis, and even the Veyron (1001 bhp)

main problemo is packing it into the ***-end of a 911 because it's a bit bigger than the g-50 derived manuals. It's possible in the facelift cars that they're going to move the transmission mounting points around to accomodate this.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
colm- main issue with the PDK isn't torque or 550hp demands...porsche invented the pdk for the 962 and uses sequentials on the RS spyder ALMS car...VW group(porsche owns most of vw/audi now) uses it in the R32, lots of audis, and even the Veyron (1001 bhp)

main problemo is packing it into the ***-end of a 911 because it's a bit bigger than the g-50 derived manuals. It's possible in the facelift cars that they're going to move the transmission mounting points around to accomodate this.
I am no techie, but there is a reason that to date the transmission is only available up to 300HP i.e. A3 and GTI, and i was told that it was a torque/reliability issue.

Race cars have a different set of reliability problems.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 AM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sure you guys will continue this debate long after I am gone... I am frankly more concerned about my LAD (artery) than depreciation on any car. I know you were looking for a GT2 allocation, Colm but it sounds like you couldn't find one at MSRP. Mine arrives in early July. If you are not too superstitious about the color, come on by and give it a try. I would love to hear your impressions after driving the car... It might even stir your soul!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was offered a car at MSRP (Penske) and turned it down. Interesting you mention LAD!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:42 AM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Puts things a little more into perspective, doesn't it?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:46 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAMS GT2
Puts things a little more into perspective, doesn't it?
I sent you a PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

True Ferrari has that right of 1st refusal for resale on certain models, who wants to be restricted to that. There are many other games that go along with Ferrari purchase from what I have been told you can't even buy a NEW vehicle unless you rank high on an accepted list as a previous customer. See Jay Leno's commentary while driving his new RS.

Ferrari dealers will pay big money to buy back a new car and re sell way over list 2nd time around.

I don't see it as much of a control. You can't realistically buy a new car (unless it's at the end of it's production cycle) and for a barely used one you pay way over list similar to e-bay prices.

As for Gt2 prices the 996 values tanked right away after the Gt3 was introduced.

Originally Posted by SciFrog
Porsche should do like Ferrari for high premium volumes, not allowed to sell within the first year...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rop I THINK the way the Fcar program works that I would have been accepted on the RS list
I have bought 3 911s one used and two new and have flipped them in less than 2 years.
But since Porsche runs their programs open loop (no controls) they can do whatever they see fit.
At least the way the Fcar program and I bought one of my GT3s from a guy who sold it to get on the Fcar list and he sat down and explained to me for 2 hours. I think I would have had a shot at an RS. I was never even allowed to *Snif* an RS.
The Fcar system is a closed loop system with some feedback.

Quick Reply: Smart money!