Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

F430 or GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 05:41 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Default F430 or GT3?

Hi folks,

Someone is offering to take in my white 997 GT3 and for me top up for a brand new F430 (scheduled for Nov. build). We haven't talked about the numbers yet but the additional dough is in the range between US$50K to US$100K. This range is based on my estimates.

I've accumulated 5.5K km so far and have enjoyed every inch of it.

I've never owned a Ferrari and the 430 just looks awesome. I've researched and understand the downside in terms of mechanical/maintenance issues.

I haven't tracked the GT3 but always take it to the back roads and let her rip.

Maybe the 430 might suit me better due to this? i.e. GT3's are really made for the track.
Old 09-10-2007 | 06:48 AM
Stummel
Pro

just do it.

easy to sell the F430 if it won't deliver and it is also easy to buy another GT3.

maybe the F is a bit big for back roads?
Old 09-10-2007 | 10:54 AM
naparsei
Instructor

Do both F430 is the easiest exotic to drive of the ones I've had seat time with. It is a "big" car, in that you feel the size. It doesn't feel heavy though, and has awesome power. The engine is something else. I liked driving it so much I put one in the driveway I can't compare it with a 997 GT3 for another couple of months, when one of those arrives in the driveway too.
Old 09-10-2007 | 10:57 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I have a GT3 RS (996) and my brother has an F430 F1 that I drive a lot. I have also owned Mk-I and Mk-II 996 GT3's. And I have driven the 997 GT3 and RS.

The F430 and the GT3 are remarkably similar in application and capability, but very different emotionally. They are both very easy to drive on a daily basis, even in traffic - comfortable and user friendly. The 996 RS is pretty hard-riding, but the 997 is much better. The Ferrari in Sport mode is very comfortable. The Ferrari is wide, though, and is not as easy to see out of as the Porsche, but it's not that bad (Gallardo is much worse). Noise levels inside the cab are not a problem in either the F or P.

The Porsche wins in terms of proven reliability, although the latest Ferraris seem to be ok. It's difficult to be sure because few of them ever see even moderately high miles. But it would be a safe bet that the Porsche will cost a LOT less to run over time, more so if you put real mileage on it.

Regarding performance, there's really nothing in it. Both are equally fast on road and track, and both will give you a huge sports car buzz on a Sunday backroad drive. Driven hard, the Ferrari is the faster car in the hands of a non-expert due to its mid-engine handling balance, electronic diff and stabilty systems. But for expert drivers, the Porsche is every bit as fast. They both have that hardwired-to-the-brain driving character of great sports cars. The Ferrari sounds better, though, and is a touch more delicate in feel. And it's incredibly stable, feeling nailed to the asphalt. The GT3 is looser and twitchier, but is no less capable. And IMHO, no less fun.

Which leaves the emotional differences. Jeremy Clarkson describes the Ferrari as a "scaled-down version of God", and the 911 as a "hopped-up VW Beetle". And that's not a bad description for how the cars are perceived, both by their owners and the general public. My RS is my daily driver. I treat it exactly as I would treat a Toyota Camry (except I park it away from door-ding dangers). I get excited gestures from 12 year old boys, but few adults even look twice.

But when I drive the Ferrari, it's like a major event. My brother hands over the keys with a set of verbal instructions on what I can and can't do. Once on the road, everybody, and I mean everybody, gawks at the holy red car God. Cell phone cameras point from all angles, and people can't help but gather around it anywhere it's parked. It's a bit ridiculous really, and it gets tiresome quickly.

Put them both in front of me and ask me to choose... I take the GT3. But that's because I use my sports cars for daily transport. I would probably take the GT3 for the track too. But if I was buying a Sunday car, I would probably take the F430. Simply put, it's more special than the Porsche, more precious.
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:13 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

I have been fortunate to drive both of them extensively and SpeedGeek pretty much hits it out of the park on the comparison. I agree completely.
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you want to drive keep the porsche. If you want to freak out with the Ferrari mile disease where you have a heart attack every time anohter 1000 miles rolls over on the clock and then just park it for ever at 2,900 miles get the ferrari. Look at DuPontregistry.com there are 5-6 pages of F430s for sale and out of 130+ cars there are maybe 2 with more than 3000 miles.
Even one of my local Porsche buddies bought a 360 and now gauges every mile and if it doesnt warrant the miles he trailers it. Its a sickness.
Sure you can resell a 430 but you cant drive it.
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:57 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Difficult choice but like other said, drive a GT3 and own the F430.
Old 09-10-2007 | 01:23 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Get the Ferrari and drive the snot out of it.

