Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:29 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension upgrade

What suspenion upgradevhave you tried? Feed back? What kind of improvement can we expect (lap time)? Moton, JRZ, change springs and revalve original shocks?

Thanks,

Stephan
Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default suspension

Hey, what's up?

I'm thinking of Moton's for this season. I already did the solid engine mounts and rear control arms and adjustable toe arms.

Have you settled on a good tire and wheel choice yet from last season?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

is there some way we can do a "sticky" for a aftermkt coil over thread?

grussell and john carrey (can't remember his handle, VB... somthing...) are probably the pioneers on these things. how to kill off psam, any ill effects, spring rates, set up, pit falls etc etc.....

i got another year to go before i do anything. i plan to shave off 3 more seconds on my home track before i do anything to the car.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:02 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

AWE has the Moton setups for the GT3 along with the tech procedure of killing the PASM
Old 11-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Suspension

John is VB997 and I think he is using JRZ this time. He can also tell you about the weight reduction thread. Hopefully he will post some pics. His car is insane.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Trj
John is VB997 and I think he is using JRZ this time. He can also tell you about the weight reduction thread. Hopefully he will post some pics. His car is insane.
LOL, i try very hard to ignore the car **** he sents me. i swear he's leading me to divorce court.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM
str8ner
Racer

Johnathan,

I have not settle for a tire yet. Or I should say I always go back to Hoosiers, just don't last very long. Hoping for new sizes in R1 BF Goodrich or MPSC next year.

Stephan
Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by stisseront
Johnathan,

I have not settle for a tire yet. Or I should say I always go back to Hoosiers, just don't last very long. Hoping for new sizes in R1 BF Goodrich or MPSC next year.

Stephan
how long is not very long?
i am getting very tempted with hoohoo's.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I have been using the Hoosiers. Never going back to the MPSCs!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 PM
str8ner
Racer

4 to 6 days depending on temperature and driving style. If you try them you will not be satisfied with any other DOT tires available today. Very predictable, responsive, light and of course sticky. It's like crack but legal! I believe the proper MPSC can come close and the R1 BF Goodrich might even be better. I have tried a 315 MPSC with 235 in the front and the rear of the car was planted, the car did not turn at all. A 255 in the front would have been an amazing combination. Compared to Hoosiers they would last a lot longer.

Stephan
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

4 to 6 days depending on temperature and driving style.
take avg of 5 days, i need 7 sets per year.
my one day is usually 180 - 200 trackmiles though!

If you try them you will not be satisfied with any other DOT tires available today... It's like crack but legal!
right i need more crack habit.

i dont know how to calc the proper tire size and front/rear ration to get the abs, and all other doo dads to not blow up.

so, if i were to run hoohoos, what size?

and if i were to run BFG R1, what size?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
str8ner
Racer

Not bad Mooty. My wife also drives. About 60 days a year for both of us. I wish she would take knitting as a hobby! Very hard to convince her. That's why I would like longer lasting tires!
Hoosier I love 245x35x18; 315x30x18. ABS just fine.
BF Goodrich does not have the right size in the rear yet and Michelin does not have the front!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad Mooty. My wife also drives. About 60 days a year for both of us. I wish she would take knitting as a hobby! Very hard to convince her. That's why I would like longer lasting tires!
Hoosier I love 245x35x18; 315x30x18. ABS just fine.
BF Goodrich does not have the right size in the rear yet and Michelin does not have the front!
curious to your choice of using the r6 in 245/35 over the245/40. the 40 seem to be closer to stock front/rear diameter ratio (with 315 in the rear). thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:07 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doc2s
curious to your choice of using the r6 in 245/35 over the245/40. the 40 seem to be closer to stock front/rear diameter ratio (with 315 in the rear). thanks.

...they both work...the 40's will rub the front springs slightly if you run 2 degrees of camber or more when used with the 18" CCW C14's everyone is running.

Since I did my suspension upgrades I had to change wheel offsets...I have RSR control arms, toe links , dog bones etc. with JRZ three way motorsports on the car and 3.5 degrees of camber in the front. Keep in mind that my car is a dedicated race car now so I'm not suggesting anything, just telling you what is on my car. I would be happy to share my experiences but frankly hate the arm chair quarterback blow back that comes along with it. I have learned a lot that could be helpful to some, but I went through this with the last race car I built so I usually keep a low profile. As Mooty and T.Roy knows, I'm always happy to help but the flaming wears me out. My car is essentially a cup car at this point. I ordered it with zero options knowing I would build it as a race car. I have had a 996 cup car in the past but wanted to build a custom race car to my personal preference and did not want to inherit someone else's used race car woes. Additionally, a 997 cup's sequential gear box concerned me from a service perspective...so I built a car that works for me.

All of the work on my car with the exception of the cage and painting has been done by me personally, so its been a learning experience for me...and definitely love/hate at times. I can start posting info and pictures if we agree that someone else moderates when the flaming starts about why I didn't buy a cup car...I wont even reply. And someone tells me the ideal file type/size to post pictures on Rennlist because I don't post often enough to know what works best.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by VB997
...they both work...the 40's will rub the front springs slightly if you run 2 degrees of camber or more when used with the 18" CCW C14's everyone is running.

Since I did my suspension upgrades I had to change wheel offsets...I have RSR control arms, toe links , dog bones etc. with JRZ three way motorsports on the car and 3.5 degrees of camber in the front. Keep in mind that my car is a dedicated race car now so I'm not suggesting anything, just telling you what is on my car. I would be happy to share my experiences but frankly hate the arm chair quarterback blow back that comes along with it. I have learned a lot that could be helpful to some, but I went through this with the last race car I built so I usually keep a low profile. As Mooty and T.Roy knows, I'm always happy to help but the flaming wears me out. My car is essentially a cup car at this point. I ordered it with zero options knowing I would build it as a race car. I have had a 996 cup car in the past but wanted to build a custom race car to my personal preference and did not want to inherit someone else's used race car woes. Additionally, a 997 cup's sequential gear box concerned me from a service perspective...so I built a car that works for me.

All of the work on my car with the exception of the cage and painting has been done by me personally, so its been a learning experience for me...and definitely love/hate at times. I can start posting info and pictures if we agree that someone else moderates when the flaming starts about why I didn't buy a cup car...I wont even reply. And someone tells me the ideal file type/size to post pictures on Rennlist because I don't post often enough to know what works best.
i can attest that john is EXTREMELY helpful and never hesitates to shave info. and unlike "back seat drivers", if he can't figure it out, he just buys all the parts and try them on his car first....

it took me 3 years to figure out where to get some fk'g wheel studs to actually work on cayman and 997's. everyone had something to say but john bought all the sizes and stuffed those on his car and told me exactly which one would work under what circumstances.

now, remember to buzz me when you get bored with your car... i'll file for divorce and see if i can scrape together some coins to buy it.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade