Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lap Timer

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:45 AM
tiger 6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lap Timer

I don't know how many hours I have spent going through the Owner's Manual trying to figure out how to work the lap timer in my RS. I still don't get it.
Couple of questions. After you start the lap timer-coming out of the pits for a session, for example-how do you get the times recorded for subsequent laps? I may be reading this incorrectly, but it looks like one has to reset the timer to time a new lap at about the same physical point on the track that the first recorded lap was started. I can't believe Porsche expects us to be flicking levers and looking at the display each time we are flying through the North straight kink at ~ 130 mph.
Are the individual lap times automatically recorded? If so, how do you get them at the end of a session?
I know there has been a number of negative comments about this system, and maybe I am wasting my time trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger 6
I don't know how many hours I have spent going through the Owner's Manual trying to figure out how to work the lap timer in my RS. I still don't get it.
Couple of questions. After you start the lap timer-coming out of the pits for a session, for example-how do you get the times recorded for subsequent laps? I may be reading this incorrectly, but it looks like one has to reset the timer to time a new lap at about the same physical point on the track that the first recorded lap was started. I can't believe Porsche expects us to be flicking levers and looking at the display each time we are flying through the North straight kink at ~ 130 mph.
Are the individual lap times automatically recorded? If so, how do you get them at the end of a session?
I know there has been a number of negative comments about this system, and maybe I am wasting my time trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Away with the dash wart! I had it on my Cayman S that I bought off the lot; I liked to time myself driving to work each day.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to look at the display once you're used to it. And it's best to pick a point on the lap where you can hit the lever without it being too much of a distaction.
From memory (forgive me if this is wrong - it'a a while since I used it) -

Before setting off, call up the sport display in PSM and select Start Trip.
Activate Sport Chrono and reset the stopwatch.
Once underway, when you reach the point at which you wish to mark your laps, push the stalk away to start timing, then knock it down once (to the 'interim time/new lap' position).
Each time you pass your 'marker' push the stalk away twice - once gives you a (temporary, just on the instruments' display) interim time, the second push records it as a lap and begins a new one.
When you pass your marker for the last time, push away twice as normal and then up once to select 'stop timing' and push to confirm that.
Do NOT yet reset it - don't do that until you've stored it in the PCM - it tells you on the display how to do that - it can wait until you're back in the pits.

Yes, it's a bit of a faff and could be a lot easier, but it's not too bad once you're familiar with it. Oh, and it's just a toy of course - the urge to hit it just that little bit earlier when you're on a hot lap can be quite strong!

I like the system (just as a fun trackday toy) but don't see any need for the wart, which just monitors the total time spent timing, not a particular lap. Unless you only timed a single lap, of course. It would work just as well without the wart. What we need is not so much Sport Chrono Plus, as Sport Chrono Minus...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The idea is novel.
On subsequent laps to see out of the corner of your eye if the lap time is equal, faster or slower by the color displayed on the PCM screen is trick.

Had the Sport Chrono in my '05 S and understood the theory but putting it into practice in an on track experience repeatably ..impossible

It's implementation just sucks.

To record subsequent laps one must press the stalk twice at the same point.
Unless you are a calm cool and collected with lots of seat time, depressing the stalk 2x at the same point each lap sounds easy but my mind would be occupied with other driving aspects and I would forget or not press the stalk hard enough...then it's all for naught.

At the end of session you can review the times via a bar graph and assign one of the sessions as a reference lap for the next time out.

Do I miss it.... nope
If it were triggered via a beacon that would be great.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:13 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

FWIW, the first press is the important one - then you've got a good few seconds until you've missed the chance to do the second.
What I'd like to know is, on that PCM display, how close must the current lap time be to your fastest to be classified as 'the same'?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

It is easier to buy a GPS timer like the Performance Box for $500 and get accurate lap times, mapping of your lines, and charting of your acceleration
Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by eclou
It is easier to buy a GPS timer like the Performance Box for $500 and get accurate lap times, mapping of your lines, and charting of your acceleration

There you go, now that makes sense!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - What a pain.

I am hitting Grattan Michgan this weekend ans was hoping I could avoid installing a stupid lap timer.

I was under the impression that you could enter the track distance, and it did the rest.

I.E. Set the distance and then once you get under way hit the start, after that it auto reset itself after he have completed the desired distance until you stop it...........

Anyway, I guess wishful thinking.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

What do they call that Porsche timer "CrashMate"
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
What do they call that Porsche timer "CrashMate"
yeah no kidding.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tiger 6
Steve,

Do you even go fast enough to even NEED a timer ?!?!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a pain, I managed to do it last year, I've since bagged it.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 AM
TripleM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up reading too
Thanks for the info above

I use the chrono to do one hot lap timing then pause it, reset and if i wanna do a timed lap again, i will resume....

Quick Reply: Lap Timer