Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust, headers, etc. mods.

Has anyone compared all of the exhaust systems offered? For example, price, performance gains, weight reduction, etc. I've seen many offered on reenlist, but really don't know the difference between them all. I also don't want something so loud that I have problems at Roebling. Has anyone completed this homework?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 AM
gripet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZBB: lot's of discussion on this topic. Since 2001 I've spent a small fortune on after market exhaust set ups for the TT, the Ferrari 360, and now the GT3. What works for me is completely different than a lot of other guys. If you are referring to your GT3RS I might suggest Alec Ross's Sharkwerks exhaust bypass. It was simple and cost effective and the had the least resonance IMHO. However, in cruising through these threads I've seen guys that were very fond of Fabspeed, AWE, and so on. There are guys that have dyno'd their cars before and after each exhaust switch. Maybe they will weigh into the discussion for you. Sharky told me, "Don't expect any power gain." It struck a chord with me because it seemed like everybody else was bragging about 5-10-20 hp gain (not always documented). For me it was just pure sound. What did it sound like at idle; at 80mph in cruise, and WOT. Each required something different. Maybe its like a fine red wine. You either like Pinot or you don't. And you can't know until you taste it. So get out your check book and have some fun. Let us know what you like the best and why.
Tom
Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tom...wise advice. I'm looking for moderate power gains (8-14hp), that is REAL power and torque gains. Also, looking for the weight reduction and of course the sound. I really like the sound as is and so does everyone else I encounter. But, if I could have the deeper sound and the above goodies as well, I could see myself writing the check. I certainly didn't mean this post to step on anyone's toes....just want some honest feedback as to their opinions/experience. Some are very happy with just the sound difference. Me, I'm looking for a bit more. I have a great deal of respect for these guys putting in so many hours testing their products. This particular engine isn't the easiest to find power gains in this area. If I find it, I'll buy and I'll share the experience. If not, I'll be happy just the same. The car is a blast as is.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Thanks Tom...wise advice. I'm looking for moderate power gains (8-14hp), that is REAL power and torque gains. Also, looking for the weight reduction and of course the sound. I really like the sound as is and so does everyone else I encounter. But, if I could have the deeper sound and the above goodies as well, I could see myself writing the check. I certainly didn't mean this post to step on anyone's toes....just want some honest feedback as to their opinions/experience. Some are very happy with just the sound difference. Me, I'm looking for a bit more. I have a great deal of respect for these guys putting in so many hours testing their products. This particular engine isn't the easiest to find power gains in this area. If I find it, I'll buy and I'll share the experience. If not, I'll be happy just the same. The car is a blast as is.
Rog-

We can meet your requirements, and I would like to earn your business.

Please keep in mind that we offer a 30 day money back if you are not satisfied. It's that simple.

I urge you to give us a try.

Please call or email me.

mike@awe-tuning.com

or

888-565-2257
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone compared all of the exhaust systems offered? For example, price, performance gains, weight reduction, etc. I've seen many offered on reenlist, but really don't know the difference between them all. I also don't want something so loud that I have problems at Roebling. Has anyone completed this homework?
Sharkwerks!!!!You will love it!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Both AWE and Fabspeed claim HP losses from a center muffler delete. I'm guessing people like it because of the sound and weight loss in a cheaper package.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Both AWE and Fabspeed claim HP losses from a center muffler delete. I'm guessing people like it because of the sound and weight loss in a cheaper package.
Since i'm one of the few people that has dynoed the car stock, with a center delete and then again with a center delete with enough time for adaptation, I can say it is "my experience" that a center delete will first cause a hp/tq loss as the computer senses a change, but with in my case 200miles of time to adapt, the car will regain the lost power and torque.

I am aware that dynoing this 997gt3 has to be done in a controlled manner as the computer will very quickly move to different timing tables but my dyno pulls showed consistency and thus I believe my results are basically a true and accurate representation of the facts.

If you are looking for more torque, headers are going to be part of the solution. If you are looking for more highend HP, 200cell or less cats are going to be necessary.

