Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone want to defend steel brakes on an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Jager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Et hoc paratus est verificare, Nerdschleife.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jager
Et hoc paratus est verificare, Nerdschleife.
Don't be an arsehole, despite your deliberate rudeness, I did you the courtesy of explaining some of the realities associated with comparisons between iron and PCCB based brake systems. Your inability to verify what I wrote, is your problem.

R+C
Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Jager
Advanced

Listen, Nerdschliefe, don't do me any of your courtesies, ok? I don't give a rats *** about your long-winded lectures. And we now know you're obviously no latin scholar.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Hey Robin,

While I respect the fact you are trying to educate people about steel vs iron, at times you come across a little harsh for such a seemingly small issue. FWIW, you might want to dial back the aggression a little bit because I just came across this in the official 996 GT3 brochure from Porsche and put it in a pic for you. They call the stock rotors "steel" in more than one place in the brochure. People will tend to repeat what they read from Porsche - the theoretical "ultimate" authority about what they use in their cars.

Just letting you know.....

Cheers,
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2007, 03:50 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by Jager
Listen, Nerdschliefe, don't do me any of your courtesies, ok? I don't give a rats *** about your long-winded lectures. And we now know you're obviously no latin scholar.
I'm not going to defend the accused, but I'm curious about what set you off.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Allan

Jager was deliberately being offensive, and continues to be so, if you check his deliberate and repeated mispelling.

I have heard other people refer to the rotors as 'steel', its unfortunate that the copywriters encourage it. The first time I fitted 'steel' rotors from Porsche Motorsports I specifically asked about the material and was explicitly informed that they were iron. Somewhere there is some published data showing why iron is better than steel for brake rotors. Some motorcycles have/had Ti or steel rotors, but their requirements are somewhat different.

Jager [sic] states quite clearly he has no use for courtesy, that's his problem, I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

R+C
Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
They call the stock rotors "steel" in more than one place in the brochure.
Porsche brochures and sometimes even the dealer Service Techniks can be a little hokey with their "technical" information. I don't know if its caused by poor German to English translations or the fact that it is the marketing department writing them or (most likely) a bit of both? Whatever the reason, the actual manufacturer of the brake discs trademarked the alloy as Luperlit -- a highly carburized pearlitic cast iron.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Jager
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Allan

Jager was deliberately being offensive, and continues to be so, if you check his deliberate and repeated mispelling.

I have heard other people refer to the rotors as 'steel', its unfortunate that the copywriters encourage it. The first time I fitted 'steel' rotors from Porsche Motorsports I specifically asked about the material and was explicitly informed that they were iron. Somewhere there is some published data showing why iron is better than steel for brake rotors. Some motorcycles have/had Ti or steel rotors, but their requirements are somewhat different.

Jager [sic] states quite clearly he has no use for courtesy, that's his problem, I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

R+C

Nerdschliefe, if you need insight into deliberate offensiveness (and you appear to be a master of offensiveness), perhaps review your own recent posts. If the courtesy you offer is the courtesy you have shown me so far, keep it to yourself.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steel doesn't rust. Iron does. if you look at all the Porsche "steel" rotors that have been sitting unused for a while...you'll see they get rusted.

Not trying to inflame this argument, simply stating an observation.

Cheers.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 AM
v12man
Instructor

"Steel doesn't rust. Iron does"

Not true by a long chalk - even some types of stainless steel rust. It all comes down to what the definition of steel you use.

Iron with any amount is carbon is generally reffered to as steel, but Iron that is cast and then goes through a series of rollers in a forging process is also often called steel (ok some carbon is added during this process) , as are most alloys of iron with other metals (chrome for example in various percentages to make different grades of stainless steel), etc.

I think the point Robyn is trying to make is that on a like for like basis (same rotor size, same calipers, same speeds etc) then there is very little difference in actual braking performance between them - given that difference in pad material and surface temps makes comparing apples and apples difficult.

The weight of the rotor does make a different to vehicle performance and handling feel, and lighter unsprung weight is better as a general rule.

Frankly I think the carbon rotors are too delicate & expensive for general amateur track use - unless you have a really thick wallet for funding them - good gravel kitty litter is not good for them.

For serious racing it is another matter - and then you should do your own R&D to decide which works better for the conditions you are racing in.

