Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT-R truth getting abit more true

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OG, I already knew about 996 to 997 part and see the point. Was just messing with you. Anyway, cant' wait to test drive a GTR and see myself. A lot of people who has driven it loved it so it better be really good. Agreed that there really are a lot of hype going on about this car.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Believe me I know about stuffing technology in a package. Thats my job and having worked on 3 different military aircraft programs I know how easy it is to take away from the original mission and get lost in gadgets The GT-R in my opinion has lost sight of the mission more than the Porsche.
Gadgets in GTR seems to work tho. I really hope all those magazines, videos and ads won't lie. May be that original mission of Nissan is to make the car go as fast as possible with the help of electronics, traction control, launch control, gear selections and engine management?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

The price tag is the real kicker...
At about the price of a cherry-996 GT3, talk about getting a "bang" for the bucks!

I saw one at Ford Design Center meets... pretty wide and mean looking car. Not my cup-o-tea but damn, those "numbers" are impressive indeed.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I am calling around right now to sell my GT3 and get a GT-R because it scored better than the Porsche in
the all important Luggage space performance test.
LOL, call me first
Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Datax
sorry I got alittle carried away I miss my manthey that was a MONSTER!!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Talking ...

Originally Posted by datax
... May be that original mission of Nissan is to make the car go as fast as possible with the help of electronics, traction control, launch control, gear selections and engine management?
If Porsche cars make you feel as if they are the extension of your body, GTR *may be* the extension of your mind?!?!?!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
renngt2
Track Day

I have been biting my lips since this GT-R nonsense came out.

It wont be long before the truth is out and Physics wins the hype will die down
and the GT-R will be compared to the regular C6 corvette.
Well until the next Hype machine comes out so long!!!!!
(probably the Mazda Miata 4 liter!!!!)
wow, some serious sour grapes provoke this post or what?

as far as "physics" go, the 997tt is itself a porky 3700+ lbs, with an antiquated awd system and a massive lump hung off the back axle. even the wizards at porsche can only do so much within the bounderies of "physics"!

why do so many prissy porsche owners get all huffy when something new comes out with all the speed at half the price? seriously, can you just go back to biting your lip and enjoying your GT3?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 AM
winsome
Instructor

back here in Hong Kong the GTR is really heating up and all of us performance car nuts are totally hooked with the car. in fact many Porsche owners with 997 GT3 RS , TT, Ferrari are all becoming (including myself) GTR owner as well. The car is wickedly fast, not just the power but local racers over here all agree that the gearbox is lightyear ahead of everything as of today save the 430 scuderia which has even a faster shift time. and below 230km/hr it can lead ANYTHING on the road and the amazing thing is it can provide a very comfy enviorment for four!! But it DOESNT STOP US FROM LOVING WHAT WE LOVE MOST : PORSCHE!!!

THE GTR is just another fascinating machine and one more addition to the awesome world of performance car. But I do have to comment that it really is time for Porsche to throw away the tiptronic and replace it with the DSG gearbox.....
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Renn I guess you didnt read my comments earlier, but the reason we are talking about it is because we
prissy Porsche is because its on the cover of Car and Driver, Road and Track, Autoweek and everyhwere you care to look all proclaiming this is the best automotive invention ever. And again what us prissy Porsche owners do when we communicate and use our independent thought process, is we use this forum. Which is whats really cool about this free country. Maybe you have lived in the communist state of Kulifornia too long and have had your thoughts mandated by the state. Maybe you should go back to your Kia forums.
Ok everyone Renngt2 has decided for everyone we are no longer allowed to criticize!! He thinks for all!
dude go look at a Corvette forum when the new GT3s come out and there are numerous 20 page posts.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Talking ...

Originally Posted by renngt2
...why do so many prissy porsche owners get all huffy when something new comes out with all the speed at half the price? seriously, can you just go back to biting your lip and enjoying your GT3?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

^^ lol

Z06 forum is even worst! Everybody flames on GTR. If you have less than 5 posts and start a thread about GTR review or something, you get banned permanently. I'm serious! Everyone there don't like that car and most of them never even seen in person yet (forget about test driving).

Last edited by datax; 04-09-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

The bottom line is this...I don't care how fast this Nissan is!!! I don't care how fast this Nissan laps Buttonwillow with Steve Millen behind the wheel!!!

There is something so INCREDIBLY special about a 911 Porsche...there is not a car on planet earth that I would trade for my RS!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:48 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richk
The bottom line is this...I don't care how fast this Nissan is!!! I don't care how fast this Nissan laps Buttonwillow with Steve Millen behind the wheel!!!

There is something so INCREDIBLY special about a 911 Porsche...there is not a car on planet earth that I would trade for my RS!!!
I feel the SAME WAY, the hype of the GTR annoys me highly, but we just have to live through it until people start forgetting about it lol.

Oh and I wouldn't trade my GT2 for anything really, well except maybe an F40/Cgt hah!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

If I wanted to go faster than a GT3 around the track I'd get a Radical. The GTR would be like a bus in comparison to the Radical.

There were always faster cars than the GT3 at the track. The 996 GT2 is faster if driven right. The previous owner of my GT3 had a GT2. Then he moved to a GT3 and was much happier even if a little slower.

For what the GT3 is used for there is no better car. If there was I'd get it. All I do is change the oil and brake pads and discs and I don't have to worry about other parts of the car failing. Yes, the tranny or the cat may eventually go but that requires a huge amount of track time. I'd like to see a GTR do 30 track days a year. Sure, it can go faster around the track when it runs. Great! If I have one I guess I can go pick up my DE championship trophy.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

The GT-R may be fast, but to me it's about what you feel when behind the wheel of a car. I love my GT3 a lot and the feeling I get behind the wheel of the car is amazing. Other GT3 owners know what I'm talking about. However, when I drive my 914-6 with a 3.0SC engine in it, I really appreciate the light weight of the 914-6. The GT3 feels porky by comparison. I can really feel the lag when I turn the wheel compared to the 914-6. The extra 800-900lbs really makes a difference.

As time goes on I know my 6-GT3 will become slower and slower when compared to the new cars, but I don't care. For the most part the newer cars are becoming heavier and with more computer nannies and that isn't what I want. It isn't a matter of being a prissy Porsche owner, it's a matter of appreciating what you feel when behind the wheel of a particular car. FWIW I'm a Lotus fan too. Nice light cars that you can really toss around.

Cheers,
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
When Nissan has racing record like Porsche, I'll give it some thought. Until then, a flash in the pan.
MKLaskin
Great comment. You captured my thoughts better than me...
Does it have a racing history like Porsche..umm NO but other than say maybe Ferrari, who does?

And as far as Nissan's racing history do some reading you would be surprised at their extensive road racing championships/accomplishments both domestically and internationally going back to the 70's.

This is no flash in the pan...

IMHO the big attraction to P-cars is the consistency/longevity in which they can deliver their optimum performance...that robustness (if that's even a word) is what seperates Porsche from everything else.

Not to mention that the difference between a Porsche Cup car and it's street brethren (GT3/RS) is a lot less than an RX-8, Pontiac, M3 or others and their respective street versions. You gotta love that about Porsche...

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true