If I could get over the maintenance schedule/price, I would get the Ferrari. Scaled down version of God- I like that!
Old 09-10-2007 | 02:36 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Someone is offering to take in my white 997 GT3 and for me top up for a brand new F430 (scheduled for Nov. build). We haven't talked about the numbers yet but the additional dough is in the range between US$50K to US$100K. This range is based on my estimates.
If it is true, one should jump into the deal. A 'brand new' F430 (in street price) can go around +/- $300K range.

I am actually a little surprised that someone would give up their brand new F430 allocation (especially if at MSRP price) for a GT3.... even if they don't like the F430, they can just sell the car soon after delivery and easily makes tens of thousands of dollars. Again, if the deal is true, go for it.

With best regards,
Old 09-10-2007 | 02:56 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Buy the 430 and then drive it.

You'll find it to be more viscerally appealing and more satisfying than your GT3, if that sort of thing is important to you. The GT3, though raw by current Porsche standards, is still way too refined compared to a 430.
Old 09-10-2007 | 03:11 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Which leaves the emotional differences. Jeremy Clarkson describes the Ferrari as a "scaled-down version of God", and the 911 as a "hopped-up VW Beetle". And that's not a bad description for how the cars are perceived, both by their owners and the general public.
Great summation (your piece, not Clarkson's quotes). And that's how I intend to drive my GT3 - rain or shine. I don't have the "mileage" disease per se, but I understand it. If there's a 60% chance of rain, it's not coming out of the garage. I've driven it in rain (even snow once!), but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

While I agree with everything you said, and I also agree with Clarkson's quotes, at least on the Ferrari side (Porsches have an even better competition history than Ferraris), Clarkson seemed to be making both a general comment (as you portrayed it) and a specific comment: the cars being reviewed at the time of the quote were the 996 GT3RS and the Challenge Stradale - just to clarify the reference. In spirit, his quote and your use of it are spot on.

I used to be statistics guy, a bit - like doing the Bill James thing on cars. Now I just use 1 metric - smiles/miles. It makes comparisons a lot easier.
Old 09-10-2007 | 04:31 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

>> Clarkson seemed to be making both a general comment (as you portrayed it) and a specific comment: the cars being reviewed at the time of the quote were the 996 GT3RS and the Challenge Stradale - just to clarify the reference.

Yes, that's right. The vid is available on YouTube, I think.

>> I just use 1 metric - smiles/miles. It makes comparisons a lot easier.

Indeed. But I have trouble measuring the smiles/mile difference between the F430 and RS.

-------------------

>> The GT3, though raw by current Porsche standards, is still way too refined compared to a 430.

Interesting opinion. I find it quite the opposite. The F430 is one of the most refined sports cars I've ever driven. My 996 RS is crude and raw by comparison. Admittedly, the 997 GT3 and RS are substantially more refined than the 996 RS. Which is one of the reasons I have not traded mine (yet?).
Old 09-10-2007 | 04:38 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
A 'brand new' F430 (in street price) can go around +/- $300K range.

I am actually a little surprised that someone would give up their brand new F430 allocation (especially if at MSRP price) for a GT3.,
Silverboy didn't specify if he's getting the 430 for MSRP. 430 coupes with under 3k are advertised in the mid-250 range per the latest FML, spyders around 270-290. I'd guess sellers are getting within 5% of their asking prices.

An opportunity to get a new 430 at MSRP is a terrific one provided that you either aren't going to sell it in 12 months or don't care about the right-of-first-refusal contract that buyers of new Ferraris are required to sign.
Old 09-10-2007 | 04:57 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

I have the GT3, the GT3RS and the 430. I drive the snot out of all three of them and to me, the discussion of which is more special, more favorable, more sensitive to the "mileage disease" is not really meaningful. For us enthusiasts, the thrill of driving all of these cars plus the history and provenance that both Porsches and Ferraris enjoy maximizes the pleasure of ownership. Any discussion that attempts to rationalize financial measures/returns is pretty worthless in my view. You have them, you drive them, your life is richer as a result. Whatever happens when it's time to get rid of one is just a transaction that will be soon forgotten, not an event that should guide the acquisition decision.
Old 09-10-2007 | 05:02 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

I have both cars. Speedgeek has it about right. The 430 is a more excotic car driving experience. The sound is incredible. Everything about it is incredible.
But, the GT3 is almost as capable and more stealth. I drive the 430 way less
because I dont like the attention. You cant go anywhere without all of the
looks, pic's and questions, how much?, how fast? Once a week for Sunday drives,
go with the 430. If you really want to take it places, be ready for worrying about where you park it ect. The Gt3 on back roads does add the manual shifting
factor into play. I bit more involving.

Quick Reply: F430 or GT3?