GT3 RS or GT2??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS Photos

Originally Posted by dsu*
so any thoughts about colors? + some pictures? anyone? please!
Both cars previously posted. The white is my RS with black wheels no decals, the other is a very intimidating all Black, my two favorite color choices for the RS.
Attached Images   

Last edited by sjgreco; 03-03-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I love it!

Those really are two great color combos.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgreco
Both cars previously posted. The white is my RS with black wheels no decals, the other is a very intimidating all Black, my two favorite color choices for the RS.
100%. I'd take that black as #1, then the while/black #2. Both perfect. Awesome. Almost would make me willing to pay a premium. I am really surprised that there are not more in these combos without any orange or greem on them.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
I am really surprised that there are not more in these combos without any orange or greem on them.
I think the primary reason is that the white & black RS' do not offer much differentiation against the base 997 GT3. Unfortunately, the RS is still a "status" car in the US - though not necessarily for owner's on this board.

With that said, I really do appreciate the special colors for the RS, especially the signal green with black and orange with black. They are very unique, and look great... However, the white & black variants looks awesome!!!!!

(judging by my 911 colors, go figure...)

-B
Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

between the GT2 or GT3...

I would normally say GT2, because lets face it, if you're paying $200k or 135k euros or whatever the cost is, you don't care about the price or depreciation. also- it's a faster, more well-rounded car.

But- seeing as how I'm gearing myself towards driving a cup car on the track eventually, I went with the GT3 then the GT3RS. I don't want to deal with boost anymore. I also find the 415hp to be very linear and not intimidating, whereas with 115 more hp in a car of similar weights...I'd probably cause more problems.

I also already have a brutally frightening 500+hp turbo- my 993 twin plug. If I need to drag race someone, or just explode past traffic, that's my choice.

In order to 'have something different' than my other cars I decided to go with a GT3 instead of a more well-rounded performer like the GT2.

my car is driven quickly to the track, then hazardously around the track, and back home. I've got the 993 and the audi to run around town in, but I save the tires on the RS for the 100's of miles needed for tracking.

certainly if you're fast in a gt3 you'll be ridiculously fast in a gt2, especially if the setup is tailored to your track and skill. BUT- in a gt3 I'm up against more people with similar power in their cars and it makes life more interesting. Most of our respective tracks are dotted with 996 GT3s and 997gt3s and cup cars. There's only one guy by me who drives a 996GT2.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I think the primary reason is that the white & black RS' do not offer much differentiation against the base 997 GT3. Unfortunately, the RS is still a "status" car in the US - though not necessarily for owner's on this board.

With that said, I really do appreciate the special colors for the RS, especially the signal green with black and orange with black. They are very unique, and look great... However, the white & black variants looks awesome!!!!!
Agreed. I like cars that are special, but I also like it when it takes the trained eye to realize it. As much as I love the throwback colors that Porsche has offered on the new RS, I've almost seen too much of them and now I almost prefer these more understated themes (White/Black w/ No graphics/badging).
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

I havn't seen the allocation on the computer yet, just received the call from the sales saying that he can get me a new RS, he told me it was because porsche delayed production, that's why the car is scheduled for may. He will be calling me in the next few days to spec out my car. From his tone and the porsche regional rep next to him, he sounds really certain that he will get me the car. But we'll see how it goes... has porsche changed their mind and decided to make more 3s and RS or is this guy lying to me??

I love that the all white with black rims and the all black, but in my opinion it almost looks TOO clean and not that big of a difference compared to the 3. I think the RS should atleast have the side decals to stand out...

As much as I like to have both RS and GT2, I think i'm gonna eventually choose one and sell the other. Really touch decision...
Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

DSU I am all FOR you getting an allocation!! I just didnt think it was possible. Go fer it!!!!! I think Porsche should have made enough for everyone. They made too many for it being extra special yet not enough for those who want one to get one. Just enough for speculators to squeeze everything they could out of those who really want one. So I bet the market would have supported 50% more in the US before there were too many RS's to sell. So really in my opinion just enough to screw it up for everyone. Too many for Those who wanted an extra special one and not enough for those who just wanted one.

CJ excellent post, your point being you eventually mature from boost and would like your skill to make the decision on whether you succeed or not. Alot like the difference in being a world renown softball player (an oxymoron) and being a successful Major League pitcher!!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 AM
340Elise
Banned

I havn't seen the allocation on the computer yet, just received the call from the sales saying that he can get me a new RS, he told me it was because porsche delayed production, that's why the car is scheduled for may. He will be calling me in the next few days to spec out my car. From his tone and the porsche regional rep next to him, he sounds really certain that he will get me the car. But we'll see how it goes... has porsche changed their mind and decided to make more 3s and RS or is this guy lying to me??

I love that the all white with black rims and the all black, but in my opinion it almost looks TOO clean and not that big of a difference compared to the 3. I think the RS should atleast have the side decals to stand out...

As much as I like to have both RS and GT2, I think i'm gonna eventually choose one and sell the other. Really touch decision...
I have seen and experienced some incredible misunderstandings during my life time; add to that a language barrier and a sprinkle of incompetence, not you btw, and before you know it you have a VIN for a Porsche Hybrid GT1 Sedan. I believe that if this guy is talking about an RS, then he means he knows of some over-priced ones sitting on dealer lots that he can get his hands on, or, if it really is an allocation, then it must be a GT2.

However, if Porsche decided to build a few more GT3/RS cars for 2008, then I want to know if I can get an RS allocation at MSRP. I have a beutiful GT3 that I would be trading in on it unless someone here wants to buy it! Be careful what you wish for...
Old 03-03-2008, 01:39 AM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Here is another white RS with the black decals. I have the decals for my car, but when I saw the car, I decided to keep them off for now. I would have been happy either way. The Black car actually has decals but they are not easy to see. If I saw the black RS before I ordered my car, I probably would have choose black as well with black wheels and trim. White is a color to sample on the RS ($4,316 option) half the cost of the PCCB's. No matter what color you get it will look great, and as others have said, the RS looks different and special to most people that see it. Good luck with your allocation, color selection is one of the toughest decisions for these cars.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

I really like that White/Black decals. I want the RS look, Nice and Clean with the style of a RS. Any more pictures people? I've tried to surf online, can't find a White/Grey decals or White/Silver RS. Does anyone have that color combination? or a picture of it?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are the best.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

well...that's what i heard/thought. but my porsche sales called me and told me he can get me an RS, May production. While he was on the phone the porsche regional rep was next to him. The rep confirmed that the production month.

I guess this is one of the last production RS.
Better get that Proforma Invoice in your hand ASAP!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Lets be honest,do you really want to go out and trash a 220-250k gt2 on the track??I know you got so much money you do not care.The car is to expensive to get stone chips all over it and other road rash.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 PM
blake
Drifting

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Lets be honest,do you really want to go out and trash a 220-250k gt2 on the track??I know you got so much money you do not care.The car is to expensive to get stone chips all over it and other road rash.
Good point, but I've run with several guys on the track with their CGTs - and trust me - they really are not that worried about stone chips!

If I had the means, I would track a GT2. No problem. I do have the means to track a 996 GT3 and love every second of it.

My advice? Do whatever the hell blows your hair back... And do it before the hair is gone!

-Blake
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

with the gt2 I'd be more worried about resale depreciation- full frontal clear bra takes a stout beating for a few G's.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS or GT2??