I would rather spend the money on tires and track time - it's a better return on investment for going faster and for time spent having fun.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v12man
I think the point Robyn is trying to make is that on a like for like basis (same rotor size, same calipers, same speeds etc) then there is very little difference in actual braking performance between them - given that difference in pad material and surface temps makes comparing apples and apples difficult.
Understood.

However, when you compare the factory stock PCCB setup with the factory stock steel/iron setup (stock rotors and pads), the PCCB feels way different than the iron. From my experience, the PCCB also stops faster. The PCCB also has an intense initial bite which hauls you down right away. I think the key component is the pads as mentioned before (PCCB use Pagid P90 and the regular iron rotors use ______), but I'm not sure if there are even a set of pads for the iron rotors that would make them perform the same as PCCB in that regard.

So....if you can't even buy equivalent performing pads then the apple to apple comparison is moot because it isn't possible. Reality will dictate a difference between these two braking systems and that's that.

BTW, the brochure writers wrote this little blurb about the PCCB in the 996 GT3 brochure: "Thanks to its enhanced stability in all conditions, PCCB helps minimize braking distances in even the most extreme road and race scenarios. Inherent fade resistance provides safer deceleration from racing speeds and the system's prodigious response requires only moderate pedal inputs from the driver."

In my case, that quote above has been my experience. At times I might want to substitute "requires only moderate pedal inputs" to be "have a shoe lace land on the brake pedal...."

Anyhow, if I was tracking my car a ton I'd opt for the steel/iron rotors due to replacement cost. If I were buying a used vehicle, I'd opt for PCCB no matter what my intended usage because in the used market, PCCB doesn't seem to command a premium. I greatly prefer the lack of brake dust with the PCCB setup and when I autox my car they work amazingly well, better than the stock steel setup. If I was going to track the used vehicle a lot, then I can swap out the PCCB rotors for GT3 Cup rotors for $1200 for a set of four rotors. Cheap.

Cheers,
Old 11-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
I agree with what's been posted here. I have/had ceramics on my GT3; I've just changed them out for steels. After 10 or 12 track days this year the ceramic rotors were showing signs of wear. They're stupidly expensive to replace, so they are now stored in my basement and I've gone to steel AP Racing rotors in the front and Cup Car rotors in the rear, using my existing calipers. Yes, they weigh a bit more than the ceramics, but I've found the stopping performance to be much better. With the steels you have a wide choice of pad compounds, so you can find something you'll like. I never felt that the initial bite with the PCCBs was strong enough; I'm now running Pagid Yellows and am much happier with the overall braking performance of the car on track. Stopping distances are shorter, the brakes are still easy to modulate, and I've had no issues with fade (nor did I ever have any issues with fade with the PCCBs). So the advantages to switching to steels IMO are better braking, more pad choices, and lower cost. The only advantage to the PCCBs is weight savings, which in my experience is far offset on the track by my ability to go a bit deeper into turns with the steels.
+1
Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 PM
v12man
Instructor

If you want shoe lace landing on pedal to have an affect using steels - try Pagid RS15 Grey pads (no idea who can/if supply them for the GT3). Once you have tried it let us know I guarantee they are different to the stock pads ito initial bite. I had them on a Scooby with Alcon calipers - interesting to say the least ito initial bite.

Certainly the factory pads for steel on the 6 GT3 are less than great - I put them in a box.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v12man
If you want shoe lace landing on pedal to have an affect using steels - try Pagid RS15 Grey pads (no idea who can/if supply them for the GT3). Once you have tried it let us know I guarantee they are different to the stock pads ito initial bite. I had them on a Scooby with Alcon calipers - interesting to say the least ito initial bite.

Certainly the factory pads for steel on the 6 GT3 are less than great - I put them in a box.
It looks like I need someone to sponsor a thorough brake test.

I've been thinking about getting a data logger of some sort so maybe I'll take some deceleration measurements if/when I get one. I'm always curious about these things.

Cheers,
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with Robin that Jager's post is out of line.

I think that Robin was trying to be more precise. Robin has and continues to bring very valuable information to this forum. The lack of spelling hid name correctly was to get a response and I thought the response from Robin was not out of line.

The saga over brakes will continue. I personally enjoy all points of view. The reason I coninue to hang out at rennlist is that i have a lot to learn.

It is unfortunate that some people take things personally, when others feel a need to be more precise.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to defend steel brakes on an RS?