Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone want to defend steel brakes on an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Jager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pranqster, you are entitled to your opinion. I agree, Robin can be informative when he wants to. But he is also capable of some very rude online behaviour. So if you are going to champion Robin, first you should be aware of the posts he is capable of, especially with a newby like myself. I suggest you review his posts on the 996 GT3 forum recently. At least you will understand why I reacted the way I did with him. Then, if you still want to champion him, go ahead.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by pranqster
I agree with Robin that Jager's post is out of line.

I think that Robin was trying to be more precise. Robin has and continues to bring very valuable information to this forum. The lack of spelling hid name correctly was to get a response and I thought the response from Robin was not out of line.

The saga over brakes will continue. I personally enjoy all points of view. The reason I coninue to hang out at rennlist is that i have a lot to learn.

It is unfortunate that some people take things personally, when others feel a need to be more precise.
+1
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pranqster
I agree with Robin that Jager's post is out of line.

I think that Robin was trying to be more precise. Robin has and continues to bring very valuable information to this forum. The lack of spelling hid name correctly was to get a response and I thought the response from Robin was not out of line.

The saga over brakes will continue. I personally enjoy all points of view. The reason I coninue to hang out at rennlist is that i have a lot to learn.

It is unfortunate that some people take things personally, when others feel a need to be more precise.
+ 1
Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Jager

I am "championing" Robin because I am well aware of his posts. I may not post much, but I have belonged to Rennlist since 2005. I do not post much because I still have much to learn and I like the different points of view and the different advice that is given.

My advice to myself is to filter all information, combine it with other printed and verbal communication and not retain that information that I deem "not useful"

I "champion" your point of view also. But you will gain more respect if you "champion" your cause elequently instead of brashly.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The good news for the Ceramic cars is the steel rotors from the 997 Cup Car are a direct bolt on. Meaning, if you're looking for steel floaters for the front, they're readily available. The rears are of course a 1 pc fixed hat, cast as a complete unit.

997 Cup rotors are about $1000 each front and $300 each rear - a fraction of the price of replacing Ceramics after heavy track usage. Once bought in, replacement discs on the front rotor assemblies run about $450. Hats and hardware are re-usable.

Ceramic discs wear out, often slower than metal under race conditions. They're not invincible, just light weight, less dusty, and marketed well.

The Track/Racing Perspective:
I'm not a ceramic rotor fan, the numbers don't work. We run floating hat rotors with aluminum hats to reduce weight and our 997's perform well. There's a reason Porsche changed out from CCB to metal for all us Cup Car campaigners...they listened to the industry, that's the way everyone wanted it.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Jager
Advanced

Pranqster, thank you for your input. I can see why you would take the angle you did. You just didn't see what Robin said to me online in the 996 GT3 forum, and my responding post to Robin on this forum was pretty direct and blunt. It's not your problem, and Robin is a prolific poster who probably hasn't attacked you, so I understand your position.

At any rate, I've said my piece with Robin. If you are ever attacked, even by Robin, I expect you also will say your piece too.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 AM
MarekN
Racer

To Cobrien:
Please post photos of your PCCB discs, I am not the only one to be very interested in seeing some real world damage to 3rd gen discs. If you could also take a measurement of the disc with a precise caliper, it would be much appreciated.

To Nordschleife:
Your numerous inputs on both boards are very welcome and thank you for them. From what I have read so far, you work in some sort of automotive consultancy, right?
On both boards, you have mentioned the new type of C-Si-carbide discs and you seem to really believe in them. Have you tested them and can you tell us more? Who is the manufacturer and do they have a size for the GT3?

Thank you very much to both of you.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to defend steel brakes on an RS?