Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

F430 or GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:22 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm selling my kidney's to hopefully top up for the F430!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 PM
TEUTONIC
Advanced

I would take the GT3RS
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverboy
I'm selling my kidney's to hopefully top up for the F430!
I may be needing one in the near future...how much?
Old 09-15-2007, 01:14 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Can anyone shed some light on how to buy a new Ferrari in the US?

It seems to be the most misterious process. MSRP prices and options lists are nowhere to be found online. Is the only option to walk into one of the dealers and sign into a 2-5 year wait list to only then find out how much it costs and whats available?

Its clear that absurd buying process is what puts such a markup on barely used F-Cars.

Does any one know how much in theory a F430 Scuderia costs?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:29 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been offered a few cars by Brian @ Midwest Auto group but unable to do anything with him because i live within 100 miles of another dealer. APparently Ferrari is nutty about enforcing stuff. but he seems to get a good flow of cars, and at great prices. he just offered a scuder..@ 38 over msrp whic his a lot, but pretty much at or just below what i've seen as market.

you can look them up on the internet. i've done a few things with bryan. good guy.

Originally Posted by cgomez

It seems to be the most misterious process. MSRP prices and options lists are nowhere to be found online. Is the only option to walk into one of the dealers and sign into a 2-5 year wait list to only then find out how much it costs and whats available?

Its clear that absurd buying process is what puts such a markup on barely used F-Cars.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
More purses and shoes. That's what the Porsches really cost me
you are lucky.
my wife has ZERO hobbies.
no purses, watches, shoes, clothing, jewelery, food, wine, travel. she just works.

i am blessed.
now if she would stop nagging so much....
Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

MSRP today is about $280K. Expect street prices to start at about $400K. And, yes that's about it with Ferrari. Get in line and pay what they tell you.

This is why it's a joke to say that Porsche is such a gouge. Ferrari wrote the book. But there are some guys who "gotta have it" and have more dollars that sense.

FWIW, I have owned the 430 and I have a hard time understanding why folks think the 430 is as good on the track. I'm no Schui (hell, I'm not even good) but having driven both more than a few track days, I'll take the 3 anytime I want to post times.

At our track, when someone shows up with an F of any flavor it's a giggle. We take a pool on how long he'll stay out there. Usually 4-7 laps and the brakes are fried. It's easy to pass someone cutting grass. So if you really want a 430 on the track, go with the $24K CCB's or have very short expectations.

The Scud will have them stock. From the specs it should be competitive (for a change) but the way F sends ringers to the mags and fudges their specs we'll have to see when it comes out. For proof of this,recall that a couple of years ago when introduced all the rags ran the 430 with the TT and Z 06. Usually the F was competitive but didn't win. Today,none of the rags even include it in hi-performance shoot-outs, one even saying it didn't belong (I don't wonder why). Most Scuds will see Sunday duty at the Starbucks and little more anyway.

The real jewel of the F's in the recent past is the 360CS. No, it's not about to whup the 3 at the track either, but it is far more beautiful than the 430 of any flavor. And with 378 examples ever made, it will be The Collector Item in the not-too-distant future.

just my .02
Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends from dealer to dealer, but this is what I've seen in Florida and Georgia.

If you have zero buying history with a Ferrari dealer and want to pay sticker for a new car:
- Option 1: Walk in, put your name on a list, and hope that in 3-5 years, a salesman will call you to buy a car someone backed out on, or to place an order.
- Option 2: Walk in, buy a used car for over original sticker, drive it for a few months, then trade it for a new car at sticker.

If you have moderate buying history (4-6 Ferraris purchased from same dealer) and want to pay sticker for a new car:
- Put your name on a list, and hope that you get a call before the end of that model's production cycle.

If you have lots of buying history (10+ cars from same dealer):
- The dealer expects you to buy at least one of every new Ferrari model that comes down the pipe. Pay sticker every time.

If you're willing to pay over sticker:
- At a dealer: Take your pick of used cars available today. Try to build a relationship/history so that you might be able to buy a new Ferrari at sticker one day.
- At a broker: Take your pick of used cars available today. Try to build a relationship/history so that you might not get so gouged on price for your next Ferrari.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:33 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Attenzione F430 owners - Allegreto and Peloton,

I understand the cost to replace a clutch of an F430 (which is every 15Kkm) is between US$4K to US$5K. Is this true? I've never replaced mine in the 7 GT3. Anyone has an idea how much it costs?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

A clutch in a GT3 is about 1500 bucks for an RS cltuch and LWFW parts and then $1000 labor?
as allegretto says why bother with a 430 if you are going to drive it AND then for the Scud whos going to
pay $400K for a car that may or may not be as good on the track!!?? Even if it is for 270K its not and even at sticker is it not worth it. $280 or 150K more than a GT3 its not worth it for a car you dont want to drive

Last edited by OldGuy; 09-17-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Depends from dealer to dealer, but this is what I've seen in Florida and Georgia.

If you have zero buying history with a Ferrari dealer and want to pay sticker for a new car:
- Option 1: Walk in, put your name on a list, and hope that in 3-5 years, a salesman will call you to buy a car someone backed out on, or to place an order.
- Option 2: Walk in, buy a used car for over original sticker, drive it for a few months, then trade it for a new car at sticker.

If you have moderate buying history (4-6 Ferraris purchased from same dealer) and want to pay sticker for a new car:
- Put your name on a list, and hope that you get a call before the end of that model's production cycle.

If you have lots of buying history (10+ cars from same dealer):
- The dealer expects you to buy at least one of every new Ferrari model that comes down the pipe. Pay sticker every time.

If you're willing to pay over sticker:
- At a dealer: Take your pick of used cars available today. Try to build a relationship/history so that you might be able to buy a new Ferrari at sticker one day.
- At a broker: Take your pick of used cars available today. Try to build a relationship/history so that you might not get so gouged on price for your next Ferrari.
I'll probably be dead before I get through all that. Good thing there are plenty of Porsches available.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by silverboy
Attenzione F430 owners - Allegreto and Peloton,

I understand the cost to replace a clutch of an F430 (which is every 15Kkm) is between US$4K to US$5K. Is this true? I've never replaced mine in the 7 GT3. Anyone has an idea how much it costs?
Don't know, never replaced one. The thing about 430's is that it is like the child's game, "hot potato (with an "e" for Quale fans)" . Everyone finds a bigger sucker (or when the music stops...pick your metaphor) to pass it on to.

Funny stuff this Ferrari mystique! The punch line is a box-stock Z 06 will tan its hide everywhere.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

That's the punch line with the Porsche mystique too!

Originally Posted by allegretto
Funny stuff this Ferrari mystique! The punch line is a box-stock Z 06 will tan its hide everywhere.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
That's the punch line with the Porsche mystique too!
1) Close between GT-3/RS and stock Z, a driver's race at the track
2) Street price of Porsche is not $240 K and up
3) Porsches are far less pretentious, except for the wing...
4) People actually drive a Porsche

Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto

The real jewel of the F's in the recent past is the 360CS. No, it's not about to whup the 3 at the track either, but it is far more beautiful than the 430 of any flavor. And with 378 examples ever made, it will be The Collector Item in the not-too-distant future.

just my .02
CS is amazing. However, there were considerably more than 378 made...

Quick Reply: F430 or GT3?