Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Someone Hit my GT3!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Someone Hit my GT3!!

I was picking it up from the Porsche garage after a routine maintenance check. Their technician drove it out of the workshop while I was paying, parked it like a moron in the middle of the driveway. Then, another customer, who was also leaving, backed into it with his Cayenne!!!!!

Porsche and the guy who hit the car are paying for all the repairs, which is the least they can do and the least of my worries. The problem, as I was told yesterday by their workshop manager, is that they can only push the panel out 90%, and suggest to fill the rest with whatever material they use, recreate the shape of the wing and paint over it. According to them, it will look like new...

Apparently, it is not recommended to replace the whole panel, since this one is directly welded onto the frame on the top and bottom. Changing it would mean dismantling the whole left side of the car and the repair would affect the integrity of the body, or so I was told, since they would have to recreate all the bonds between the panel and the frame, getting it just right so that the windows close perfectly, etc...

Someone also suggested cutting a small portion of the wing out, replacing and painting over it. I think this would affect the integrity of the panel, no?

What do you think is the best repair options? Any of you guys had this problem before on a GT3 or a 911???

Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,399 Likes on 642 Posts

@#%$^$@#@#$%

so sorry dude. I would recommend against using filler material for this type of repair, I've never heard of anything good coming from that type of style...I know that some non-porsche factory bodyshops do amazing work- the question is will they let you ship it out of country to get it fixed?

they should spare no expense to return it into proper shape since it is their fault. that's a complex part of the car but with enough heat on the body panel they should be able to push and pull it out as far as possible...maybe they can use one of those wood mockups to hammer it together like the old bentleys from the 30's.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:05 AM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks....

I would ask them for a new car, or at least diminished value. That is a very tough area to fix properly.... Looks like the door jam is o.k. Can you see any damage when you open the door, in the jam? If so I would not be happy. The car will never be the same....

I took my 993 in for an oil change. they ripped the passenger door off. The guy opened the door to get out the owners manual, while reading the book he activated the lift and it ripped the door off the hinges....

They tried to fix it. It was never right. After I told them I was getting a lawyer they bought the car for market value and I started over... The entire process took 5 months.

I feel for you.... I would settle for nothing less than a new car, or $20 k in deminished value...
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Besides getting the car repaired properly which is paramount, as Joe said you might want to pursue a "diminished value " claim as well.

Most insurance companies are obligated to pay this and the computation should be fairly straightforward in your case since the GT3 is new.The market prices are high and also public, The dealer should understand and have coverage of this as well. There are attorneys/appraisers that specialize in this as well.

The logic behind this claim is that even if the car is repaired 100% by the best craftsman and totally undetectable. At some point when you decide to sell the car, and you disclose that it was hit, regardless of how minor. In theory/reality the car is worth less than the comparable un repaired car and you are entitled to be reimbursed for this difference.

Diminished value would be calculated based on todays value, by an appraiser so say it's 10% that's 10-12 grand that you should be compensated for today even if you hang on to the car for a few years. Most people are not aware of this and therefore do not pursue it.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM
jenk12m
Banned

that sucks, i hope everything works out
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

man! guess that's the downside of having wide hips
Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

So sorry to see that happen! It can be fixed but it all depends how good the Body shop is.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

With this car I say get a lawyer. Unless as CJ says they take it out of the country to get it fixed
you will never get your value out of it. Diminished value on this car may be hard to figure out and then
claim without a lawyer. it maybe in the 20-50K range. since this is a track car or born to be the next buyer is going to want it to be straight or get a huge discount.
I like the new car idea
I am so sorry for you man!!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:22 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

With heat, skill, and patience, there will be someone (probably Italian or British... LOL) who can metal work this back out to proper shape. However, as others have posted, you have a diminished value issue on your hands.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

as others have posted, you have a diminished value issue on your hands.
and its there fault have them fix it!!!!! THis is not a 997 Cab or even a TT, you need to get your vaiue out of
it. It would be trickier if it was a individual to get your diminished value out of it but being a dealer it should be straight forward.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

The rear side quarter panel is one of the worst places to be hit, because like you said it is integrated into the unibody chassis.

I agree with the dealer that possibly the best solution is to push it out as much as it can and then fill it up. However, even if the repair looks perfect outside, it would still show if people run a paint-thickness test on the car when you sell it. The resale value will be affected, and the car may be more difficult to sell.

Honestly, your dealer knows how serious this damage is to the car. If it is your dealer's fault, they should offer to buy back your car at a reasonable price, and offer you another car for trade. You might still lose a bit money in the transaction, but at least you wouldn't be sticking with the car and get all the headaches when you sell it in the future. Just a thought.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your accident.

With best regards,
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 AM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

I feel your pain...hire a lawyer and accept nothing less than a new car...
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree also they should offer up a replacement car, but it's not likely that they will do this considering the damage is limited to one panel etc. but worth asking.

It is possible even if the quarter is replaced that the reapir will be unnoticable. I know Porsche has opened a factory restoration shop as Ferrari & Mercedes have. Maybe it could go back there? Again unlikely they will want to do this.

I would seek out an experienced lawyer for the DV claim, a professional appriser is key, for a good market analysis of the car values today, collector status, and reduced value based on car type, amount of damage etc.

All said and done if the repair is perfect you will forget it happened, if you keep the car for a long time & use it a lot it's not going to hurt the value dramatically. And you could get a nice size check now for your "Perceived loss". Not a win/win but does ease the pain somewhat.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 AM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 132 Posts

+1 on having them buy it from you for market value.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Thanks guys for the support and suggestions.

This is the Middle East and, as advanced and westernized as Dubai is, we are still very much operating in an archaic system when it comes to insurance. The dealer is the only one for Dubai and the most successful Porsche dealer in the world. Read: no competition and no incentive to be accomodating. They will not even entertain getting me a new car.

I will see my insurance company tomorrow and a lawyer tonight. See if I can get a 'reduced value' compensation.

Thanks again. Update tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Someone Hit my GT3!!