Below is a link to my previous post about my dyno results

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/391584-more-dyno-results-tuning-software-test-etc.html
Old 12-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

I have a complete Cargraphic System 6 on including the lightweight rear silencer.That is not really the correct word for it.The noise is superb.But unfortunately I think the lightweight rear end will have to go as while I love the sound I dont think it would be too long before the police took an interest in the car.
IT IS THAT LOUD.
Shane
Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 AM
jsdkms
Advanced

What were your dyno results for your stock GT3?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Since i'm one of the few people that has dynoed the car stock, with a center delete and then again with a center delete with enough time for adaptation, I can say it is "my experience" that a center delete will first cause a hp/tq loss as the computer senses a change, but with in my case 200miles of time to adapt, the car will regain the lost power and torque.

I am aware that dynoing this 997gt3 has to be done in a controlled manner as the computer will very quickly move to different timing tables but my dyno pulls showed consistency and thus I believe my results are basically a true and accurate representation of the facts....

Below is a link to my previous post about my dyno results

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391584
Paul,

I'm going to have to take exception to your statements. Your results are statistically questionable, given how small of a sample you have and how they were spread across so many days. Plus, your deviations from run to run do not show consistency in results. If controlled testing were done, you would see a variance within 2-3 hp. You're seeing a deviation of almost 6 whp on one of your two run tests.

I assert that you have simply recorded dyno anomalies from less than optimal test protocols. It does *not* take 200 miles for the GT3 (or any other modern Porsche) to fully adapt to WOT.

Part throttle mapping (which is not in question here), can indeed take quite long to fully adapt, as there are many more variables to account for (correlating mapping for throttle position, temps, load, etc. which are constantly changing in part throttle operation). WOT use in a controlled test has a lot less variables for the ECU to adapt to.

However, under uncontrolled testing (which you described to me in an e-mail), you will see wildly varying results at WOT on the dyno as the fuel injection ECU jumps from timing map to timing map in response to oscillating intake and coolant temps. This will produce what *appears* to be genuine wheel horsepower changes, but is a false result.

If dyno testing is done in a controlled fashion on the GT3 (which is no mean feat, and would not be apparent on how to do this to a shop unfamiliar with dyno testing modern Porsches), adaptation can be achieved in as little as 7 or 8 WOT pulls. It is very easy to do back to back testing on the same day when this method is followed, which is how we know for a *fact* that a rear muffler delete system will corrupt the resonance tuning effects of the OEM exhaust system and result in a significant power loss. Afterall, we collected data from 159 dyno pulls on multiple cars to confirm these results.

We wish we could endorse the sale of a rear muffler delete. It would be so much easier for us to make one. Tons easier. We could sell it for a lot less and enjoy greater market exposure. However, we won't sell products that lose power, and I want to put to rest the assumption that a rear muffler delete does not lose power on a 997 GT3.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just think Porsche really maxed out the 997 GT3 engine.

Probably that's why Manthey and RUF have not offered a powerkit for the 3.6. RUF has a 3.8 kit that moves the power up 30 Hp (and it costs some serious coins).

On the Mk1 and Mk2 996 GT3, there were good powerkits from both Manthey and RUF. I mention only these two shops, as they work closely with Porsche AG on product development.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Rog,
I saw that you are in the market for an exhaust for your GT3. Here is a post I recently added which includes information on our Maxflo exhaust along with other products for the 997 GT3.

Fabspeed 997 GT3/GT3RS
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/396050-997-gt3-gt3rs-exhaust-products.html
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Another option you might want to look at is the Cargraphic power kits. Essentially same kits they have used in winning 996 and 997 GT3's at the Tuner Grand Prix in Europe.

Theo
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM
TTRob
Instructor

You know what would be nice to see, some before and after roll-on acceleration times to accompany the dyno results. Say, a second or third gear pull from X speed to near the top of the gear. e.g. - a third gear run from 30 to 70mph (or whatever).

These figures would display the actual performance gain in a way more owners could relate to.

My $.02
Old 12-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I just think Porsche really maxed out the 997 GT3 engine.

Probably that's why Manthey and RUF have not offered a powerkit for the 3.6. RUF has a 3.8 kit that moves the power up 30 Hp (and it costs some serious coins).

On the Mk1 and Mk2 996 GT3, there were good powerkits from both Manthey and RUF. I mention only these two shops, as they work closely with Porsche AG on product development.
Is RS-tuning no longer respected?

Quick Reply: Exhaust, headers, etc. mods.